Singapore Airlines Alliance

Old Sep 23, 14, 1:43 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold
Singapore Airlines Alliance

Our new alliance with Singapore Airlines gives you access to three non-stop flights a day to Singapore, seven days a week. Flights are from Auckland and Christchurch and are available for sale from 25 September 2014, for travel from 6 January 2015.

More seats, more destinations.

The alliance brings increased capacity between New Zealand and Singapore, with Air New Zealand to operate a newly refitted Boeing 777-200ER aircraft, while Singapore Airlines will operate their largest aircraft, the Airbus A380.
The introduction of Air New Zealand codeshare to the Singapore Airlines and SilkAir networks means access to more than 50 destinations around the world, including South East Asia, the United Kingdom, Europe and South Africa.

Network and connections

Network and connections map (PDF).

Airpoints members

For more information for Airpoints members please see the Singapore Airlines and SilkAir partnership pages.

Singapore Airlines

Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines have formed an alliance that sees the two airlines operating codeshare services on each other’s flights between New Zealand and Singapore.
Code-share services will also be available to more than 75 other destinations throughout New Zealand, Southeast Asia, the United Kingdom, Europe and South Africa.
This comprehensive network delivers greater connectivity and frequency while Air New Zealand’s newly refurbished Boeing 777-200ER and Singapore Airline’s Airbus A380 aircraft operating between New Zealand and Singapore ensure a premium experience in the air.

Airpoints Dollars and Status Points

As Star Alliance partners, Airpoints™ members are able to earn Airpoints Dollars™ and Status Points at partner rates when flying on Singapore Airlines operated flights.
Airpoints Elite and Gold members will receive Star Alliance frequent flyer benefits when travelling on Singapore Airlines operated flights.
Please note that Complimentary Frequent Flyer Seating/Priority Seating is not a Star Alliance Gold benefit and is only available to Airpoints Elite, Elite Partner, Gold and Koru members when travelling on Air New Zealand operated flights.

Elite Partner and Koru member benefits are available on Air New Zealand operated services only.

Lounge Access

Airpoints Gold and Elite members receive access to Star Gold lounges when travelling on Star Alliance airlines, this means that in Singapore the KrisFlyer Gold lounge can be used when travelling on Air New Zealand or Singapore Airlines. As a Gold or Elite member you can take one guest into this lounge, as long as they have a boarding pass for a flight departing on the same day.

In addition, from 6 January 2015, Business Class passengers, Elite members and Elite Partners, when connecting to or from an Air New Zealand or Singapore Airlines flight between New Zealand and Singapore, can access the Singapore Airlines SilverKris Business Class lounge in Singapore. Please note, no guests allowed.

Alternatively, Airpoints Elite, Elite Partner, Gold and Koru members will also have the option to access the SATS lounge in Terminal 3 at Changi Airport when travelling on an Air New Zealand operated flight.
No lounge access is available when travelling on SilkAir operated flights.

Elite Partners and Koru members will be able to access the Air New Zealand International Lounges in Auckland and Christchurch when travelling on Singapore Airlines operate flights with Air New Zealand flight number.
Old Sep 23, 14, 2:49 am

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
One downside is that First Class 'P' only earns at Premium Economy rates - not even Business Class.

At least Y B and S have decent earn levels now.
Old Sep 23, 14, 4:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite, Krisflyer Gold, Qantas Gold
Silverkris lounge access for Elites on flights to NZ is an unexpected bonus.

As an SQ Elite Gold I have spent many hours in the underwhelming KrisFlyer Gold lounge in T3, no toilets or showers, uncomfortable seats and slim food pickings make it margininally better than no lounge at all.
The silverkris lounge in T3 is palatial by comparison.

No NZ codeshares to India is also a bummer, as normal *A earn rates on SQ are lame.
Old Sep 23, 14, 3:12 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Nz79 View Post
..As an SQ Elite Gold I have spent many hours in the underwhelming KrisFlyer Gold lounge in T3, no toilets or showers, uncomfortable seats and slim food picking...
Slim? None!

I am just sitting in that turd of a lounge and there is NOTHING to eat .

SQ could install the same crap coach seats NZ uses in order to match the 'alliance' ....
Old Sep 23, 14, 3:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Please note that Complimentary Frequent Flyer Seating/Priority Seating is not a Star Alliance Gold benefit and is only available to Airpoints Elite, Elite Partner, Gold and Koru members when travelling on Air New Zealand operated flights.

This is the worst thing with all of the Star Alliance Network. As soon as you are off Air NZ, the chance of a terrible seat is highly likely.
Old Sep 23, 14, 7:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
One downside is that First Class 'P' only earns at Premium Economy rates - not even Business Class.

At least Y B and S have decent earn levels now.
I understand P will no longer be assigned to First Class when SQ launch Premium Economy cabin. And there is no Premium Economy earn level. There are only 4 earn levels with Star partners. Premium Economy flights earn at Full Economy level.
Old Sep 23, 14, 7:12 pm

It's hard not to compare this partnership with VA/SQ alliance.

1. Lower economy fares on both SQ and MI
Velocity: N, Q: 50% miles & Status Credits, V, K: 10% miles & Status Credits
Airpoints: N, Q, V, K: ineligible, no Status Points

2. Premium Silkair benefits
Velocity: Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding, Additional 15kg check in baggage, Priority Baggage, Lounge Access, Status Credits
Airpoints: None

3. Redemptions on SQ/MI
Velocity: no booking fee, free connection, available online soon,
Airpoints: per sector based, offline booking only, $100 booking fee

4. Bookings on SQ with VA flight number vs with NZ flight number
Velocity: earning based on VA including elite bonus
Airpoints: earning still based on the pathetic partner rates, unlike the VA and CX arrangement

It is now clear Airpoints earning on SQ codeshare with NZ flight numbers will still be based on partner rates. No incentive to book with NZ rather than SQ. Perhaps if they are coordinating sales its even better off with a SQ booking as SQ doesn't have a credit card surcharge.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Sep 24, 14 at 7:23 am
Old Sep 23, 14, 11:52 pm

Slightly OT, VA and SQ today also announced, a world first, the ability to convert between VA and SQ miles. That effectively opens up Star inventory to Velocity members. SQ reward booking will also be available online. This makes the NZ arrangement so lame.

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...TY-CONVERSION/
Old Sep 24, 14, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by weero View Post
Slim? None!

I am just sitting in that turd of a lounge and there is NOTHING to eat .

SQ could install the same crap coach seats NZ uses in order to match the 'alliance' ....
Admittedly I've never been on a NZ plane but have heard good remarks about their economy seating... now SQ on the other hand... my own experience is limited to their 777-200ER and 777-300ER but holy hell those are the tightest and least comfortable economy seats I believe I've experienced... at least within Star Alliance. This alone puts SQ as one of my least favorite *A airlines.
Old Sep 24, 14, 1:08 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Admittedly I've never been on a NZ plane but have heard good remarks about their economy seating... now SQ on the other hand... my own experience is limited to their 777-200ER and 777-300ER but holy hell those are the tightest and least comfortable economy seats I believe I've experienced... at least within Star Alliance. This alone puts SQ as one of my least favorite *A airlines.
I haven't flown Economy on SQ for a few years now, but knowing what Air NZ Economy is like on a 77W it sounds like an alliance made in heaven where Economy on both airlines should be avoided at all costs.
Old Sep 24, 14, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I haven't flown Economy on SQ for a few years now, but knowing what Air NZ Economy is like on a 77W it sounds like an alliance made in heaven where Economy on both airlines should be avoided at all costs.
You guys are kidding right? The economy seats on the SQ A380 upper deck are the most comfortable I have experienced.
Old Sep 24, 14, 2:10 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
You guys are kidding right? The economy seats on the SQ A380 upper deck are the most comfortable I have experienced.
For SQ it does depend strongly on the aircraft type you are on. The regional 777s are not very attractive in economy class, the upper deck of the A380 is very comfortable. But I thought that.economy class on the upper deck was being phased out...
Old Sep 24, 14, 3:11 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Nothing wrong with the SQ seats, they are basically spacious and as comfortable as most economy seats put into new aircraft in the last 10 years, for what that comment is worth. They still only use 9 across on a 777, unlike the trend to 10 across in the likes of EK, AA, and the NZ 77W's.
Old Sep 24, 14, 3:32 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Nothing wrong with the SQ seats, they are basically spacious and as comfortable as most economy seats put into new aircraft in the last 10 years, for what that comment is worth. They still only use 9 across on a 777, unlike the trend to 10 across in the likes of EK, AA, and the NZ 77W's.
Totally agree. SG economy would have to be one of the best out there. Some variation in their fleet, but in general more space than Air NZ.
Old Sep 24, 14, 3:47 am

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
I understand P will no longer be assigned to First Class when SQ launch Premium Economy cabin. And there is no Premium Economy earn level. There are only 4 earn levels with Star partners. Premium Economy flights earn at Full Economy level.
Interesting. I heard that SQ were planning to have PE from late 2015. I thought that 6th Jan was a bit too ambitious.

It will be interesting to see if SQ 'retire' P class for flights from the 6th... I have a flight booked in Jan AKL-SIN-LHR in P so I won't be too happy if it only earns at full economy levels...

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: