Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Interesting. I heard that SQ were planning to have PE from late 2015. I thought that 6th Jan was a bit too ambitious.

It will be interesting to see if SQ 'retire' P class for flights from the 6th... I have a flight booked in Jan AKL-SIN-LHR in P so I won't be too happy if it only earns at full economy levels...
Yes but if they are selling NZ's PE fares before their own these booking classes will be used.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Admittedly I've never been on a NZ plane but have heard good remarks about their economy seating... now SQ on the other hand... my own experience is limited to their 777-200ER and 777-300ER but holy hell those are the tightest and least comfortable economy seats I believe I've experienced... at least within Star Alliance. This alone puts SQ as one of my least favorite *A airlines.
Unless SQ has done something recently to make the seats less comfortable, this doesn't seem correct at all.

I spent a period flying SIN-AKL monthly (in Y), typically on the SQ 77W and while the seat cushioning is hard, it is far from the least comfortable economy seat I've ever sat in. I'd say it is fairly equivalent with the NZ 77E I flew SFO-AKL (in Y) at the beginning of September. Except the 77E had no AC/USB power.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite, Krisflyer Gold, Qantas Gold
I spent 5 Years as an SQ Elite Gold, all earned in Y.
Singapore Y is no less comfortable than anything else out there, and with the 77's they are only 3-3-3, which gives a much better feeling of space.
I was lucky/well organised enough 95% of the time and generally sat in row 31/44 on the 777W, which was probably the best economy flying I have ever done.
Further back was far less appealing, but still much better than a cramped Air NZ 777-300, which in Y often resembles a flying zoo.
Luckily enough I get to fly PE these days!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:24 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Flight Schedule

AKL-SIN NZ282/SQ4824 01:15-06:45
AKL-SIN SQ286/NZ3286 13:30-19:00

SIN-AKL NZ281/SQ4821 08:50-23:45
SIN-AKL SQ285/NZ3285 20:50-11:45+1

CHC-SIN SQ298/NZ3298 12:00-17:40

SIN-CHC SQ297/NZ3297 19:40-10:40+1

NB: Singapore Airlines' A380 will be used on the Singapore-Auckland route from 28 October 2014 - 28 March 2015, reverting to Boeing 777-300ER aircraft 29 March 2015 - 27 October 2015.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ruff00
..As soon as you are off Air NZ, the chance of a terrible seat is highly likely.
... whereas if you stay on NZ, a terrible seat is guaranteed.
.. now SQ on the other hand... my own experience is limited to their 777-200ER and 777-300ER but holy hell those are the tightest and least comfortable economy seats I believe I've experienced... at least within Star Alliance. This alone puts SQ as one of my least favorite *A airlines.
I am fairly certain you remember wrong - the 772 and 77W coach seat are very, very different. The 77W seat is one of best padded seat, wide, and decent legroom and superb IFE. As much as I dislike SQ as a company, I love the 77W and the A380 coach seat.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For SQ it does depend strongly on the aircraft type you are on. The regional 777s are not very attractive in economy class, the upper deck of the A380 is very comfortable. But I thought that.economy class on the upper deck was being phased out...
But even the regional coach seats are actually quite good and heaven compared to anything NZ offers, let alone compared to modern slimline seats as offered by LH regional or UA.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
You guys are kidding right? The economy seats on the SQ A380 upper deck are the most comfortable I have experienced.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For SQ it does depend strongly on the aircraft type you are on. The regional 777s are not very attractive in economy class, the upper deck of the A380 is very comfortable. But I thought that.economy class on the upper deck was being phased out...
I have actually not flown on an A380 (on any airline), so perhaps it is better.

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Nothing wrong with the SQ seats, they are basically spacious and as comfortable as most economy seats put into new aircraft in the last 10 years, for what that comment is worth. They still only use 9 across on a 777, unlike the trend to 10 across in the likes of EK, AA, and the NZ 77W's.
Originally Posted by ajnz
Unless SQ has done something recently to make the seats less comfortable, this doesn't seem correct at all.

