Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpoints Upgrades Gone!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: Air points elite
This blatantly is about getting more money and so Air NZ will be inventory managing comp upgrades like they do today. I've heard that there will be minimum bid amounts which are about twice as expensive as today's standby Airpoints upgrades and so don't expect to get $1 upgrades. This is a sign of a desperate airline

I've also heard Qantas off the back of this are about to offer a status match for gold and elite which Air NZ have handed them on a plate. This is the worst PR disaster for Air NZ
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc
well this to me is the final nail in the coffin. I think now I'm going to change my ANZ visa platnium to an ANZ qantas visa platnium if it still exists....
It does, I got mine 3 weeks ago, and the 10,000 points joining promo has been extended as well.....
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Rden
I've also heard Qantas off the back of this are about to offer a status match for gold and elite which Air NZ have handed them on a plate. This is the worst PR disaster for Air NZ
I never thought this day would come. Probably would give oneworld a try after all. It would be a blow to Virgin as well to some extent as all ex NZ elite will be taking QF flights within Australia.

Fastest growing thread I have ever seen. On page 6 in less than 8 hours which is telling.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:58 am

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
The agent checked with a supervisor and specifically said all standby upgrades (and recognition) would take priority over One-Ups. She put a note in my booking that she had advised me of this.
I don't get how they'd practically do this. Would they really set aside some seats for recognition upgrades from NZ*G and NZ*S whilst processing the OneUp bids?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by skyglow1
I don't get how they'd practically do this. Would they really set aside some seats for recognition upgrades from NZ*G and NZ*S whilst processing the OneUp bids?
They'd just process recognition and standby's first then accept the highest one-up bids after that. So you'd have to have your request in before the 7 days prior to flight. On the website it says to make sure you have the best chance to get your recognition upgrades and standby's processed after 30 May to have them put in as early as possible.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
AirNZ should just quit the Star Alliance right now. What they should do is exit stage left and allow Virgin Australia to take their place. This would be a massive boost for Virgin, as for all of us who hate Qantas, we would then have a good star alliance option for getting from Oz to Europe and around the sun-burnt country.

AirNZ is effectively dead to me.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
They'd just process recognition and standby's first then accept the highest one-up bids after that. So you'd have to have your request in before the 7 days prior to flight. On the website it says to make sure you have the best chance to get your recognition upgrades and standby's processed after 30 May to have them put in as early as possible.
So if you do put your recognition upgrade in before 7 days prior to the flight, they'll work out who gets what in terms of the recognition upgrade prior to looking at the oneup bids, but they still won't let you know if your recognition upgrade has gone through outside of the 48 or 72 hour time frame despite the fact that they've already worked out which recognition upgrades will go through?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
My airpoints are now worthless really.

We don't fly economy other than across the Tasman, for our long-haul travel it is always business.

As the only real use of my points is for upgrading my partner, I have to buy her a premium economy seat now, as the upgrades only go up one level. But with the cost of AirNZ, a premium economy fare to London is equivalent to a business fare on Malaysian airlines, which isn't too bad an airline.

So I have no incentive to fly AirNZ, as I generally pay more for an AirNZ ticket than what I would pay on Cathay and I can upgrade my partner using my points on Cathay, for what is a lesser cost in monetary terms.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I never thought this day would come. Probably would give oneworld a try after all. It would be a blow to Virgin as well to some extent as all ex NZ elite will be taking QF flights within Australia.

Fastest growing thread I have ever seen. On page 6 in less than 8 hours which is telling.
I'll be keeping a close eye out for this status match.

I've had time to digest the email I got this morning, about 5 minutes after I booked DPS and requested using up the four recognition upgrades [RU] we had in the whanau; in fact I thought the email came as a result of my requests!

It states that GE will still get the two RU and that they can confirm up to 355 days out. Then the good news ends. They may only decide to confirm RU at the airport whereas oneup can happen up to 7 days out. So, do you in such an instance ring the premium desk a week out and get them to unwind the RU entry and get into a bidding war if you really want the upgrade? Heck, you could even leave the RU in place and bid against yourself.

And can you still combine two RU to bypass PE on a three class plane? I know you can not oneup such an outocme.

I'm confident my RU will go through as they were put in place before 31-5-12, even if flights are in July. It is just the next few years of my banked GE that are looking a bit bleaker if my RU are likely so devalued.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: NZ*E
What's Rob Fyfe's e-mail?

I think a show of hands is in order
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:16 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
This blows! But I'm really keen to find out what NZ mean by "Your [Silver/Gold/Gold Elite] status will be taken into account when your OneUp Upgrade offer is reviewed". Does this mean:

1 - Bids from status members take precedence when two PAX bid the same $ amount
2 - Bids from status members take precedence no matter how much lower they bid than non-status members (e.g. a $100 bid from GE will take precedence over a $1000 bid from Jade)
3 - A calculation is made, where status bids can be a maximum set % lower than non-status bids in order to take precedence (e.g. GE bids 20% lower will take precedence, G bids 10% lower, S bids 5% lower, or something like that)

Also will be interesting to know how bid precedence works based on booking class. Will a bid to upgrade an M class booing take precedence over a higher bid to upgrade a G class upgrade?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Rden
Where did you hear this? As I've just (qualifying year ended yesterday) missed out on retaining Qantas Platinum, although I have a bunch of flying this weekend that I can hopefully use to sweet-talk Qantas into re-instating me as Platinum.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by mooja074
What's Rob Fyfe's e-mail?

I think a show of hands is in order
[email protected]

He's usually pretty good at answering, although if we were all to bombard (hint) him with our disgust, he may not reply to everyone.....

Another one to include on your email is David Mackrell ( [email protected] ), the new head of loyalty.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by skyglow1
So if you do put your recognition upgrade in before 7 days prior to the flight, they'll work out who gets what in terms of the recognition upgrade prior to looking at the oneup bids, but they still won't let you know if your recognition upgrade has gone through outside of the 48 or 72 hour time frame despite the fact that they've already worked out which recognition upgrades will go through?
Those time frames aren't set in stone. I've had Silver upgrades get confirmed 1 week out when the loading was very low. Say for example 3 days before the flight they do a review of upgrades, this is how it would probably look:

1. Gold Elite Recog's not previously confirmed
2. Gold Recogs
3. Silver Recogs
4. GE standby
5. G standby
6. S standby
7. One-ups
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Those time frames aren't set in stone. I've had Silver upgrades get confirmed 1 week out when the loading was very low. Say for example 3 days before the flight they do a review of upgrades, this is how it would probably look:

1. Gold Elite Recog's not previously confirmed
2. Gold Recogs
3. Silver Recogs
4. GE standby
5. G standby
6. S standby
7. One-ups
However, you won't be able to apply for 4, 5 or 6 After May 30th.

I don't like a pig in a poke ... so it'll be a 25 months long bye bye GE for me.

Using Any Seat Rewards and booking well in advance of travel (same as I have been doing with AirNZ) out I can travel in Business, say, AKL-MEL-LAX on QF for a nett 60,000 QFF points and NZD330.

Lets say an is worth 100 QFF points (~60) so that's cheaper the the current Standby Upgrade rate.

I'll also earn over 20% of WP status requalification.

I can gain AirNZ *G for under US$1000 worth of travel without setting foot on an AirNZ aircraft - none of those pesky 810 SP's on "NZ Flights".

Last edited by serfty; Mar 1, 2012 at 3:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.