FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   NZ1/2 with tightening of US border (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1817785-nz1-2-tightening-us-border.html)

nzkarit Jan 25, 2017 7:44 pm

NZ1/2 with tightening of US border

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...s-border-rules

Does anyone know if NZ has any plans if the new US border rules pan out? As transiting LAX to LHR won't be worth it if require a sit down interview at the Embassy etc.

Can they redirect the flight through Vancouver? Or the Singapore or Hong Kong? Maybe the new lounge in Perth is for LHR flights????

Aqua_3380 Jan 25, 2017 8:41 pm

I gather it is being reported incorrectly. The change is for people with an existing visa (i.e. from countries that are not subject to a visa waiver). Such visas can no longer be renewed without an interview at the consulate.
For people who are eligible for a visa waiver, no changes. Or at least I hope that's what's happening.

Top of climb Jan 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aqua_3380 (Post 27818599)
I gather it is being reported incorrectly. The change is for people with an existing visa (i.e. from countries that are not subject to a visa waiver). Such visas can no longer be renewed without an interview at the consulate.
For people who are eligible for a visa waiver, no changes. Or at least I hope that's what's happening.

Correct (somewhat): the Visa Interview Waiver Programme is NOT the same as the Visa Waiver Programme. The Visa Interview Waiver Programme is for people who are (re)applying for non-immigrant visas to the US and basically exempts those who qualify under the published criteria from needing to present for an interview (which would otherwise be required). Admission to the US under the Visa Waiver Programme (which would most NZ travellers going on holiday to the US) does NOT require applying for a non-immigrant visa (hence "visa waiver") and so this executive order does NOT affect it. The difference being Visa Waiver - i.e. waiver of visa - and Visa Interview Waiver - i.e. waiver of visa interview.

Typical shoddy reporting from someone who didn't bother doing their research properly before shooting off at the mouth...

trooper Jan 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb (Post 27818618)
Typical shoddy reporting from someone who didn't bother doing their research properly before shooting off at the mouth...

Depressingly common isn't it?

curioustill Jan 25, 2017 11:33 pm

Sad how it's coming from RadioNZ... a news source I've been using since NZHerald went downhill

sbiddle Jan 26, 2017 12:02 am

Radio NZ sourced it from news.com.au and reported it (and didn't correct it until later this evening) despite being told it was incorrect. The US document is even online for anybody to read.

jawnbc Jan 26, 2017 8:53 pm

NZ's flight crews, paradoxically, would be affected--since they all have work visas of some sort (unless they hold US citizenship). Or has that changed?

waterwingsNZ Jan 26, 2017 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc (Post 27823348)
NZ's flight crews, paradoxically, would be affected--since they all have work visas of some sort (unless they hold US citizenship). Or has that changed?

An annoyance mostly. Right now all have to attend an initial interview but for subsequent renewals, that is usually waived. C1/D plus B1/B2 are the Visa's crew need to hold so it'll be a visit every five years now.

Mwenenzi Jan 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 27819101)
Radio NZ sourced it from news.com.au and reported it (and didn't correct it until later this evening) despite being told it was incorrect. The US document is even online for anybody to read.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ogram-end.html No. Au press reports are wrong

No point commenting on something that is incorrect

henrus Jan 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc (Post 27823348)

NZ USA based crew/staff would not be affected but everyone else who typically applies for a crew visa will be.

I don't think they allow the crewmembers to use the visa waiver but you never know.

cavemanzk Jan 28, 2017 7:16 pm

It does beg the question though, what NZ's plan would be if Trump decides to lock down the boarders even more.

For example if they make it harder for New Zealand passport holders to enter the USA, it would have an huge implication on NZ's services to the US. Maybe even to the point of dropping them.

Could we maybe see some new Canada routes.

NZbutterfly Jan 28, 2017 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 27832304)
It does beg the question though, what NZ's plan would be if Trump decides to lock down the boarders even more.

For example if they make it harder for New Zealand passport holders to enter the USA, it would have an huge implication on NZ's services to the US. Maybe even to the point of dropping them.

I think Trump has bigger fish to fry than kiwi's. Can't see NZ being affected to the point of dropping routes.

codyc1515 Jan 28, 2017 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 27832304)

Yeah but we're not brown and / or muslim, we'll be fine. In saying that, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have some flights via. PER.

Kiwiwings Jan 29, 2017 12:02 am

The biggest problem I see with getting kiwis to the UK via Perth is that it's rather indirect, the most direct route would involve a stop in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in the far East of Russia or alternatively northern Japan.

jawnbc Jan 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Not brown? You must not live in Auckland...

I think NZ would do well with a service AKL YVR JFK. Not competing directly with AC (for whom the Canadian government is wildly protectionist, ask EK and SQ), alternative to EWR and LGA. Currently PR and CX operate it and get good revenue that many Aeroplan members would rather accrue some points.

Mind you, this is a totally self-serving post: I have family in Vancouver and Nassau Co. (Long Island). :)

Originally Posted by codyc1515 (Post 27832981)
Yeah but we're not brown and / or muslim, we'll be fine. In saying that, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have some flights via. PER.