Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difficult to utilise upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Can anyone comment on why NZ no longer lets us see R class availability?
What's the big deal - it used to make things so much easier when using tools like Expert Flyer and wanting to plan in advance
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by flykiwifly
Can anyone comment on why NZ no longer lets us see R class availability?
What's the big deal - it used to make things so much easier when using tools like Expert Flyer and wanting to plan in advance
The mushroom principle?

TBH, I consider they believed having R class available through the GDS's was costing them revenue ...
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I was speaking to a GE friend the other day who said extracting R class availability from CSRs is now increasingly difficult. One can presume they're trying to make it difficult for people to simply buy PE and get GE standby upgrades guaranteed.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: NZ Silver; BA blue; Velocity red; Qantas Silver
I just arrived in LA from Auckland in BP by putting 2 RUs together.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
My daughter (no AirNZ status) made it from Akl->NRT in BP when I gifted my 2 long haul RU's to her. It was confirmed 3 or 4 days before she flew.

But I'm guessing that route isn't as heavy used as AKL->LAX.

Last edited by methom90wh; Jun 30, 2014 at 8:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by brucelee
Welcome to the useless world of Airpoints. Usually the only way to use these RU is on trans tasman or up to Asia. Usually near to impossible to use up to LAX and LHR unless your are an Elite.
I have had success during the NZ school holidays (Packed Flight) only throguh the help of the Lounge team it was from Econ to PE but it worked and was worth it from LAX to AKL
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ G.E, Le Accor Platinum
Hi there, Flew Nadi - Auckland NZ57 on Wednesday 16 th applied in January for my Gold RU before going to GE was told I would not find out if RU was successful until the day and that I had Highest priority. found out on the day RU wasn't as BC was full that's ok school holidays and all. Found out later that my niece flew the earlier Nadi Wellington flight and they were told that Air NZ were looking for 2 people to bump that they were offered BC seats on NZ57 plus $200 FJ each incentive. Is that fairly normal practice at that busy time school holidays an all? The Koru Lounge assistant said there were 7 people that had applied for an upgrade. Just felt a little pipped that Air NZ failed to looked after there loyal customers once again. I assume I just lose that RU a win win for Air NZ is that correct?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Hypothetically, any posts discussing "black market" disposition, buying, selling or bartering upgrade or other instruments against airline policy would be in violation of the genuine FlyerTalk Rules, so of course they would be deleted.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Have my Silver RU gone through at the gate tonight on NZ2, on the first leg (AKL-LAX) of flight to LHR.

Flight is quite full, >95% in fact from nose to tail, 2 weeks ago called up and ask how best to try for an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy. Advised to apply the RU on the first leg, and a OneUp bid on the 2nd.

LAX-LHR OneUp rejected 2 days out, and not a single bookable PE seat at that point.

The premium check-in lady was really nice tonight, originally the boarding pass came out with an aisle of the window side pair (J), so I asked if it's possible to move to the centre block for direct aisle access. She first commented that the only ones available were in the "preferred seating" block and non-assignable given my status (apparently only Gold and above can pick those, not lowly Silver or Koru), but was surprised when she could, so now seated in E.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.