Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Think twice before flying Air New Zealand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Angry Think twice before flying Air New Zealand

I purchased premium economy tickets and fully expected to get frequent flyer point. My ticket clearly said eligible for Airpoints. The AEROPLAN FREQUENT FLYER PROGRAM said Air New Zealand denied the points. Air New Zealand stated Aeroplan's website denied the A class of service. I would never fly on Air New Zealand again and am thinking of changing my loyalty program as well. From now on would suggest you check if points are earned with Star Allliance partners as you may end up with a very nasty surprise.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Sorry whats your problem here? sounds like your at fault more that Air New Zealand.

As you where using a third-party program (AC) your respsobablie to have check this detail your self, directly with AC before purchasing your fare.

Airpoints is NZ's own program, hence the website is correct. As on the fare class your book, you would get 'Airpoints' with NZ.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Open an ANZ account and retrospectively claim the points.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
But Aeroplan website clearly lists A class as an eligible class earning 100% miles so not sure what your problem was.

http://www3.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...=AirNewZealand
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
First of all, how did you get an A ticket? This isn't a normal PE booking class and from memory is the class normally the class used for a Economy -> PE upgrade Oneup upgrade.

Secondly if the Aeroplan site says A class availability is eligible but Air NZ aren't giving Aeroplan the credit I'm not sure why you're blaming Air NZ. They're incompetent at lots of things, but in this case the issue seems to be very much be a Aeroplan one for offering miles on a class of ticket that doesn't earn then on Air NZ.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I just checked and A is a normal PE booking class. I'd only seen U,E and O before.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

upsettraveler Welcome to the forum.
Do stay around. You will learn a lot. But I do suggest you ask to change your FT screen name/handle.

Was this an Air NZ flight number on an Air NZ aircraft?
What was the route ?

Is well known that many tickets on AirNZ are non earning with Air NZ and partners.
But I would expect PE to earn miles
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
upsettraveler, this warrants further investigation. Fares booked into A class on AirNZ are indeed valid for mileage accrual on all *A frequent flyer programmes (albeit only at the regular economy class rate, unfortunately). This situation should be able to be resolved.

What was the process you went through to claim the miles? And was your Aeroplan FF number in the booking at the time of travel? Also, was the ticket upgraded in any way? Sometimes that can play havoc with automatic crediting, but should be able to be fixed manually.

Can you tell us a bit more?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I just checked and A is a normal PE booking class. I'd only seen U,E and O before.
A is the class used for deeply discounted PE fares. I have flown on many of them

Is it also used for upgrades to PE? Is it possible the OP purchased a non-mileage-accruing economy class ticket then upgraded to A class via OneUp? That could well result in this situation since mileage accrual is based on the original fare class...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold

Unless the OP traveled on CX under NZ code in A class, it is well known that star alliance credit points according to carrier rather than code share... In that case, a NZ ticketed A class fare won't get u anything...

Anyway, I don't see air nz at fault here
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Each Airline sets their point/miles credit schedule. These terms are under each airline.
I fly Air NZ quite a bit and do not get any credit to my United MP.

Your frustration is mis-guided. It is the passengers responsibility to know (or look) as to the partner credit. This has nothing to do with the quality of the carrier.

If the AC web site shows no credit with a partner airline under a category, then it is your fault. If the web site shows credit should be issued (whether full or discounted) and you are being denied, your issue is with AC.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 123dd
Unless the OP traveled on CX under NZ code in A class, it is well known that star alliance credit points according to carrier rather than code share... In that case, a NZ ticketed A class fare won't get u anything...
I read the OP as flying a NZ flight number on a NZ aircraft with an AC freq flyer number in the reservation. Not a codeshare. Miles earning would be based on AC's program rules.

But we will probably never know unless upsettraveler returns to FT
Last Activity: Jan 25, 14 10:59am is the same as the post
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: United
I have to agree with upsettraveler - been a member of various mileage programs for over 20 years and Air NZ is the first time I've encountered a denied mileage requests on a paid airfare with a partner airline (I'm with United). Twice in 6 months.

My wife flew on via a fare on Travelocity which was a United ticket and of 6 segments, only 1 Air NZ (SYD-AKL) segment didn't qualify for some reason (the AKL-SYD segment on the same ticket did). How are you supposed to figure that out in advance, it wasn't even clear after we returned and complained to United - after 2 emails and an irate phone call, something about United's "H" fare (which does qualify on United and Air NZ) being converted to Air NZ's "V" fare which conveniently doesn't.

In my case, an LAX-AKL fare didn't make it. It was a category "L" fare which doesn't quality, but I still don't see how you can find this out in advance using only the website. I went back and looked at the rules and finally found this weasel clause under Economy Global Saver Fare conditions: "May not be eligible for accrual of frequent flyer miles/points with airline partners' programmes" - but it still lets you enter your flyer number and even prints it right there on your boarding pass. I don't mind if they don't offer mileage, but it should be made very clear when booking (like when you enter your FF-number) and not buried in some fine print. 3rd party sites should warn of likely denial of mileage of Air NZ segments since it's virtually impossible to book a specific category fare anyway. Oh well - just want to warn others.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by mszil
In my case, an LAX-AKL fare didn't make it. It was a category "L" fare which doesn't quality, but I still don't see how you can find this out in advance using only the website.
Since you were using your UA FF#, UA's rules apply.
You knew that you were booked in NZ L class, right?
No problem figuring out if it earns miles: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=379

3rd party sites should warn of likely denial of mileage of Air NZ segments since it's virtually impossible to book a specific category fare anyway. Oh well - just want to warn others.
1. Check which booking class you're booking.
2. Check your frequent flyer program web page to check if you'll earn miles.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: United
Like I said - this is just to warn others to be more vigilant if they want to fly AirNZ and receive credit. It's never happened to me before, I usually expected that if I paid for a fare in an alliance airline and had a place to enter my FF# and it shows on my ticket, that I would receive credit.

>Since you were using your UA FF#, UA's rules apply.
>You knew that you were booked in NZ L class, right?

I'm not even sure I knew that, although before now I wouldn't have thought to even check. After the fact I went back to the AirNZ site and just started a booking - I couldn't find the class anywhere before the screen where I was already entering payment details and I stopped there. I clicked on the fare details as I mentioned and only found that generic statement that Air NZ "may not" issue partner credit. I wonder if they buried something like "AirNZ may not fly you to your destination on this ticket" in some fine print that only appears if you click on a link, I wonder if that would also be acceptable way to manage a contract.

I guess in the future I'll do my initial search online to get pricing, then call the airlines and get a name and contract detail and maybe a supervisor to vouch for mileage, then go back online and book the fare to avoid the extra phone fees. Time well spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.