Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Can award tickets be upgraded with OneUp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade

I have a friend that had the privilege of paying for others so had heaps of APD but Jade status. He used his APD for a pair of award tickets with grabaseat to Singapore return. Is he able to apply for OneUp?

Cheers.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:21 am

The only exclusions for ticket types are "If you will be travelling on Companion tickets, Star Awards tickets, travel industry tickets, or tickets that you have won in a prize or promotion ". From that I would infer that you will be fine it you have purchased the fare with APD.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Providing it's not F class (used regularly for long haul GAS fares) then you're fine.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Defiantly works - have personally used APD on an cheap $129 AKL-MEL (Seat+Only) fare, and have an $170NZD oneup to PE clear.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Defiantly works - have personally used APD on an cheap $129 AKL-MEL (Seat+Only) fare, and have an $170NZD oneup to PE clear.
Yes it does work, but caution is required because the booking class is the key here. Buying a fare with APD is technically no different to buying a fare with cash.

As I mentioned above F class fares (GAS) are ineligable for upgrades. F class isn't sold on TT flights even those sold on the GAS booking engine, but is commonly used on heavily discounted longhaul GAS fares.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Providing it's not F class (used regularly for long haul GAS fares) then you're fine.
Just landed AKL-SFO in F class OneUp'ed to PE, so even that one can be bent
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
This is incorrect. I was also unsure about this, but I managed to get an upgrade on an F class fare (AKL-LAX r/t Economy $599) last night with OneUp. Bidded $400 and accepted 5 days out, making AKL-LAX in PE only $699 one way! Do you have a source for this given that it's not mentioned anywhere in the OneUp terms? Picture below, note: only the first flight has been upgraded thus far. Airpoints Dollars upgrades, however, would be unavailable in F class.

Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:48 pm

F class has historically always been ineligible for all upgrades. F is still ineligible for RU's and APD upgrades but they've obviously decided at some point to allow OneUps since these are cash upgrades, and they can clearly just decline them if they don't want to accept them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.