Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand - Premium Economy, is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand - Premium Economy, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:58 pm

Does anyone know if Air NZ has recently or is planning on refurbishing the old 777-200s they use from YVR to AKL? The cabins on that flight are definitely looking a bit dated, and the PE wasn't that great when I last took it two years ago. I'm thinking it could be worth going through the hassle of LAX or SFO just for that.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by hookshot
Does anyone know if Air NZ has recently or is planning on refurbishing the old 777-200s they use from YVR to AKL? The cabins on that flight are definitely looking a bit dated, and the PE wasn't that great when I last took it two years ago. I'm thinking it could be worth going through the hassle of LAX or SFO just for that.
Refurbishment of the 777-200 fleet was completed in mid 2015.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Is the Space Seat still flying? If so what routes? How does it rare compared to their new Y+ product? Thx
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by JHIN
Is the Space Seat still flying? If so what routes? How does it rare compared to their new Y+ product? Thx
There are plenty of recent threads discussing this incl the Spaceseat one a few threads up at present.

Only 1 aircraft has currently completed. This could show up anywhere except NZ1/NZ2 which will stay with the Spaceseat until around August (at present).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:13 am

To answer the second question...as you will see on those other threads.... "It depends"

Some folks really like the Space seat...some don't.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Refurbishment of the 777-200 fleet was completed in mid 2015.
Ah sweet, seeing as I last flew on them in September 2015 I must have been on one of the last flights in the old cabins. Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah Horner
So I'm sure this has probably been posted before at some stage, I'm new here so was hoping one of you frequest flyers could help me.
​I'm off to Canada at the end of the year and Air NZ is having a sale at the moment ($829 one way from NZ!)
I see they also have Premium Economy on this flight AKL-YVR, ( on the 777-200) however I'm not sure if I want to pay like $700 more if all I'm getting is a bit of extra leg room.
Has anyone flown on the Air NZ B777-200 in Premium Economy and enjoyed it? What where the perks and the downfalls?
I know the 777-300 they use to LA has Premium Economy too and to be honest the seats look a bit nicer.... think they're called the space seats.
Should I maybe just go to LA instead and then take a different flight to Vancouver?

please note, Im also interested in the extra baggage with PE because I'll be moving to Canada. 😊
Sarah, I recently flew YVR-AKL-YVR in Prem Y and I would say it is well worth it. Huge difference in legroom, service, recline.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
IMHO NZ PE is the best PE there is. Classic looking PE seats on 200 are also better than space capsules on 300. No other airline gives you as much legroom in PE as NZ. Great food and premium wines as well. Many call NZ PE a "business light" and I fully concur. Getting a winning bid from PE to J is more of the lottery but my success ratio is 50%. I say go for it and tell us later!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by hookshot
Ah sweet, seeing as I last flew on them in September 2015 I must have been on one of the last flights in the old cabins. Thanks
Old Cabin:

New Cabin:
Old May 25, 2017, 10:47 pm

Does the armrest go up, to allow more room for the seats shared by a couple?
Old May 25, 2017, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by tak2
Does the armrest go up, to allow more room for the seats shared by a couple?
No.

It's not really an arm rest it's a full centre console with tray tables in it.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
PE TT is now becoming my preferred way to go for widebodies.

Business adds little more besides better wines and all aisle access, and Y on widebodies is much tighter than Y on A320s with Space+. PE catering is good enough, plenty of room to work, early off the plane.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I was going to upgrade my TT flight to get that last bit of space seat flying in - then saw the seat map and realised it was the refurb so I didn't bother. But have a couple of other flights and took the space seat. Hoping there's no swaps and the refurb is diverted to some other TT port
Old May 26, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by libertyuk
PE TT is now becoming my preferred way to go for widebodies.

Business adds little more besides better wines and all aisle access, and Y on widebodies is much tighter than Y on A320s with Space+. PE catering is good enough, plenty of room to work, early off the plane.
And if you forget about Lounge access, NZ's PE is pretty much better than VA/QF's TT J product on the 738.

Why anyone would pay $1000ow for AKL-SYD on VA J is beside me.

Doesnt NZ PE have more pitch than VA J too?
Old May 26, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I was going to upgrade my TT flight to get that last bit of space seat flying in - then saw the seat map and realised it was the refurb so I didn't bother. But have a couple of other flights and took the space seat. Hoping there's no swaps and the refurb is diverted to some other TT port
Yes I had one flight last week which we oneuped and after bids couldn't be changed noticed there was a change to refurbed 773.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.