Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

VA Gold Baggage Allowance on a NZ Domestic Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VA Gold Baggage Allowance on a NZ Domestic Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Question VA Gold Baggage Allowance on a NZ Domestic Flight

Hey Team

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've been having a hard time getting clarification on this. Called both Air NZ and Virgin Australia and couldn't get a clear answer from them.

Q- As a Virgin Gold frequent flyer, am I entitled to an additional bag when flying on an Air NZ Seat+Bag ticket domestically within New Zealand? Ie: Can I take two 23kg Bags?

Many thanks
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
Gold Status - Star Alliance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights.

only AirNZ can answer this for you as its up to AirNZ
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Hi Craig, Thanks for that Info, But Virgin Australia is not part of the star alliance and have a seperate agreement with Air NZ which changed recently. As Virgin Australia Gold, i'm trying to find out if I can take an extra bag free of charge on a New Zealand operated and Marketed flight booked as Seat+bag. I understand the domestic rules differ from the trans-Tasman
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Air New Zealand (Non-Tasman - Including NZ Domestic and International*)
Priority Check-in
Priority Baggage
Advanced Seat Selection
Additional checked baggage of one piece up to 23kg^
Air New Zealand (Non-Tasman - including NZ Domestic and International*) Lounge Access *Excludes Pacific Island flights with Air New Zealand. From 1 November 2017 Air New Zealand Trans Pacific flights to and from the Americas and to and from Asia will be excluded.
^When travelling on a VA flight number. Excluding itineraries where a 'Seat Only' fare has been purchased

From VA website, it appears that you will need to travel with a VA flight number to be able to check in an extra bag (Seat Only excluded), ie., your travel needs to be ticketed in conjunction with a trans-Tasman flight. NZ similarly has updated their wording as well. You used to be able to check in an extra piece on VA domestic flight even with VA flight number but that wording has now been removed.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Woah! That seems to have just changed! I am a VA Plat, was flying on a NZ domestic flexi ticket just last week and I was allowed two checked bags for free. Makes me wonder what else they'll start dropping...
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
My understanding (which I'm pretty sure was based off the same question being asked on here previously) was that VA Platinum gives you an extra bag when traveling on a VA ticket on a VA flight # on NZ metal (ie a codeshare).

This is reciprocal - NZ HVC's only get an extra bag when booked on a NZ flight # on VA metal.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
That may be the case now, but it used to be that you got an extra bag regardless of the flight number. For example, last week I used the AirNZ app to check in for a domestic NZ numbered flight using my VA number. My status within the app showed up as "Elite" and I was allowed an extra bag.

Here's the wording from July 2017:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170706...numMembership/
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
This can be found on Virgin Australia's site: https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...us/GoldStatus/

Under "TRAVEL BENEFITS: International Airline Partners":

Air New Zealand (Non-Tasman - Including NZ Domestic and International*)
- Additional checked baggage of one piece up to 23kg^
^When travelling with a VA flight number. Excluding itineraries where a 'Seat Only' fare has been purchase*Excludes Pacific Island flights with Air New Zealand. From 1 November 2017 Air New Zealand Trans Pacific flights to and from the Americas and to and from Asia will be excluded.
^When travelling on a VA flight number.Excluding itineraries where a 'Seat Only' fare has been purchased

If you interpret this to the strictest, you will ONLY get the extra 1 piece at 23kg if your Air NZ domestic flight is sold as/issued with a VA code-share flight number.
That is, if you purchased it on NZ's site with a NZ flight number, no extra benefit.

Originally Posted by iloveflying2009
Hey Team

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've been having a hard time getting clarification on this. Called both Air NZ and Virgin Australia and couldn't get a clear answer from them.

Q- As a Virgin Gold frequent flyer, am I entitled to an additional bag when flying on an Air NZ Seat+Bag ticket domestically within New Zealand? Ie: Can I take two 23kg Bags?

Many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.