Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automated passport control. LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
How do you even use a "regular line"? There is no such thing any longer at LAX or SFO that I'm aware of - if you arrive at either airport and are entering the US on an ESTA you are required to use a kiosk.

Have you asked why you get an X?
I’ve got an X a couple of times because the kiosk couldn’t read my fingerprints clearly. Was told that it was not an uncommon problem. Thought this was just by one of the ‘helpers’ who stand there pointing at people to go to various queues, so don’t know how correct that is.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I always get an X as well.
Apparently similar name to someone on the watch list and have to be visually checked.

i also bypass the kiosks and go straight to an ‘officer’ line - usually quicker at LA but do need to complete a manual customs form so do on plane.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by bce1
I always get an X as well.
Apparently similar name to someone on the watch list and have to be visually checked.
Shouldn't you be filing for a Redress Number through TRIP if this is the case? Basically a one time check to make sure you aren't the person on the watch list could save you so much hassle on future visits by giving you a number to enter during booking which says "yes, I know I'm going to get selected for secondary so can we just not?"
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Been there, done that.
Redress number in my ESTA and booking.
Stilll get a cross and several different Officers have told me I need a visual check and redress doesn’t work for those....
‘I don’t know the technical details.
Travel to or through the US 5-6x a year so is a hassle.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by bce1
Been there, done that.
Redress number in my ESTA and booking.
Stilll get a cross and several different Officers have told me I need a visual check and redress doesn’t work for those....
‘I don’t know the technical details.
Travel to or through the US 5-6x a year so is a hassle.
i am in an identical situation. Person of interest with same name, and same birth date!
Merry Christmas all.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
LAX - everyone goes through kiosk - there is no separate queue that I'm aware off - you'll get an X across at the end of the process. When matching fingerprints, watch the terminal for 4 green dots to light up. Expect a concentration camp experience throughout.

SFO - if it is your first time, go to the non kiosk queue. Subsequent entries use kiosk. Lovely CBP staff
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by kyanar
Shouldn't you be filing for a Redress Number through TRIP if this is the case? Basically a one time check to make sure you aren't the person on the watch list could save you so much hassle on future visits by giving you a number to enter during booking which says "yes, I know I'm going to get selected for secondary so can we just not?"
Can you use TRIP if you're traveling on an ESTA. I thought on an ESTA they specifically do not to appeal on how they treat you (Well if they decline you entery when you arrive).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sbiddle
How do you even use a "regular line"? There is no such thing any longer at LAX or SFO that I'm aware of - if you arrive at either airport and are entering the US on an ESTA you are required to use a kiosk.

Have you asked why you get an X?
There are non kiosk lines.

I think I get an X due to past travel patterns. I've been told redress route won't help in my circumstances, and it is just something I have to live with until such time as the algorithms decide I no longer get the X.

As a consequence I rarely transit through USA these days and also visit less often.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I always get the X and I have US citizenship. On my most recent entry into the US (at YYC) the agent typed furiously for several minutes and said "I've put some notes in--hopefully next time you won't get X'd". Haven't had a chance to test it.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Just got off NZ 2 overnight flight at LAX. Took 2hours to get through immigration, family group of 3. Horrendous queues.

Used the kiosk and then told to line up at the manual queue. Finally got to the front of the queue. My son was the only one that had an X on his kiosk ticket. Immigration officer said it was because his fingerprints didn’t read properly and re took my sons print at the counter. +1 and I didn’t have to re do our fingerprints as our tickets didn’t have X. My son had to use the hand sanitisers several times to get the reader to work. We came through this time last year, no such wait at IAH.

I would take take hand sanitiser on the plane and use it before using the kiosk finger print reader if going through LAX. Might save 2 hours of queueing. Also thinking of going via SFO or IAH next time and avoiding LAX altogether. The officer said it can be a three hour wait sometimes mid afternoon... uugggh.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Took me just on 20 mins from plane to leaving baggage claim when I flew into SFO on NYE.

Returning ESTA holders were sent to manual processing rather than joining the kiosks with US citizens. CBP guy was probably the friendliest I've ever had in the US (and they always seem to be friendly at SFO).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by dadig
LAX - everyone goes through kiosk - there is no separate queue that I'm aware off - you'll get an X across at the end of the process. When matching fingerprints, watch the terminal for 4 green dots to light up. Expect a concentration camp experience throughout.

SFO - if it is your first time, go to the non kiosk queue. Subsequent entries use kiosk. Lovely CBP staff
Seriously? That's what you choose to compare some time in an immigration line to? Unbelievable.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

An update, as I started this thread. My flight was NZ 6 on 17/1.
Got an X at kiosk, directed to manual queue, only 1 in front of me straight through.
Bags came out quickly, no queue at bag check, it was under 30 mins from leaving plane to getting in rental car at Hertz.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by wackyflyer
Can you use TRIP if you're traveling on an ESTA. I thought on an ESTA they specifically do not to appeal on how they treat you (Well if they decline you entery when you arrive).
Yes, TRIP applies to everyone. Even ESTA. The ESTA appeals waiver is to prevent you filing an appeal if you are denied an ESTA, and forcing you to apply for a regular visa.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The receipts have a code on them explaining why you got the X. You can also put in a FOIA request with the CBP to get all the information they have on you, if you can't figure out why you keep getting extra screening.

I think putting the redress number in your booking is mainly for people who are having trouble with TSA, not CBP. To fix issues with frequent CBP secondary inspections, changes need to be made to your record.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.