Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Poor experience ANZ Intl Lounge flying United

Old Jan 17, 18, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum

Just thought Iíd recount a poor experience at the Air NZ international lounge in Auckland recently. Booked on United ex Auckland to San Fran, going onwards in United. Would have booked Air NZ but the fare difference at 1300 bucks a head just couldnít justify it.

Checked in no worries in Auckland and onto the lounge we go. United Boarding passes have *G on them as well as our Airpoints numbers (I am GE). Computer says no at the lounge gate, at which point the lounge attendant says ďitís come up red sorry sir you wonít be allowed inĒ. I explain that weíre Air NZ gold status which should be fine, he says ď well the computer has come up red. Itíll be because itís a United flight, youíre not flying Air NZĒ. I must have looked a bit bemused because he then said ďmaybe I should check the rules. Come in for now I guessĒ.

Now in the grand scheme of things this isnít a big deal. Bit embarrassing to be standing there as others come by and enter and youíre quasi arguing with the attendant, but Iíll live. But Unitedís been operating out of Auckland for a while now and this is the lounge United passengers use, so this must happen on a regular basis - Air NZ G or other programme G members using the lounge when flying United. How many other poor sods have been turned away? Not great work by Air NZ.
Old Jan 17, 18, 4:40 pm

Does anyone else have an impression from this and other recent posts that NZ while keen on being part of *A when it comes to advertising and obtaining bookings, isnít so keen when it comes to delivering on obligations of being *A?
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 5:28 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by drajknox View Post
Does anyone else have an impression from this and other recent posts that NZ while keen on being part of *A when it comes to advertising and obtaining bookings, isnít so keen when it comes to delivering on obligations of being *A?
Couldn't agree more - use there partnerships to get the books then completely refuse todo anything else.

Had the NZ call centre refuse to get me the CX PNR for an booking that I had made via NZ's website as it wasn't on the e-Ticket, and told me that I had to call CX. Surely they would be this information on there end, in the past it never was an issue.
Old Jan 17, 18, 6:06 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
There could have been some recent internal notification possibly relating to the FQTS field not being allowed anymore which have confused a lot of staff.

They really can't rely on their scanner because all of my past *A flights (SQ, CA, AI, TG, etc) have scanned red at their SYD lounge, despite NZ*G showing boarding passes. Never had a problem gaining lounge access though, as they would just manually enter my number.
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:56 pm

This is very odd given that you have the *G card thus it shouldn't matter. Might ask Air NZ to make an official statement on this one.

Edit: Air NZ responded
jawnbc likes this.

Last edited by codyc1515; Jan 17, 18 at 8:40 pm Reason: Air NZ responded: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29306408-post44.html
Old Jan 17, 18, 9:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
This really is poor service on ANZ part. It would have clear that you’re *G on your boarding pass , and the rules on lounges are clear for Star Alliance partners.
Old Jan 17, 18, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by wackyflyer View Post
This really is poor service on ANZ part. It would have clear that youíre *G on your boarding pass , and the rules on lounges are clear for Star Alliance partners.
Indeed. What makes it worse I think is that this is the only Star lounge in Auckland, so there must be loads of people coming through it often.
Old Jan 19, 18, 1:09 pm

Programs: Nz*G
The crazy thing about this is that the lounge staff on the welcome desk are often the same, I visit often and itís always the same people!
So how can they not be experts in their field ?
you would think they would take the time to know the intricacies of the alliances etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: