Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cellphone use on A320 - etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Cellphone use on A320 - etiquette

So, having rules means passengers will push the boundaries.

Previously, the requirement was to "power off" your cell phone - which of course many people never did. Whereas the current regime allows you to use cell phone at all stages of flight as long as it is in flight mode/Bluetooth deactivated.

So the other night the guy sitting next me was sending/receiving texts as we were speeding down the runway and in the early stages of flight.

Should I take any action?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy

Previously, the requirement was to "power off" your cell phone - which of course many people never did. Whereas the current regime allows you to use cell phone at all stages of flight as long as it is in flight mode/Bluetooth deactivated.

So the other night the guy sitting next me was sending/receiving texts as we were speeding down the runway and in the early stages of flight.

Strangulation comes to mind. Do you have good grip strength?

These DYKWIA jerks need to get tossed off a flight sometime. I bet they'd never pull the stunt again. Realistically, there is probably nothing you can do, other than discreetly inform the crew if the jerk persists. I've said something to people a few times, and they ignore or give nasty looks.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold

Err, what action do you suggest?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze

Assume the brace position!

I did always fully power off my phone, even though I did consider it farcical.

If it really were a risk, they would have collected everyone's phones before takeoff, made sure they were fully powered off and return them at the end of the flight.

They must have known that most people switched to flight mode and turned their screens off, rather than fully powering-down.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Once upon a time (about 2 years ago), I remembered this on a domestic flight:

Those quietly went away didn't they... I can't even recall any announcement made for their discontinuation.

Not that anyone really used them, one would have to mortgage their house to afford a phone-call or get online!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
thanks for your comments.

Yes, I agree using a phone is probably not a risk. This guys actions just irked me - give some (not all) people a gold card to hang on your bag and they think rules/requirements do not apply to them.

BTW I reminded him we were supposed to be in flight mode - he got all defensive and says he was. Yeah right! what ever you reckon.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: VAG
thanks for your comments.

Yes, I agree using a phone is probably not a risk. This guys actions just irked me - give some (not all) people a gold card to hang on your bag and they think rules/requirements do not apply to them.

BTW I reminded him we were supposed to be in flight mode - he got all defensive and says he was. Yeah right! what ever you reckon.
Hey, that gives me a good idea for an app; it could be a fake text-messaging service which runs locally on your phone and makes you look more popular or important.

Perfect for teenagers and/or DKYWIA jerks on aircraft.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Hey, that gives me a good idea for an app; it could be a fake text-messaging service which runs locally on your phone and makes you look more popular or important.

Perfect for teenagers and/or DKYWIA jerks on aircraft.
At the risk of taking this thread even further off topic - you do realise that some people do get a large volume of messages without the need to inflate the quantity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.