First NZ/QF flight

Reply

Old Jan 27, 19, 7:12 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Poorer Position

I frequently travel between BNE and SYD and used Virgin flights booked direct, with my Air NZ Elite status I could use the lounge and quite often was allocated a seat in row 3. As I understand I won't be able to do this with Qantas. I fly into BNE from AKL every second week and often travel onto SYD however I can't book this via Air NZ as the days of my internal travel are not confirmed until after I have booked the AKL - BNE leg. Qantas membership for me perhaps...

Last edited by JBDS; Jan 27, 19 at 7:13 pm Reason: spelling error
JBDS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 2:22 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by JBDS View Post
I frequently travel between BNE and SYD and used Virgin flights booked direct, with my Air NZ Elite status I could use the lounge and quite often was allocated a seat in row 3. As I understand I won't be able to do this with Qantas. I fly into BNE from AKL every second week and often travel onto SYD however I can't book this via Air NZ as the days of my internal travel are not confirmed until after I have booked the AKL - BNE leg. Qantas membership for me perhaps...
Air NZ have no one to blame but themselves for this... they had a good domestic network and benefits deal with Virgin but decided to scrap it in favor of a deal that suits them better but not their customers.

Sure they felt that VA was "hogging" their lounges etc but that could have been sorted with restrictions like limited guesting instead of completely scrapping the deal. As a side note as a VA Platinum and NZ Gold, I won't retain either this year as travel has moved to EK (SYD-CHC) or to Qantas.

Perhaps it's time for you to start flying trans Tasman Qantas or Virgin as the benefits you'll gain are valid across both the Tasman and domestic AU.
nancypants likes this.
henrus is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 2:59 am
  #18  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SIN
Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by henrus View Post
Sure they felt that VA was "hogging" their lounges etc but that could have been sorted with restrictions like limited guesting instead of completely scrapping the deal.
I doubt that the lounge "hogging" even played the remotest part in the decision for AirNZ to separate with Virgin, in fact, I'm sure that was probably one of the positives of the relationship given every VA Gold/Plat let in was more money. Given AirNZ is still happily selling access in Auckland to other airlines, they're obviously not that concerned about crowding.

As has been discussed before, the reality that Virgin wanted to be an international airline competing with NZ on the US routes, was probably a much more significant issue and it was never going to improve after Luxon failed in his quest to roll the CEO.
KiwiJC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 5:29 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by KiwiJC View Post
I doubt that the lounge "hogging" even played the remotest part in the decision for AirNZ to separate with Virgin, in fact, I'm sure that was probably one of the positives of the relationship given every VA Gold/Plat let in was more money. Given AirNZ is still happily selling access in Auckland to other airlines, they're obviously not that concerned about crowding.
Whilst you're probably right... in Brisbane and Christchurch, the lounge staff would often complain about VA pax. No idea why they did that but even in Auckland domestic back in July entering as a VA Platinum they didn't seem that interested.

It seems the CEO's of both companies didn't see eye to eye and at the end of the day is the customers of both VA and NZ that lose out.
henrus is online now  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread