Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who do I believe re LAX Transit times?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ZK-BEU
I have rung ANZ again and was given the same answer as last night. 75 Mins was OK. However when I pressed them further to have a look at the LAX website for connection times they admitted that MCT was in fact 120 mins and I would need to have my tickets altered. Mrs ZK however says she asked the TA about the short connection time when paying for the tickets. The TA rang ANZ while she was there and was told 75 mins was OK (on the speakerphone for all to hear)
Long story short I will change the booking to the later flight, pay the change fees and suggest to the TA she refers to FT if she wants the right info first time
Again thanks for the responses

ZK-BEU
DO NOT PAY ANYTHING EXTRA for your incompetent travel agent and NZ to fix their mistake and insist that they do so by rebooking you onto flights that are convenient for you (even if they cost more now) and correctly reissuing the ticket so that it matches the new reservation. (Check the details carefully.) Going forward, you probably should work with a different travel agent.

FWIW, the last time I entered the USA at LAX before getting Global Entry it took well over an hour at TBIT from the time I received my checked bag (after immigration/passport control) until I was able to exit the customs area and recheck my bag. On that day, every passenger on my flight was being sent to secondary agricultural inspection and there were some big aircraft that landed shortly before we did. A two hour connection would have been very tight for me that day.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pbl22
I think Westjet use T2 at LAX, so you won't even need to change terminals.
Yes at the moment, but not when NZ moves to TBIT.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes at the moment, but not when NZ moves to TBIT.
You're right, of course, but OccasionallyAirborne's flight was in Sept, and I hadn't heard that NZ was changing to TBIT next month (although could be wrong).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: NZ/QF
I understand NZ don't move to TBIT until October sometime but I will have been and gone by then.

Thanks very much for the helpful info this site provides.

OA
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FWIW, the last time I entered the USA at LAX before getting Global Entry it took well over an hour at TBIT from the time I received my checked bag (after immigration/passport control) until I was able to exit the customs area and recheck my bag.
What is this "checked bag" thing of which you speak?

I've found that I've become amazingly daring since I got Global Entry: instead of allowing 3-4 hours for connections on arriving into LAX, I now have sometimes gone down to 2 hours for connections! Amazing, I know!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: NZ*G
Any update or certainty on dates for the shift to TBIT?

I'm on NZ6 late October, connecting to Air Canada - currently both T2 and straightforward enough with transit time available, but TBIT-to-T2 transit may affect my comfort level...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
What is this "checked bag" thing of which you speak?

I've found that I've become amazingly daring since I got Global Entry: instead of allowing 3-4 hours for connections on arriving into LAX, I now have sometimes gone down to 2 hours for connections! Amazing, I know!
I just did 1h55m LHR-LAX-SJC connecting from NZ onto AA, on separate tickets. I'm a filthy foreigner and don't have Global Entry, and I wouldn't have described it as even vaguely tight. Even if I had checked a bag, I don't think it would have been a problem - NZ1 bags were definitely on the carousel when I walked past.

But then again, I've transited LAX a number of times and don't find it a particularly stressful airport - which is apparently unusual.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
After reading all the discussion about LAX, I'm wondering why the OP needs to go through LAX at all.

Air NZ does a direct flight AKL-YVR. Transfer WLG-AKL-YVR would be much simpler.

I avoid LAX whenever I can.

Last edited by celle; Aug 22, 2014 at 3:07 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by ajnz
I just did 1h55m LHR-LAX-SJC connecting from NZ onto AA, on separate tickets. I'm a filthy foreigner and don't have Global Entry, and I wouldn't have described it as even vaguely tight. Even if I had checked a bag, I don't think it would have been a problem - NZ1 bags were definitely on the carousel when I walked past.

But then again, I've transited LAX a number of times and don't find it a particularly stressful airport - which is apparently unusual.

My experiences are very inconsistent. In May I went through from plane to curbside in roughly 15 minutes (carry-on only, sitting in Business, AKL-LAX). Earlier this month it took 2+ hours to do the same (carry-on only, sitting in Premium Economy, LHR-LAX).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: NZ/QF
Originally Posted by celle
After reading all the discussion about LAX, I'm wondering why the OP needs to go through LAX at all.

Air NZ does a direct flight AKL-YVR. Transfer WLG-AKL-YVR would be much simpler.

I avoid LAX whenever I can.
essentaillyto try the spaceseat in PE as I won't pay PE prices for seating on the 777-200

OA
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ajnz

I've found LAX transit times to vary a lot. Arrival time makes a big difference (flight from LHR arrives at a quieter time for T2 arrivals), and some of it is just luck. Arrive just before 2 or 3 other widebodies and immigration & customs may be fairly quick. Arrive just after 2 or 3 other widebodies and immigration & customs takes a looong time (for non-US).

Be interesting to see how it changes at TBIT. Flying other airlines through TBIT I haven't had as long to get through immigration & customs, based on a smaller sample at various times of day and night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.