Automated passport control. LAX

Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Automated passport control. LAX

Hi
I have been looking on here and searched else where but cant find an answer. I have just renewed my passport and travelling to United States in January, I travel yearly to USA, but this is the first time with new passport. (Since APC has been available)
Can I still use APC, or do I need to go through normal immigration.
My wife was in the same situation a couple of months ago and had to use normal immigration.

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:05 pm

My understanding is that the FIRST visit with the new passport requires the "normal" channel.....unfortunately I do not know what - if any - effect APC would have on that...
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Everybody regardless of how many times you've visited uses a kiosk - there are no "manual processing queues" as such (and you can ignore the PA announcement Air NZ make because they simply haven't updated it in the 18+ months this has been in operation).

Once you have used the kiosk however you'll get X across your receipt it which means you'll be screened out at the next queue and sent to another CBP queues at the front and be subjected to having your photo and fingerprints taken again by CBP and asked 50 questions. Once you've done this the first time you won't be subjected to the same level of questions or data gathering by CBP on subsequent visits and (hopefully) won't get the X on your receipt.

For frequent travellers it's unfortunately a drama you have to endure with a new passport like I did this year. At least I'm sorted now for a few years!
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Everybody regardless of how many times you've visited uses a kiosk - there are no "manual processing queues" as such (and you can ignore the PA announcement Air NZ make because they simply haven't updated it in the 18+ months this has been in operation).
Not quite...
As an APEC card user I always skip the machines and go directly through the crew lane.
In my situation I will always receive and X from the machines so there is no point in my heading that way.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks that answers my question, the Air NZ announcement is confusing.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Not quite...
As an APEC card user I always skip the machines and go directly through the crew lane.
In my situation I will always receive and X from the machines so there is no point in my heading that way.
An APEC card is the obvious exception for those who have them.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Worth every cent it costs. The US do not make visiting easy
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by trooper
My understanding is that the FIRST visit with the new passport requires the "normal" channel.....unfortunately I do not know what - if any - effect APC would have on that...
No, you have needed to enter once since 2008, it doesn't matter which passport.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
No, you have needed to enter once since 2008, it doesn't matter which passport.
I don't believe the 2008 date means anything now.

In the very early days of APC you needed to have visited the US once since 2008 on your current passport and ESTA to use APC. If you hadn't you needed to use the manual queues.

Now at airports such as LAX every ESTA holder (which in reality is going to be 99% of NZers) uses APC regardless of whether you've visited the US before and/or are on a new passport or ESTA. If you have visited the US before you'll have expedited entry, if you haven't you'll very likely get a big X on the paper slip and will be subject to further screening by CBP.

Air NZ make this confusing because their in flight messages now don't match up with how the process actually works.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: NZ*E
My wife and I will need new ESTAs as our existing ones will have expired when we next pass through LAX in May 2018. (We last visited USA in September this year). We have existing passports. Do we need to go in the "never been here before" queue at immigration, or do the renewed ESTAs automatically allow us to just join the "electronic" queue.

Incidentally, as compared with the rapid automatic immigration in New Zealand, where machines do all the work unless there is a problem, in both USA and Canada you are required to queue for the automatic machine approval, and then queue again for a "human" to check what the machine has done. So much for these advanced technological countries!
Ellice likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by zoovet
My wife and I will need new ESTAs as our existing ones will have expired when we next pass through LAX in May 2018. (We last visited USA in September this year). We have existing passports. Do we need to go in the "never been here before" queue at immigration, or do the renewed ESTAs automatically allow us to just join the "electronic" queue.
As I posted above every ESTA customer uses the APC machines regardless of whether you've visited the US before on your current passport and/or ESTA.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I always get an X and often find it takes longer to use the kiosk than a regular line.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
At MIA (at least in Concourse J) the kiosks are truly a lifesaver as I'm not GE eligible (yet). Never taken more than 10min to get thru.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I always get an X and often find it takes longer to use the kiosk than a regular line.
How do you even use a "regular line"? There is no such thing any longer at LAX or SFO that I'm aware of - if you arrive at either airport and are entering the US on an ESTA you are required to use a kiosk.

Have you asked why you get an X?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
In the last 5 times Ive visited/ transited LA in the last 3 years( always with esta, always J class so quickly off the plane) its been the same. Use the kiosk, maybe get an X, maybe not. regards, end up an a queue with a bunch of other poor saps. Sometimes the X queue quicker than the other. Get asked same brief questions, though exhausted after queuing twice . Still takes forever. I try to fly through San Fran or Huston when ever possible.
Ellice likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.