Wiki Posts
Search

NZ1/2 with tightening of US border

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:02 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by jawnbc
Not brown? You must not live in Auckland...

I think NZ would do well with a service AKL YVR JFK. Not competing directly with AC (for whom the Canadian government is wildly protectionist, ask EK and SQ), alternative to EWR and LGA. Currently PR and CX operate it and get good revenue that many Aeroplan members would rather accrue some points.

Mind you, this is a totally self-serving post: I have family in Vancouver and Nassau Co. (Long Island).
United has pulled out of JFK, but AKL-YVR-EWR and AKL-HNL-YYZ on a 260 seat 789 could both make sense, if traffic and carriage rights were obtained.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I think Trump has bigger fish to fry than kiwi's. Can't see NZ being affected to the point of dropping routes.
there are talks as well of ESTA being dropped for all visa waiver countries which includes EU+AU/NZ passport holders.

this IMO would be a catastrophy for business travel but it definitely makes me wonder what backup plans NZ has for this scenario. Already a PITA transiting through LAX and having to clear customs compared to other airports (written from NRT where I was airside again 3 minutes after getting off my LX flight)
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZDavid
there are talks as well of ESTA being dropped for all visa waiver countries which includes EU+AU/NZ passport holders.

this IMO would be a catastrophy for business travel but it definitely makes me wonder what backup plans NZ has for this scenario. Already a PITA transiting through LAX and having to clear customs compared to other airports (written from NRT where I was airside again 3 minutes after getting off my LX flight)
Do think the temporary emergency option would be AKL-YVR-LHR in the short-term, until they had an chance to review. (Provided that they could get air rights).

If it did happen NZ has 13 777s that would need to find an new use fast.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.

See upthread, this isn't the case.

Some outlets mistook the VIWP for the VWP, it's since been clarified that the VWP and ESTA system won't be affected.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is absolutely nothing at this point to suggest the current VWP / ESTA program would change in any way. Any suggestions of changes have no doubt come from the very confused media who didn't understand what the changes on Friday meant and ran with news stories that were completely incorrect.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by sbiddle
There is absolutely nothing at this point to suggest the current VWP / ESTA program would change in any way. Any suggestions of changes have no doubt come from the very confused media who didn't understand what the changes on Friday meant and ran with news stories that were completely incorrect.
sorry I perhaps wasn't very clear in my original message. Indeed only the interview waiver programme is being dropped. However there has been speculation since the campaign what the long term aim was with ESTA. Especially as Trump said in 2015 he wants all Muslims that enter the US to undergo extensive screening and I doubt this could be easily verified with ESTA. Of course this is speculation at this point and let's hope it doesn't get to this point seeing as this would have very significant impact on all trade and tourism globally.

Article from before election : https://www.esta-online.com/blogs/trump-transforming-vwp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.