Non-Airpoints FF to Airpoints Booking

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Non-Airpoints FF to Airpoints Booking

Hi all
First time poster, long time reader as they say...

I have a small question with Airpoints paid bookings with Air NZ... I've got a couple of flights booked where I've paid with APDs but I'm unable to change my FF number on my bookings to my Krisflyer number. I realise I'm not going to get any points or anything, but was hopeful that my status with Singapore (currently Silver, to be upgraded to Gold soon) would count for some better seating without having to pay.
The AirNZ booking website doesn't work (shows an 'Oops' message). Any ideas?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You can't.

It's an award flight with NZ as the FPP, so can't be changed to another FPP for very obvious reasons.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks sbiddle, thought as much!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Assuming OP does gain SQ*G before travelling, they should still be entitled to gain lounge access simply by showing their KrisFlyer Gold card. Or would they be turned away because the SQ*G number is missing from the booking.....?

It would be unfair IMHO if they were denied access in this circumstance (holding a NZ award ticket in Y and being *G with a partner carrier). This situation seems a perfect example of why retaining use of the FQTS field would be useful.

OP. Once attaining SQ*G, you could call Air NZ and provide your KF details, and ask for a manual allocation of a 'frequent flyer' seat(s).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
In my experience, you'll be out of luck... Once you pay with Airpoints you're stuck with that number on your BP.

Is it the end of the FQTV/FQTS entry fields?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Ah well, it's only an hour flight - I'll live! I doubt my SQ*G will come through in time as it is a status challenge and the flight which takes me to it is 2 days before.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion
I doubt my SQ*G will come through in time as it is a status challenge and the flight which takes me to it is 2 days before.
What Air NZ does in a similar situation is that they will email you a letter that will confirm your status, complete with phone numbers that another Star Alliance airline lounge can call to check.

Ask SQ if they do something similar.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
What Air NZ does in a similar situation is that they will email you a letter that will confirm your status, complete with phone numbers that another Star Alliance airline lounge can call to check.

Ask SQ if they do something similar.
I find it ridiculous that it's just a Word document which you can type up on your PC yourself. I don't know why they bother and I am sure SQ won't do such a thing.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I find it ridiculous that it's just a Word document which you can type up on your PC yourself. I don't know why they bother and I am sure SQ won't do such a thing.
It may be stupid.. but it used to take at least a month or so for *G status to be reflected across the *A network. As Air NZ reduced the time it took for them to apply new status tiers it still took time for *A to update things Remember it was only a few years ago your new status on NZ applied from the 1st of the month subsequent to the month you earned it, ie you qualified on the 3rd July but didn't see it updated until the 1st September.

When you have pax demanding access yet systems aren't yet updated (which isn't NZ's fault) a letter seems a logical thing to be giving out.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion
Ah well, it's only an hour flight - I'll live! I doubt my SQ*G will come through in time as it is a status challenge and the flight which takes me to it is 2 days before.
Could you provide the details of this SQ challenge? How did you get it and what are the terms? Cheers
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:10 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnnyfive

Could you provide the details of this SQ challenge? How did you get it and what are the terms? Cheers
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts and Singapore Airlines Launch Strategic Partnership - Infinite Journeys News Shangri-La Hotels
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Slightly different but I used APD for NZ marketed but VA operated flight. To choose seating VA insisted my VA number be in the booking. I didn’t care as I wasn’t earning anything. Still able to access SYD NZ lounge with VA status but have accessed when was building status.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

This. You take three sq operated and marketed flights within 4 months of matching status (can't be reward bookings) and you get upgraded to gold for one year. I have jade Shangri-la status via Amex Platinum
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:31 am
Original Poster

So I've finally been upgraded to krisflyer gold. I understand that the frequent flyer seating at the front of the plane is not available for seat selection unless I had gold status with air nz (which I don't).
I am flying domestically Auckland to Wellington on a cash booking next month. Krisflyer doesn't give miles for nz domestic flights so I see no advantage to using my krisflyer number - I don't need the check in baggage, may aswell accrue my pittance of status points to air nz?

Question: Is there any point in using my krisflyer number instead of my non status air nz?
​​​​​​​
Lounge access I should be able to get by showing my krisflyer status on the phone app according to star alliance rules right? Is this allowed in practice without getting the rule book out?

Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
If you enter your KF Gold ff number into the NZ booking then you’ll gain access to the ff seating, lounge access, and an extra bag ( if on a seat+bag fare or better).

FF seating on the domestic A320 provides considerably more legroom.

If you leave your non-status Air NZ number in the booking, then NZ wont allow lounge access, even if you wave your KF Gold card. I believe this is not aligned to star alliance current policy, but others hold different opinions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.