Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

NZ pulled I (*A Business award) inventory from all AKL-SYD flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador

I booked a *A award ticket which includes an NZ flight from AKL-SYD. There was no *I* availability on my date, so I booked into *X* (*A Economy Class award) for now.

I have been checking the for the *I* availability every now and again and I noticed that there seems to be none for the entire year. There were plenty of dates before, but a couple of days ago it was all pulled. Does anyone know why this is? Will it come back?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Bear in mind that not all AKL-SYD flights have business class. Around half tend to be operated by Airbus A320s which are single class aircraft, the others are mostly operated with 767s or 777s which do have a business product.

Having said that, the A320 economy class is sold with four different products, the top one involves the middle seat being left vacant, front few rows of the aircraft (which include seats in the Space + extra legroom section), lounge access, greater luggage allowance and includes food and drinks (the two bottom products have "buy on board").

Odds are that your X class award (on any aircraft) will be the "standard" "Works" product which is standard economy with food/beverage service included.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Bear in mind that not all AKL-SYD flights have business class. Around half tend to be operated by Airbus A320s which are single class aircraft, the others are mostly operated with 767s or 777s which do have a business product.

Having said that, the A320 economy class is sold with four different products, the top one involves the middle seat being left vacant, front few rows of the aircraft (which include seats in the Space + extra legroom section), lounge access, greater luggage allowance and includes food and drinks (the two bottom products have "buy on board").

Odds are that your X class award (on any aircraft) will be the "standard" "Works" product which is standard economy with food/beverage service included.
Yup - I know that only the 777s and 767s have J. However, there was plenty of I class availability a couple of days ago between AKL and SYD. Now, all that is available is X on all dates. I am currently booked in X on a 777 (NZ101), so I was hoping that I class would become available at a later date.

At this rate though, it appears all I class awards on this route are currently gone.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
At this rate though, it appears all I class awards on this route are currently gone.
Business awards have also completely disappeared from AKL-MEL and AKL-PER... previously there was lots of availability on the 777-operated flights.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stewardo
Business awards have also completely disappeared from AKL-MEL and AKL-PER... previously there was lots of availability on the 777-operated flights.
Yeah - it was the same for AKL-SYD. I wonder if someone knows why this has happened?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Yeah - it was the same for AKL-SYD. I wonder if someone knows why this has happened?
New CEO maybe? might of started to pull his weight
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:55 am

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Lots of dates in March I found AKL_SYD in Business (with 2-4 seats available, according to ExpertFlyer). A few days later, and there is nothing for the entire year.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:26 pm
bsd

Programs: UA 1MM, NZ Gold Elite
Thumbs down

Yes, looks like all Business rewards trans-Tasman are impacted - Brisbane used to be wide-open for rewards up the front of the plane and they have all gone too.

Interestingly, business class inventory on NZ for non-stop flights to Honolulu and Japan is still available. Nothing of course for AKL-US mainland flights..

My comments based on looking for award flights at united.com
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsd
Yes, looks like all Business rewards trans-Tasman are impacted - Brisbane used to be wide-open for rewards up the front of the plane and they have all gone too.

Interestingly, business class inventory on NZ for non-stop flights to Honolulu and Japan is still available. Nothing of course for AKL-US mainland flights..

My comments based on looking for award flights at united.com
I have seen exactly the same on Expertflyer - there is no *I* class inventory on trans-Tasman flights at all. United.com is correct in this case.

I wonder if this is being done on purpose or by accident. Does anybody have any insight into this? Maybe I will give Air NZ a call tomorrow morning.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Sounds like a big joke to me. What's there to protect for NZ's sake across the Tasman? Or is it some big plan to make everyone bid for using the oneup system somehow? Not cool.. And another reason why I'm not that keen on becoming an elite with NZ.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:32 pm
bsd

Originally Posted by ANZ787900
Sounds like a big joke to me. What's there to protect for NZ's sake across the Tasman? Or is it some big plan to make everyone bid for using the oneup system somehow? Not cool.. And another reason why I'm not that keen on becoming an elite with NZ.
From my perspective it also devalues my membership of UA's Mileage Plus - this has taken away the easiest opportunity to burn United miles out of New Zealand. Inventory in business T-T has been easier, until now, to access than in economy.

At least with NZ Airpoints, if you have enough Airpoint dollars, you can always use them. Admittedly, the earn rate is pathetic.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsd
From my perspective it also devalues my membership of UA's Mileage Plus - this has taken away the easiest opportunity to burn United miles out of New Zealand. Inventory in business T-T has been easier, until now, to access than in economy.
Surely this is not a permanent change. Restricting/reducing Business inventory is one thing, but to eliminate it completely seems a little too far fetched even if NZ has been reducing the benefits offered to other *A members.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by bsd
Inventory in business T-T has been easier, until now, to access than in economy.
Sounds like possibly a similar case in terms of AA booking on QF across the Tasman. But although QF only has 12 J seats in their 738s, it doesn't seem to affect any AA member booking a J award seat.. And surely NZ can't sell out J for every trans Tasman flight.. Because if they did, I'd see them bringing back J to the A320.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Air NZ's view:
plusgrade > *A Upgrades
$ > Loyalty$
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:50 pm
bsd

Surely this is not a permanent change. Restricting/reducing Business inventory is one thing, but to eliminate it completely seems a little too far fetched even if NZ has been reducing the benefits offered to other *A members.
A bit off-topic but there is a precedent. SQ doesn't make any inventory in F (and often C) available to (most) of *A members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.