Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Think twice before flying Air New Zealand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Think twice before flying Air New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by mszil
I usually expected that if I paid for a fare in an alliance airline and had a place to enter my FF# and it shows on my ticket, that I would receive credit.
There are countless instances that this doesn't occur.

As for your point about why they'd have you enter your FF# if it wasn't to credit points, the answer is pretty simple: status (for lounges etc).
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
Like I said - this is just to warn others to be more vigilant if they want to fly AirNZ and receive credit. It's never happened to me before, I usually expected that if I paid for a fare in an alliance airline and had a place to enter my FF# and it shows on my ticket, that I would receive credit.

>Since you were using your UA FF#, UA's rules apply.
>You knew that you were booked in NZ L class, right?

I'm not even sure I knew that, although before now I wouldn't have thought to even check. After the fact I went back to the AirNZ site and just started a booking - I couldn't find the class anywhere before the screen where I was already entering payment details and I stopped there.
It's harder to find than it used to be, but you can still see the exact fare class before purchasing a ticket. Make a new booking, and on the screen where you enter traveler details, on the right is a panel that says "Itinerary." Click where it says "1 flight" (or "2 flights", etc.) and the details of the journey will appear, including fare class.

Next cross reference the fare code with the web page for your particular FF program, and you will know with a high degree of certainty what sort of mileage you'll be earning.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BbTrumpet
It's harder to find than it used to be, but you can still see the exact fare class before purchasing a ticket. Make a new booking, and on the screen where you enter traveler details, on the right is a panel that says "Itinerary." Click where it says "1 flight" (or "2 flights", etc.) and the details of the journey will appear, including fare class.

Next cross reference the fare code with the web page for your particular FF program, and you will know with a high degree of certainty what sort of mileage you'll be earning.
That's true - though why they have to make it so difficult to find it really irritates me.

On many third party sites it is genuinely impossible to know before you purchase. Drives me crazy!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:03 pm

I guess in the future I'll do my initial search online to get pricing, then call the airlines and get a name and contract detail and maybe a supervisor to vouch for mileage, then go back online and book the fare to avoid the extra phone fees. Time well spent.
No, all you have to do is check the booking class when you make the reservation online. No need to call anyone. @:-)

If you can't spend 5 seconds doing that, you're obviously VERY busy.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:48 am

I am with upsettraveller.Not once, not twice but three times Air New Zealand has found a way to deny transferring miles to my UA account. On one RTW journey, they nominated the first carrier as VS between LHR and PUD, then three NZ flights to follow, all in Premium Economy. Reason for denial - VS is not a partner airline. Last time, VS again involved. For reasons unknown VS and NZ were linked on a ticket LHR/Auckland and return. The VS miles were posted to my DL account, but NZ denied miles because they were not in a designated class of service - not revealed on the invoice, itinerary or boarding passes. Finding the rules for the 11 kinds of economy fares is impossible - at least I couldn't do it - in the NZ website. As an expat Kiwi I am sorry to conclude that my national carrier is engaging in deliberate obfuscation and questionable business practices. I travel widely and frequently and I have not encountered this problem with any other carrier. I have written to NZ executive office expressing these views. Their response will determine if I ever use NZ again or not.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tonyjewiss
I am with upsettraveller.Not once, not twice but three times Air New Zealand has found a way to deny transferring miles to my UA account. On one RTW journey, they nominated the first carrier as VS between LHR and PUD, then three NZ flights to follow, all in Premium Economy. Reason for denial - VS is not a partner airline. Last time, VS again involved. For reasons unknown VS and NZ were linked on a ticket LHR/Auckland and return. The VS miles were posted to my DL account, but NZ denied miles because they were not in a designated class of service - not revealed on the invoice, itinerary or boarding passes. Finding the rules for the 11 kinds of economy fares is impossible - at least I couldn't do it - in the NZ website. As an expat Kiwi I am sorry to conclude that my national carrier is engaging in deliberate obfuscation and questionable business practices. I travel widely and frequently and I have not encountered this problem with any other carrier. I have written to NZ executive office expressing these views. Their response will determine if I ever use NZ again or not.
For your RTW journey, it sounds like that you were booked on a Tiki RTW fare (which is an NZ/VS fare). Often fares on the NZ website ex-UK will be a Tiki fare. As VS is not a UA partner, it is only natural that they will not post to your account. On your ticket, it should show the booking class (also on the NZ website when you go through making a booking).

If you were booked in Premium Economy on NZ, I see no reason why you shouldn't have earned with UA. All Premium fares are accruable as you can see here: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=379

Surely your issue would be with UA for not crediting the UA miles to your account. Also, many Economy fares purchased as a Tiki fare also fall below the accruable booking class with UA. Therefore, if you were booked into an L3TIKI fare, you naturally wouldn't earn any miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.