Search

ZQN-AKL-HNL Same-day connection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
ZQN-AKL-HNL Same-day connection

Hi all,

I'll be visiting Queenstown in January and also have an AKL-HNL flight departing @ 23:30. Would a same-day morning flight from ZQN-AKL be a safe option that time of year to catch the flight @ 23:30?

The flights are on separate itineraries and given the late departure from AKL I think this would be fine but would like to hear any opinions you may have.

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I wouldn't risk it on an separate ticket, even in Summer ZQN can be closed due to bad weather. Also with the fact that AKL-HNL is only 2-3x weekly, your risking being stuck in AKL for a couple of days and will need to purchase an new AKL-HNL.

NZ wont cover you for anything on separate tickets, they wont even give you boarding passes in ZQN.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm presuming the OP would be flying Hawaiian, not Air NZ, since NZ10 is a mid morning departure.

Your only risk is ZQN being closed, but that's something that can happen on any day of the year.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
The long connect the OP has suggested should be fine.
Worst case is travel insurance will cover a missed connection.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
With the new systems in place a jet service being cancelled is very rare in comparison to what it was. Based in zqn I now have little disruption to akl whereas chc can still be an issue as most flights are on the atr's. Go for for. But make sure your travel insurance covers disruptions.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Thanks all, I will be connecting on HA for the AKL-HNL flight. I will certainly purchase travel insurance to cover the worst case scenario of ZQN being closed that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.