Wiki Posts
Search

Tasman wine choices in business premier

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Tasman wine choices in business premier

On a recent lunch time flight from BNE to AKL I asked, as I usually do, what sauvignon blanc choices they had on board.

I was told that now only one wine of each type was carried, as the airline did not want half empty bottles at the end of each flight. The wine on offer was a pretty inferior Babich.

I asked when this had happened and was told it wasn't new. I know that it certainly wasn't the case late last year and wonder if this is yet another cost-cutting exercise to reduce what is on offer in business premier.

On the same flight they ran out of the entrée my husband wanted, despite it not being a full cabin. As he didn't fancy any of the main courses he ended up with a dessert and a plate of cheese and biscuits. Incidentally we were not last minute upgrade passengers - we had paid for business class fares.

I'm only a lowly silver and Koru member, of course, but it does seem to me that the product on offer in business class, at least on the trans tasman and pacific island routes, is getting worse.

Have other people come across this lack of wine choice as it's certainly a first for me?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
I'm only a lowly silver and Koru member, of course, but it does seem to me that the product on offer in business class, at least on the trans tasman and pacific island routes, is getting worse.
NZ J on the Tasman isn't really worth the extra now, since you can get PE on sale from $380. The service an meal in PE is pretty good; if anything to close to the J meal.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
The service an meal in PE is pretty good; if anything to close to the J meal.
Completely agree, for the difference in price PE is much better than J for TT travel.

But that's also probably why I'm still Silver rather save them $$ if work isn't paying.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:32 am

If you are really into wine, Emirates would be your best bet, for the AKL-BNE route. AFAIK they spend more on wine than any other airline for that route. On my last TT flight, NZ whites were State Landt or Kumeu River (but sadly not for their well known Chardonnay).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments.

poopbunny - I guess it's the reduction in both food and wine choices that is disappointing.

I have to admit that I've been considering trying Emirates (possibly treating ourselves to first class) but currently the flight times aren't really convenient for us. It's a pity as I've been loyal to NZ for more years than I care to remember.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:39 am

Yeah, I noticed a decline in NZ food quality around 2013.
At one point last year, improvement looked hopeful when I started seeing Le Sol and La Collina "uncorked".

I admit, I fly EK First primarily for their wines. There are some amazing wines with vintages that would be hard to find (if not impossible). Times are not the best, so I just fly a day earlier when if I can manage it, otherwise it's NZ/QF.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I think I'll have to make an effort to try EK.

I'm flying up to Sunshine Coast and back via BNE again shortly. If things don't improve (both food and wine) then it will be EK next time round.

Are QF any better than NZ nowadays? Not that I've looked at their timetables.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
In the past Air NZ food & wine trans-tasman business was far superior to Qantas. However as Air NZ's quality has deteriorated Qantas' has improved significantly.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:23 pm

Are QF any better than NZ nowadays?
No....

I fly QF only ex SYD/MEL for their First lounge or QF ticket on EK metal
If not QF Plat/OWE, always pay to try Flyertalk QF thread for a generous member to guest you in. I often check for Request or may post Offers myself.

QF metal food started going down hill much later circ. 2015
Not that it matters after First Lounge.

NZ A320/B777/B789 > QF B737
However, some may prefer QF A330 J over NZ J (herringbone layout) from Jul 2017 ex SYD (thankfully QF A330 does not use those Trent engines)
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
On a recent lunch time flight from BNE to AKL I asked, as I usually do, what sauvignon blanc choices they had on board.

I was told that now only one wine of each type was carried, as the airline did not want half empty bottles at the end of each flight. The wine on offer was a pretty inferior Babich.

I asked when this had happened and was told it wasn't new. I know that it certainly wasn't the case late last year and wonder if this is yet another cost-cutting exercise to reduce what is on offer in business premier.
While not denying for a moment that the quality of wines in BP has dropped of late (though it is usually still pretty respectable), I don't think that's a new development to have only one option of each grape type. Occasionally they had more than one sav on board but in my experience that was the exception, not the rule.

As a wine lover myself, I'd rather see more variety in terms of varietals offered (eg rather than 2x sav blanc and a chardonnay, I'd prefer 1x sav, 1x chard and 1x riesling or gewurz or something). However what I'd like even more is a return to higher quality offerings, even if there are fewer of them!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
It was only July last year that Air NZ were saying how they were improving their wine offerings with some bottles worth up to $100 each.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11683177
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
It was only July last year that Air NZ were saying how they were improving their wine offerings with some bottles worth up to $100 each.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11683177
They have, but that's the "Fine Wines" program, and it's a bit hit or miss. Perhaps the worst instance of the hit or miss was when they mistakenly put the placards out at each seat but didn't actually have the wines onboard #firstworldproblems .
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:23 am

Miss > Hit
Some call it a mirage.
others equate it to
#falseadvertising
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Can anybody confirm what champagne Air NZ are serving in BP now?

It seems over the last few months they've been offering both Charles Heidseck (which has been their primary champagne for the last 2 years or so since they moved from Mumm NV) and Billecart Salmon on some routes.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Miss > Hit
Some call it a mirage.
others equate it to
#falseadvertising
No argument there. When they -have- been onboard, I've taken ample advantage. Perhaps too ample...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.