Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Upgrading when booked on United but Air NZ metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum

Hi all

Have been booked in economy to the States and back on United (complicated reasons but this is not changeable). Both flights are operated by Air NZ (to San Fran on way there; from Houston on way back) but the flight numbers are obviously United.

Rang Air NZ this evening to talk about upgrade options. Unsurprisingly Air NZ recognition and points based upgrades are out. Fair enough. I assumed I would be able to use points for a Star Alliance upgrade. No can do apparently.

This seems utterly ridiculous - the agent confirmed there is no possible way to upgrade, even though I am traveling on Star Alliance carriers, I have plenty of APD, and it's even an Air NZ plane.

So, what to do - change itinerary and take actual United planes via Australia? I hear they are horrible in Y; but upgrades could come through?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is booking class?
You need to check if codeshares are eligible
FT
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...-y-b-only.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html

Star
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/how-to-upgrade/
www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/upgrade-awards/
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:35 am

No can do unfortunately. Must be on an NZ ticket and have NZ flight numbers.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There are no options for an upgrade when you're flying codeshare.

*A upgrades exclude codeshare flights, as do RU and OneUp and paying extra at the gate.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Looking at this situation as the fare akl-sfo next April is showing $597 on a united codeshare flight booked via air NZ site. Does anyone know if you can apply for upgrade with united frequent flyer membership? Would they take into account that the traveller is an air NZ elite? Just a long shot as the price to fly on an air NZ flight is $960 or so.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:27 pm

I suspect not... again due to the mismatch between operating carrier and FFP.

For the OP's 2nd question... presumably if you are booked on UA metal through UA you could upgrade... but I would think only with UA upgrade instruments...OR as a *A upgrade if booked in Y or B

Last edited by trooper; Oct 29, 2016 at 11:35 pm
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
I suspect not... again due to the mismatch between operating carrier and FFP.

For the OP's 2nd question... presumably if you are booked on UA metal through UA you could upgrade... but I would think only with UA upgrade instruments...OR as a *A upgrade if booked in Y or B
Thanks I'll have a look at what's involved in a *A upgrade. Never attempted one of those before.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Can you change to the UA metal 789 AKL-SFO flight? I was on that a month ago or so, was very comfortable (and half empty, had 3 seats to myself in economy plus)
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Can you change to the UA metal 789 AKL-SFO flight? I was on that a month ago or so, was very comfortable (and half empty, had 3 seats to myself in economy plus)
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Haven't booked yet.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Do you know what economy plus is??
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
The lack of ability to upgrade on these code share flights seems crazy, I do wish they would change the rules. Although I assume they have good reasons.

I can sort of understand them not liking an upgrade in this situation, but if an Air NZ Eleite is flight on a United Plane with an NZ flight number I feelthey should be able to use Recognition Upgrades and APD upgrades.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by Ellice
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Haven't booked yet.
Obviously wouldn't bank on it, but I've also had two flights AKL - SFO on UA 787 with a row of three seats to myself in Economy Plus. Happily made a makeshift bed.

Id say a high proportion of pax departing AKL on that route will be Air NZ bookings, meaning it is less likely they will know about economy plus or that you can upgrade, until on the plane.

Even with UA HVP being put in Economy Plus, there seem to be a large number of seats still available as it doesn't appear to be a popular flight.

Bit of potential consolation prize I guess.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Kiwiwings
The lack of ability to upgrade on these code share flights seems crazy, I do wish they would change the rules. Although I assume they have good reasons.

I can sort of understand them not liking an upgrade in this situation, but if an Air NZ Eleite is flight on a United Plane with an NZ flight number I feelthey should be able to use Recognition Upgrades and APD upgrades.
Lots of United flights have NZ flight numbers (as do lots of other airlines) so it's not possible to have this because 99% of United flights are simply codeshare.

AKL-SFO on the other hand is different. It's a revenue sharing agreement so the usual reasons for not allowing upgrades don't apply.

The problem is United don't have PE so they would need to still keep 2x RU to get to BP. How would UA and NZ pax be ranked when it comes to applying upgrades? And how would NZ pax feel if they missed out on an upgrade on NZ metal because a UA pax got one? All these put the problem in the too hard basket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.