Wiki Posts
Search

Delay in status tier change

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANZ GE, DL GM, HH G, MR G
Delay in status tier change

I've searched the threads so forgive me if I've missed it, but why do I have to wait 7 weeks before my Gold status becomes effective? The website knew within 24 hours of my qualifying flight that I'd attained the new level.

I have 3 domestic flights already booked during those 7 weeks and I need to book another TT flight and one to LAX but I won't be entitled to the benefits I've already EARNED during the last 8 months.

I must say this is a joke. I contacted AIRNZ customer service and they said they could issue me a letter for any flights within a week of my effective date which would allow me to use the lounge. Seriously? How about you just confer my status...again I've already earned it.

Has anybody gotten around this delay issue before?

One positive though - I did manage to use my silver recognition upgrade on a TT fare to MEL two weeks ago!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
It's crazy how long it takes and nobody I spoke to at Air NZ could give a rational explanation for the delay.

For domestic lounges, explain how you've qualified G and ask them to check how many SP you have got. I've previously gained admission domestically by doing this, similarly when going to GE have been able to guest multiple people in, etc. using this approach.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
For domestic lounges, explain how you've qualified G and ask them to check how many SP you have got. I've previously gained admission domestically by doing this, similarly when going to GE have been able to guest multiple people in, etc. using this approach.
Unfortunately not all of them have the ability to do this. At PMR after a month of having qualified for Gold (but not effective for another three weeks) I told the staff member at check-in I had qualified as gold and could I please have a fast bag tag. The guy responded and looked at me as if I was lying and made it clear that I was not gold, and that the only way to verify this would be to show him my card (which arrived in the mail 3 days later). He did end up giving me the fast bag tag and pin number to the lounge upon showing him my DJ card, but yeah I wouldn't rely on this.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: NZ*E, DJ G, QF Club
It is quite ridiculous. My partner has just qualified to *E in his own right and won't get his card until the end of November and the flight he qualified on was taken on 2nd Sept. And then there is the delivery of the card, our nephew who ives with us, qualified silver s few months back and the card didn't arrive until a month after he qualified.

NZ seem to be the only airline that does this, every other airline gives you the status automatically on the day of qualification.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: NZ KC/ NZ*G
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Unfortunately not all of them have the ability to do this. At PMR after a month of having qualified for Gold (but not effective for another three weeks) I told the staff member at check-in I had qualified as gold and could I please have a fast bag tag. The guy responded and looked at me as if I was lying and made it clear that I was not gold, and that the only way to verify this would be to show him my card (which arrived in the mail 3 days later). He did end up giving me the fast bag tag and pin number to the lounge upon showing him my DJ card, but yeah I wouldn't rely on this.
I believe the gold isn't show on your airpoint account at this stage
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANZ GE, DL GM, HH G, MR G
"Sir your not gold"

Was the reply I received in the Welly lounge this morning. Access was denied. At least they called the airpoints line to check. I'm sitting on the tarmac thinking to myself which other airline ill book for my next two TT flights and my flight to LAX/SFO. I'll be voting with my wallet - and not for this complete idiocy.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I was told to get the letter. I will be in the same boat this weekend, but as soon as my flight is completed, apparently they will issue me with a letter so that I can (hopefully) squeeze my bum in one of the UA "lounges" while in US.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by NZDawg
Was the reply I received in the Welly lounge this morning. Access was denied. At least they called the airpoints line to check. I'm sitting on the tarmac thinking to myself which other airline ill book for my next two TT flights and my flight to LAX/SFO. I'll be voting with my wallet - and not for this complete idiocy.
So they didn't let you in I take it? Idiocy indeed.

I'd put a complaint through.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G
I too would complain - this is crazy. The time taken for qualification has no justification, the moment you get your status, the benefits (lounge, bags, recognition upgrades) should kick in. I've been in the position that my OW leg of a journey has tripped me over to gold qualification, and I would have been able to use the recognition upgrades on the way back had the RU been given immediately - instead they had to wait. On the other hand, my experience with the team on the phone has been good - and when a mistake was made where points were not properly attributed, they fixed this quickly so i attained the benefits before new status was fully through.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Officially, you will get a response that when a downgrade happens, it takes a month to "lose" previous benefits. Although, the date I moved from GE to G, the difference in the way you are treated was remarkable, from very personable and nice to "maybe". And going to *S was like you are non-existent (all due to pause in flying during and post EQ in CHC). I am not talking about perks and benefits, I would expect them to talk and treat every passenger the same, even non-status ones.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Exclamation Status starts when NZ says so

This whinging over Airpoints is getting monotonous.
The delay is part of the programme in which you agreed to, whether at sign up or subsequent changes is immaterial.
Your status change will begin when NZ informs you.
5.3 We'll review Members' Tier Status every day and we'll notify Members when they attain a Tier Status within eight weeks after they achieve it. Gold Elite, Gold and Silver Tier Status and applicable benefits are valid for 12 months after the applicable Tier Status becomes effective (as notified by us). If, during that 12 month period, a Member achieves a higher Tier Status, all benefits of the current Tier Status will expire and the benefits of the new Tier Status will automatically apply. Twelve months after the date on which a Member achieves a particular Tier Status, that Member's Tier Status will be reviewed; the Member must have earned the required Tier Status points over the previous 12 months in order to keep that Tier Status. The Member will be downgraded to the applicable lower Tier Status if they have not earned the required Status Points.
Terms and Conditions
The fact is Airpoints is a rubbish programme, we all know it, comparisions to other airlines just highlight the fact.
However we choose to use it and we must accept NZ T&C, we can provide more constructive feedback but the constant whinging will get us no where.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:22 pm

Yes, and waiting for up to 7 weeks to be able to enjoy the new tier status is a violation of their Ts & Cs:

a Member achieves a higher Tier Status, all benefits of the current Tier Status will expire and the benefits of the new Tier Status will automatically apply
I think it's a more than valid complaint.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yes, and waiting for up to 7 weeks to be able to enjoy the new tier status is a violation of their Ts & Cs:

I think it's a more than valid complaint.
I do not see where that is stated in the T&C.
You do not achieve the tier status until NZ state it.
It is a feature of the programme, just a particularly poor one. You will not see me deny it is poor especially compared to others but there are no grounds for complaint as the OP and NZ have complied with the T&C of Airpoints, but it is a question of expectations regarding timing.
This is the NZ service of the present not what we used to receive and rated years ago.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:16 pm

The bit I quoted came from your quote of the Ts & Cs. Surely "achieved" can not be interpreted in any other way than attaining the total number of points required?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
The bit I quoted came from your quote of the Ts & Cs. Surely "achieved" can not be interpreted in any other way than attaining the total number of points required?
The sub-extract from 5.3 makes it (painfully) plain IMHO:

... Tier Status and applicable benefits are valid for 12 months after the applicable Tier Status becomes effective (as notified by us).
As Blackcloud notes, it appears to be up to Air NZ to determine when the change of status is applied once the qualifying criteria has been achieved. Of course, we'd all like this to be as soon as the points/miles post to our accounts, and that this should show electronically - and I suspect we are less fussed on how long the 'welcome to Gold pack' takes to arrive.

It isn't uncommon for there to be some form of processing 'gap' between gaining the points for achieving a new level, and a company internally processing the change. Of course, if they really are reviewing status daily, then delay of 7 weeks (?) from an end-user perspective is frustrating indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.