I spent a period flying SIN-AKL monthly (in Y), typically on the SQ 77W and while the seat cushioning is hard, it is far from the least comfortable economy seat I've ever sat in. I'd say it is fairly equivalent with the NZ 77E I flew SFO-AKL (in Y) at the beginning of September. Except the 77E had no AC/USB power.
Originally Posted by weero
... whereas if you stay on NZ, a terrible seat is guaranteed.

I am fairly certain you remember wrong - the 772 and 77W coach seat are very, very different. The 77W seat is one of best padded seat, wide, and decent legroom and superb IFE. As much as I dislike SQ as a company, I love the 77W and the A380 coach seat.

But even the regional coach seats are actually quite good and heaven compared to anything NZ offers, let alone compared to modern slimline seats as offered by LH regional or UA.
I don't mind 9 or 10 across on a 777 actually, my concern and primary metric for measuring "comfort" is legroom which is not generous on the SQ planes I've flown. I do see from Seatguru that they have some planes with 34" pitch but most of their planes are 32" and feel even tighter than that, perhaps because of the padding eating into whatever legroom could be there, that "foot rest" they put in economy is also not conducive to decent legroom either, making it harder for folks with longer legs to slide them under the seat in front. I'm no giant by any stretch of the imagination, but even at 182cm, 32" is generally not very comfortable for more than a couple of hours. There are a lot of airlines still offering 33-34" seat pitch and it makes a big difference on a long flight.

I know SQ may have one of the world leading entertainment systems in economy but it doesn't help at all with cramped legs.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..I don't mind 9 or 10 across on a 777 actually, my concern and primary metric for measuring "comfort" is legroom which is not generous on the SQ planes I've flown. I do see from Seatguru that they have some planes with 34" pitch but most of their planes are 32" and feel even tighter than that, perhaps because of the padding eating into whatever legroom could be there..
But 32" is quite good - compared to the US carriers with thicker seats and 31" and LH's delicious 28" in domestic coach.
that "foot rest" they put in economy is also not conducive to decent legroom either
Here I agree wholeheartedly - the legrest sucks.

But compared to IFE boxes in my legroom, it is the lesser of two evils.
I'm no giant by any stretch of the imagination, but even at 182cm, 32" is generally not very comfortable for more than a couple of hours. There are a lot of airlines still offering 33-34" seat pitch and it makes a big difference on a long flight.
I am the same length (183) and I find SQ's 32" easier on the legs than TG's 34" with the IFE box ... but TG's newer 777-300ER seat is very nice, I have to admit.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:13 pm

Just reviving an old thread as I head to Europe Monday night, I get off NZ282 Tuesday morning with an onward to LHR (all SQ ticketed).

From what I read as an elite I will get access to the silverkris lounge as opposed to the crappy gold lounge.

Can anyone confirm they have had access to the silverkris lounge while flying in Y, the dragons there are pretty tough!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Nope never had access to the silverkris lounge, always the *lounge. Last time I tried this was last year before the agreement however.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
In addition, from 6 January 2015, Business Class passengers, Elite members and Elite Partners may also use the SilverKris Business Lounge in Singapore when travelling on, or when connecting to or from, an Air New Zealand or Singapore Airlines flight between New Zealand and Singapore. Please note, no guests allowed.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/star-...apore-airlines
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
That might make the Koru lounge less busy, comparing to two - at least you'll know the staff will be more helpful
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:03 pm

Yep, I know what the text says on the AirNZ website. Have screen snipped it too in case the lounge dragons don't play ball.

Was wondering if anyone has actually got in ok.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
Do keep us updated of your experience. Hopefully the online text isn't a typo and the lounge dragons are aware of the stated agreement

Originally Posted by Nz79
Yep, I know what the text says on the AirNZ website. Have screen snipped it too in case the lounge dragons don't play ball.

Was wondering if anyone has actually got in ok.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Hmmm...I'll be travelling SIN AKL on SQ metal but as an LH codeshare. Wonder if my Elite access will be honoured?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by dadig
That might make the Koru lounge less busy
Eh? KLs are domestic lounges in NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.