Is it the end of the FQTV/FQTS entry fields?

Old Nov 18, 17, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, NZ Jade
Is it the end of the FQTV/FQTS entry fields?

Many of you will be familiar with the FQTV/FQTS fields that allowed you to use the benefits of one airline status while accruing points to another. I was told yesterday that this is no longer possible.

I was trying to gain entry to the Koru Lounge and watched as the agent struggled to change my NZ(Jade) number to a VA(gold) number. I wasn't asking to do a split but merely change my number all together to gain access to the lounge. Interestingly enough I had entered my VA number at check in and it did offer me premium seating extra bags etc. The agent then realised that because I had purchased my fare with Airpoints the system now locks your FF number to the booking. There was nothing she could do and I wouldn't have access to the lounge today.

Furthermore she went on to explain that the airline has tightened up the FQTV/FQTS fields. She was quite familiar with how this used to work for many passengers, but corporate had been sending out emails asking agents to stop doing it. Now it seems agents had no say in the matter as the system has been updated to deny a double FQTV/FQTS entry! It seems the airline felt this was giving some passengers an unfair double dip opportunity, which I can understand from their point of view.

The agent was very friendly and apologetic and reminded me that in the future I would only be allowed to use one FF number for both benefits and accrual.

Has anyone else had recent issues with this?
Old Nov 18, 17, 12:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
There was a thread on here probably 6 months ago discussing this as the change happened then.

I believe it's a *A rule and not something NZ have done by themselves.
Old Nov 18, 17, 12:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
There was a thread on here probably 6 months ago (or potentially even earlier) discussing this as the change happened then.

I believe it's a *A rule and not something NZ have done by themselves.
Old Nov 18, 17, 1:43 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Access to lounge

Originally Posted by johnnyfive View Post
Many of you will be familiar with the FQTV/FQTS fields that allowed you to use the benefits of one airline status while accruing points to another. I was told yesterday that this is no longer possible.

I was trying to gain entry to the Koru Lounge and watched as the agent struggled to change my NZ(Jade) number to a VA(gold) number. I wasn't asking to do a split but merely change my number all together to gain access to the lounge. Interestingly enough I had entered my VA number at check in and it did offer me premium seating extra bags etc. The agent then realised that because I had purchased my fare with Airpoints the system now locks your FF number to the booking. There was nothing she could do and I wouldn't have access to the lounge today.

Furthermore she went on to explain that the airline has tightened up the FQTV/FQTS fields. She was quite familiar with how this used to work for many passengers, but corporate had been sending out emails asking agents to stop doing it. Now it seems agents had no say in the matter as the system has been updated to deny a double FQTV/FQTS entry! It seems the airline felt this was giving some passengers an unfair double dip opportunity, which I can understand from their point of view.

The agent was very friendly and apologetic and reminded me that in the future I would only be allowed to use one FF number for both benefits and accrual.

Has anyone else had recent issues with this?
so under this situation you could not enter the AIRNZ lounge but had you brought the ticket as a Virgin ticket you would have?
Old Nov 18, 17, 6:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
so under this situation you could not enter the AIRNZ lounge but had you brought the ticket as a Virgin ticket you would have?
Yes, but as he bought the ticket with Airpoints, it is forcibly locked to the NZ FF number.

Which is stupid, since the earn rate is zero for both SP and APD (which, incidentally, is stingy as heck since no other FF scheme off the top of my head does this for Any Seat Awards paid for with points) they may as well allow you to credit your zero SP/APD to other schemes and utilise status where applicable.

Annoyingly if you held, for example, CA Gold status, you could just flash your Gold card and get entry, even with it locked to your NZ number.
Old Nov 18, 17, 8:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I am not sure if the OP's situation has anything to do with FQTV/FQTS fields at all. When you book your ticket with APD, they don't allow you to change your FFP number which has been the case since the beginning of time. I have experienced the same with Star redemption tickets on LX as well. Agents couldn't change FFP attached to it even though the ticket was booked for me by somebody else and the FFP belonged to another person. I guess it was largely a system glitch. However NZ would have done that to prevent accruals to another Star programme because NZ uses normal revenue booking classes for redemption.

But I would have thought flashing your eligible physical card would be enough to get you in. After all, not being able to change the FFP number is not your fault.
Old Nov 19, 17, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
I am not sure if the OP's situation has anything to do with FQTV/FQTS fields at all. When you book your ticket with APD, they don't allow you to change your FFP number which has been the case since the beginning of time.

But I would have thought flashing your eligible physical card would be enough to get you in. After all, not being able to change the FFP number is not your fault.
Actually you're right about my situation not having to do with FQTV/FQTS fields, but I got the full explanation from the lounge agent about them having no way to do this anymore so just wanted to share.

The real take away from my experience is that the agent was very willing to change my FF number, even called over another agent who also tried. It took them a little while to realise that the system was preventing them from doing what they have done very easily in the past. I've had two APD bookings in the last 3 months where the lounge agent and call centre agent were happy to change my FF from NZ to VA. So while the rule was in place it was really up to the agent to enforce it. Now it seems the agent has no control as the system locks them out. That or some agents have more permissions within the system than others.

As for showing them my Gold VA card. No dice. I find they always need to enter it into the system to confirm eligibility. Maybe flashing a *G card is a different matter.
Old Nov 19, 17, 1:39 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Lounge

Originally Posted by johnnyfive View Post
Actually you're right about my situation not having to do with FQTV/FQTS fields, but I got the full explanation from the lounge agent about them having no way to do this anymore so just wanted to share.

The real take away from my experience is that the agent was very willing to change my FF number, even called over another agent who also tried. It took them a little while to realise that the system was preventing them from doing what they have done very easily in the past. I've had two APD bookings in the last 3 months where the lounge agent and call centre agent were happy to change my FF from NZ to VA. So while the rule was in place it was really up to the agent to enforce it. Now it seems the agent has no control as the system locks them out. That or some agents have more permissions within the system than others.

As for showing them my Gold VA card. No dice. I find they always need to enter it into the system to confirm eligibility. Maybe flashing a *G card is a different matter.
Looking at the reverse buying a Virgin ticket can you enter the lounge with as a Airnz gold ? (TT)
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Looking at the reverse buying a Virgin ticket can you enter the lounge with as a Airnz gold ? (TT)
Should work.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-o...ustralia-group
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:50 am

This is rather concerning as I've recently switched from Airpoints to Velocity and have booked a few domestic flights using Airpoints to use them all up. It'd be a shame if I couldn't get an VA Platinum benefits on Air NZ due to a strange *A rule.
Old Nov 19, 17, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henrus View Post
This is rather concerning as I've recently switched from Airpoints to Velocity and have booked a few domestic flights using Airpoints to use them all up. It'd be a shame if I couldn't get an VA Platinum benefits on Air NZ due to a strange *A rule.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Old Nov 19, 17, 7:06 pm

Keen to follow the outcomes of this.

I just was told similar on the phone. Booked (paid) ticket, used AirNZ number (not gold) when booking as just easier, then its in the app etc. Rang up to add my A*G number (as FQTS) as I have done many many times before and was told I no longer could. Previously I sometimes got an agent that didn't know how to do it, but this didn't seem like it - they even rang to a different team in order to check. They specifically mentioned how this had changed because "people kept complaining that miles were going to the wrong place" and that AirNZ had to collect $ from the other airline for using the lounge and it was "double dipping". I didn't follow the logic re the $ collection etc, but the upshot was they couldn't do what I was after. Will see if the lounge let me in with my A*G card later this month.
Old Nov 19, 17, 9:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by ukflyer1 View Post
Will see if the lounge let me in with my A*G card later this month.
They have no choice on that one. StarAlliance Lounge Policy is *G customers flying in any class on any *A member airline have lounge access with a same day departure. Naturally, you need to present the *G card as you won't have the indicator on your BP.
Old Nov 19, 17, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
They have no choice on that one. StarAlliance Lounge Policy is *G customers flying in any class on any *A member airline have lounge access with a same day departure. Naturally, you need to present the *G card as you won't have the indicator on your BP.
Sounds good.
Is there a way to get the extra baggage and priority seating without having the *G number associated with the booking?
Old Nov 20, 17, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukflyer1 View Post
Keen to follow the outcomes of this.

I just was told similar on the phone. Booked (paid) ticket, used AirNZ number (not gold) when booking as just easier, then its in the app etc. Rang up to add my A*G number (as FQTS) as I have done many many times before and was told I no longer could. Previously I sometimes got an agent that didn't know how to do it, but this didn't seem like it - they even rang to a different team in order to check. They specifically mentioned how this had changed because "people kept complaining that miles were going to the wrong place" and that AirNZ had to collect $ from the other airline for using the lounge and it was "double dipping". I didn't follow the logic re the $ collection etc, but the upshot was they couldn't do what I was after. Will see if the lounge let me in with my A*G card later this month.
The ease of having all my info plus app updates is why I use my NZ number as well when booking a paid ticket.

Did they offer to change your FF number all together for benefits and earn? Or did they say this was not possible either?

When flying with US airlines I have used one FF number for lounge access and then changed it to another at the gate for earn. Not something I'm recommending, but if NZ are trying to prevent this sort of thing then I would be very cautious of making any bookings with my Airpoints login all together.

Search this Thread