Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Priority

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's worth remembering the vast majority of upgrades don't clear until check-in or at the gate.
So you could theoretically purchase a fully flexible ticket, apply the RU, check-in and then cancel the flight and rebook if you didn't get the RU?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
That would be quite extreme especially on long haul where often Hotels/tours/car rental and other bookings would have to shift
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Questions and advice please.
Wife and I booked in PE for flights in March, same PNR.
Wife currently no NZ Status but will have EP November 2018.
Me NZ GE currently and re-qualified until November 2019. RUs for current year are used up, will get two more in November.
My current Elite Partner (my mother) has qualified as NZ G in her own right and has two RUs that she will not use. She loses EP in November, but keeps Gold until June 2019.

Have already lodged an E AP upgrade for wife on outbound flight, did not clear right away. Did not have quite enough AP to upgrade myself as well, but will later on in November after more flights.

My thought is to use one of my mother's RU's to upgrade myself for the outbound, and to possibly cancel wife's E AP upgrade request and use both of Mum's RU's instead.
Will use my E RU's for the return.

What would be the priority ranking for all this?
If more info needed for accurate answers, please ask.
How is NZ at sticking to the upgrade priority protocol? Is it automated or subject to human intervention?!

TIA
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Upgrade

I was unaware a gold RU could be transfered to another person
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Beano
You could be right. Just checked the Ts&Cs, didn't see anything there either way.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Beano
They can't.
taupo likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:08 pm

If upgrading is so important why not just buy some APD? If you don't have an Air NZ Airpoints credit card the low fee one is only $25 year.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
You can't gift Gold RUs so that is out of the equation. But let's say you could - what would the priority be? I recently had this issue come up (except it was gifting GE RUs which obviously is OK).

I believe it would've been cleared at your level as you're on the same PNR. When you receive a RU, it gets cleared at YOUR level, not the giftees, UNLESS you are on the same PNR. Since you aren't on the same PNR as your mother, it would be cleared at the highest level of you/your wife as you either get upgraded together or rejected together unless I'm mistaken.

If they are cleared individually then yours would be assessed at GE, i.e. at the very top of the upgrade chain, and your wife would be assessed at Jade, which is at the VERY BOTTOM of the upgrade chain (my Air NZ rep said Jade RUs cleared below OneUps but that is controversial on here).

However, APD's are ALWAYS assessed at GE level, no matter the status of the person receiving it, which is also above Gold RUs. I'd much rather upgrade a relative with no status an APD upgrade since it's far more likely to clear that gifting them one of my RUs.
taupo likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:19 am

If upgrading is so important why not just buy some APD? If you don't have an Air NZ Airpoints credit card the low fee one is only $25 year.
Cannot get the card as a non NZ resident.

No Shairpoints either.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I realise that OneUps come below all the other upgrade requests, but within the hierarchy of OneUp requests where do gifted OneUps from status members sit?

Since I am (briefly ) a NZ*G, I know that if I make a OneUp bid on my own itinerary, the bid will be upweighted by 30%. However what if I use my APD to gift a OneUp to someone (with no status) on my gifting register - does that get upweighted, or treated the same as if they had bid themselves? And what if I use cash rather than APD?

I'm planning to use a shorthaul RU for an upcoming flight, but for my partner (no status, different booking, same flight) am wondering whether it makes any difference to log in as me and gift the upgrade...
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:48 am

You can't gift upgrades being Gold.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
You can't gift upgrades being Gold.
My question was about gifting a OneUp upgrade, not an RU. AirNZ site seems to say you can gift them:
https://airnz.custhelp.com/app/answe...ng-register%3F

It's not clear on whether the Gold uplift applies to OneUps gifted by a gold member, though.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
You can gift a oneup upgrade, I did it at gold status. I don't think they get your uplift but you would have to check. If you are on the same ticket then they get your uplift.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:31 pm

Upgrade priority question

Wife (GE Partner) and I (GE) heading back to AKL end of Feb, back to YVR March.
Outbound YVR-AKL booked in BP, was on sale.
AKL-YVR booked in PY with RU request to BP lodged at time of booking.

Assuming other GE's have an APD or RU request, does it come down to who lodged their's first?
If one seat is available, we lodged first, do they offer the seat to one of us (two on one PNR) or skip over us as we are two, to the single pax?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
First in line is the order of upgrades after tier status. I have been given an upgrade before and my wife missed out (same PNR). Needless to say I sat with her😩
kiwifrequentflyer and taupo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.