Search

Premium lane Auckland airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:31 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sopwith7
Great point.

I had checked in at WLG so didn't need to use the premium check-in, but will enquire for future flights to see if it's ok for *G flying NZ to join the express line at the main entrance to security.
I have always done this when I have checked in at Wellington. Quicker taking the lift than the escalator.

A couple of weeks ago when I went through the Premium check-in area they attached an “Express Lane” sticker to my boarding pass.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've always walked through the premium check-in area when connecting from WLG. In the past it's been 50/50 whether they ever even questioned you, but now it's important to engage with them so you can get an express lane stamp otherwise you risk having to join the main queue.

Historically I've never found the express lane to be any faster, but part of that will be because my flights are mostly evening ones to the US rather than in the morning when the airport is super busy.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Thanks folks, great info re: conntecting from wlg.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:49 pm

Just went through the express lane after connecting from Wellington. I asked at the desk for the express lane sticker but once I got up the elevator we were fed straight into the express lane. As long as you go up the elevator in the premium check in you should be fine.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
All pax from lift go into a “ premium funnel” fenched off on left to other pax by the wooden “fence”..
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
All pax from lift go into a “ premium funnel” fenced off on left to other pax by the wooden “fence”..
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
This is new info for me. If I travel from WLG to SFO on NZ via AKL. Normally I check-in at Wellington at the Premium desk and then follow the crowds at AIA. As an NZ Gold Elite, are you saying there is a different way through customs and security via a lift? How do I find this lift? It sounds like I should head to the premium check-in at AIA to get this benefit.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by MrLovebucket
This is new info for me. If I travel from WLG to SFO on NZ via AKL. Normally I check-in at Wellington at the Premium desk and then follow the crowds at AIA. As an NZ Gold Elite, are you saying there is a different way through customs and security via a lift? How do I find this lift? It sounds like I should head to the premium check-in at AIA to get this benefit.
This has always existed. Just enter the Premium area on the ground floor and the lift is on the right.

On your return to New Zealand you can drop off your bags in the Premium Area for your flight to WLG.
MrLovebucket likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
In my (limited) experience there is no active checking by Premium Checkin staff of the pax moving in through this area.

I have simply entered the Premium Hall and then taken the elevator up. Fying TG in J, but also *G. I have a Seat only fare AKL-SYD in May, I’ll try my luck again then.
MrLovebucket likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In my (limited) experience there is no active checking by Premium Checkin staff of the pax moving in through this area...
It's probably more a case of you know where you're going to so no need for help from the staff!!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by WLG Base; Jan 4, 2019 at 10:45 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by WLG Base
This has always existed. Just enter the Premium area on the ground floor and the lift is on the right.

On your return to New Zealand you can drop off your bags in the Premium Area for your flight to WLG.
I have gone through this way routinely for many years. I have been questioned a couple of times in the past year asking to see my boarding pass, but now I stop routinely for a sticker.
I didn't realise that you could drop off luggage there for domestic transfer, thanks for that advice. I very rarely have checked luggage, and the most recent time about 3 months ago I tried to drop the checked-through (ie same ticket) luggage off at international 1 hour 20 minutes before my domestic connection (thus well within allowable time) he refused to take it, telling me to hurry over to domestic. Air NZ never answered the complaint about it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by edmm
I have gone through this way routinely for many years. I have been questioned a couple of times in the past year asking to see my boarding pass, but now I stop routinely for a sticker.
I didn't realise that you could drop off luggage there for domestic transfer, thanks for that advice. I very rarely have checked luggage, and the most recent time about 3 months ago I tried to drop the checked-through (ie same ticket) luggage off at international 1 hour 20 minutes before my domestic connection (thus well within allowable time) he refused to take it, telling me to hurry over to domestic. Air NZ never answered the complaint about it.
On a recent trip back to WLG from Seattle (via SFO/AKL) they didn't put a priority sticker on my checked luggage and it took an age to come out on the belt at Auckland. I still thought I had enough time to make my domestic connection to Wlg, but they wouldn't accept my bag at the standard domestic transfer belt so I had to leg it over to check in at Domestic. With 25 mins before my flight was due to leave Auckland, they closed the flight for bags so I was bumped to the next flight. I leisurely wandered through security and headed to Koru passing the gate for my original plane that was still slowly boarding passengers and looking in no rush to leave. Oh well.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:50 am

I used the newly upgraded security lane recently. Not sure what the deal was but I was travelling with a brand new passport and was using the SmartGate for the first time. However, it didn't work and referred me to the officer. I asked him why it didn't work and he claimed to have absolutely no clue. He did have to enter quite a bit of stuff using his keyboard though. Any ideas?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Was flying QF earlier this week to BNE (they don’t currently participate in the new Express Path at AKL) and the main queue for both immigration and security was very long. Express Path pax I saw going through breezed through the new Express Path only gates and then ended up at the front of the security screening queue. Much improved over anything they’ve had before IMO. Flying NZ ex-AKL tomorrow so will get to see if it saves much time.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by codyc1515
I used the newly upgraded security lane recently. Not sure what the deal was but I was travelling with a brand new passport and was using the SmartGate for the first time. However, it didn't work and referred me to the officer. I asked him why it didn't work and he claimed to have absolutely no clue. He did have to enter quite a bit of stuff using his keyboard though. Any ideas?
If a machine doesn't work I immediately try again. Sometimes I may have scanned to quickly or withdrawn it early etc. If that doesn't work then I move to the next machine. Might just be a machine issue which isn't worth lining up for manual processing. Works for me 99% of the time. Went to manual processing once. No idea what the issue was. They just mumbled and sent me on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.