best strategy for upgrades clearing

Old Nov 1, 16, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum
best strategy for upgrades clearing

Evening all

Partner and I booked to and from London on Air NZ over December/January. We've used our our RU upgrades on the NZ flight ex AKL to HKG on the way there - hopefully they clear all the way to Business Premier.

Wondering what the best strategy is for the way back - I have plenty of APD and could try and upgrade on both legs on the way back (NZ all the way through LAX) but if the upgrades don't clear on the way there, clearly I'd prefer to use the recognition upgrades before APD.

This problem must happen all the time - what's the best thing to do?

We fly December 15; back January 9.
Old Nov 1, 16, 12:18 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Given that it's over the holidays and there will be high loads between NZ and the motherland, I think your chances on the return leg would be pretty slim if you wait until the outbound leg to lodge upgrades for the return. Especially since you're returning through LAX where you have scads of cashed-up Americans coming to holiday in NZ.

If you want to maximize upgrade chances, lodge EAPD upgrades now.

If you want to maximize the chances that you're sitting up front, book BP and be done with it
Old Nov 1, 16, 5:38 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
If BP is important then consider booking straight, on those dates I doubt a companion fare is available but just call them to find out. APD clearance and getting rid of RUs are becoming difficult now. Consider it a lottery and expect for upgrades to fall through to avoid disappointment

Search this Thread
Search Engine: