Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Inbound Misconnect...Outbound Protection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador

Had a delay PVG-AKL which caused a misconnect onto my ZQN flight. Landed 3 hours later so need an extra day. Will NZ rebook me? It's a UA award ticket and award space isn't open. How much cooperation should I expect?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:01 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Whether it's an award ticket or not should not be an issue. But were the flights on the same ticket, or separate bookings? If on the same ticket, NZ should automatically rebook you. If separate bookings, then they're unlikely to help.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Same PNR. They rebooked the inbound at AKL during the misconnect. Person in Koru told me to call 0800 number for the return.

Booked zqn-akl-nrt(nz) nrt-Hnl (UA). Was going to suggest zqn-akl-lax (nz) lax-Hnl(UA). Does that seem reasonable?

Also, am I better off going to airport counter or calling 0800 number?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Going from NZ to HNL via LAX rather than NRT seems extreme as it involves another continent/region. Is there a published fare that allows this? Or is it forced because flights don't operate every day?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Same PNR. They rebooked the inbound at AKL during the misconnect. Person in Koru told me to call 0800 number for the return.

Booked zqn-akl-nrt(nz) nrt-Hnl (UA). Was going to suggest zqn-akl-lax (nz) lax-Hnl(UA). Does that seem reasonable?

Also, am I better off going to airport counter or calling 0800 number?
I'm confused. In your first post you mentioned that you were booked PVG-AKL-ZQN with PVG-AKL delayed causing a misconnect with AKL-ZQN. How does NRT/HNL fit into the equation?

If they are your return flights, then NZ will not touch them and only rebook the affected flight which is AKL-ZQN.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
I'm confused. In your first post you mentioned that you were booked PVG-AKL-ZQN with PVG-AKL delayed causing a misconnect with AKL-ZQN. How does NRT/HNL fit into the equation?

If they are your return flights, then NZ will not touch them and only rebook the affected flight which is AKL-ZQN.
That's exactly it. Only had 3 days here, now down to 2 with misconnect.

@mspeconomist nrt flight leaves at 815a. Lax leaves at 930p. Allows me to leave same day while making up missed time.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Don't hold your breath

NZ is obliged to get you to your destination, but they're not obliged to ensure that you still have the same amount of time there. I would be truly astounded if NZ - or any other airline - would willingly start amending the next leg of a complex itinerary, purely so you can still have 3 nights at the intermediate destination rather than 2.

If you can achieve it, good for you. But I think you should expect that you're just going to have to live with less time in Queenstown.

Glad to hear NZ proactively rebooked your connection to ZQN. ^
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
NZ is obliged to get you to your destination, but they're not obliged to ensure that you still have the same amount of time there. I would be truly astounded if NZ - or any other airline - would willingly start amending the next leg of a complex itinerary, purely so you can still have 3 nights at the intermediate destination rather than 2.

If you can achieve it, good for you. But I think you should expect that you're just going to have to live with less time in Queenstown.

Glad to hear NZ proactively rebooked your connection to ZQN. ^
Appreciate the insight. Zqn was the final. Hnl is the return but get where you're coming from. Should be interesting but won't keep my hopes up.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: nada
So my assumption is that OP is skiing or had an activity because all I can put together is had an AM arrival to AKL, and got into ZQN at noon instead of 9am. Otherwise, I'd hardly call 3 hours late the loss of a day. Note that this does not cause the loss of a night as some have misread. I don't think OP will get much traction, and apparently came over to UA forum to seek further/repeated advice because of failure in dealing with NZ. Trying to equate 3 hours with loss of or needing an extra day isn't helping either, even if it may be true in OP's eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.