Wiki Posts
Search

Airpoints Upgrades Gone!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Airpoints Upgrades Gone!

AIR NEW ZEALAND CHANGING THE WAY AIRPOINTS DOLLARS™ UPGRADES ARE REQUESTED AND ONEUP™ ENHANCED TO INCLUDE GDS BOOKED CUSTOMERS

For travel from 30 May 2012, customers who are booked via a GDS, on flights where there are premium cabins, will be eligible to make bids for upgrades using Air New Zealand’s OneUp™ programme. At the same time Airpoints Stand-by and Confirmed upgrades will be replaced by OneUp™.

OneUp™ is an offer-based upgrade system that allows customers to choose how much they are prepared to pay for an upgrade and make an offer on that basis. OneUp™ offers can be made for a ‘single class’ upgrade, i.e. from Economy to Premium Economy or from Premium Economy to Business. To be eligible, the upgrade offer needs to be submitted to Air New Zealand at least seven days prior to flight departure. Customers can choose whether to pay with Airpoints Dollars™, debit card, credit card or Travelcard.

Airpoints members who book through a travel agent will be able to request a OneUp™ upgrade via myairnz.co.nz or as a travel agent you can make an offer on their behalf using an online form which is currently under development. This online form will be available at airnzagent.co.nz by 30 May2012.

Recognition upgrades are not affected by this change and can be requested as they are today. Likewise, Airpoints Standby and Confirmed Upgrade requests received prior to 30 May 2012 for travel after 30 May 2012 will not be affected and will be treated as they are today.

Exit strategy anyone? We have repeatedly stated that the only value of Airpoints is upgrades. Now they have taken the one and only good thing about Airpoints away. It doesn't mention how it will affect Gold Elite members but in any case, this is our worst nightmare. Time to say good bye to NZ.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Feb 29, 2012 at 4:31 pm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Not a surprise the way the airline managers were taking Airpoints eg. Onesmart.
I would see very few of the FTers remaining with Airpoints as their FFP after this change has been implemented.
IMO this is a very big for frequent flyers and another reason why I have stopped flying NZ internationally.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Not unexpected. AirNZ jumped the shark long ago.

At least I'm rolling banked GE years for the foreseeable future so don't have to fret about crediting to NZ and re-qualifying (though it would seem that there's not much to look forward to, even as one of AirNZ's "elites").
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Makes my JQ status/miles domestic NZ mileage run slightly more palatable, as I also lean more to QF. What to do with my measly balance of 35APD ..?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Makes my JQ status/miles domestic NZ mileage run slightly more palatable, as I also lean more to QF. What to do with my measly balance of 35APD ..?
Throw them on a one-up!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Oh very droll.......
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Now all the Airpoints feartures can be replaced by cash and they are taking away all the meaningful elite benefits. Airpoints does not need to exist anymore. The next step for them should be exiting *A and declaring themselves as a LCC.

I am also starting to understand why Simon had left NZ and feel like we owed him an apology.

Christopher Luxon, the new long haul GM, introduced UK Airport tax on Airpoints Upgrades and One-up not long after this appointment. Is this his doing as well?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:05 pm
bsd

Programs: UA 1MM, NZ Gold Elite
[QUOTE=Xiaotung;18106390][I]AIR NEW ZEALAND CHANGING THE WAY AIRPOINTS DOLLARS™ UPGRADES ARE REQUESTED AND ONEUP™ ENHANCED TO INCLUDE GDS BOOKED CUSTOMERS

For travel from 30 May 2012, customers who are booked via a GDS, on flights where there are premium cabins, will be eligible to make bids for upgrades using Air New Zealand’s OneUp™ programme. At the same time Airpoints Stand-by and Confirmed upgrades will be replaced by OneUp™.

Sorry, but what does 'GDS' stand for in this context?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
What's the rationale for this? I can't really see much benefit in doing it except saving a few $$ on catering?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=bsd;18106611]
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
[I]AIR NEW ZEALAND CHANGING THE WAY AIRPOINTS DOLLARS™ UPGRADES ARE REQUESTED AND ONEUP™ ENHANCED TO INCLUDE GDS BOOKED CUSTOMERS

Sorry, but what does 'GDS' stand for in this context?
Global Distribution System. This is an email sent to travel agents. We consumers do not need to know that.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
The next step for them should be exiting *A and declaring themselves as a LCC.
I agree... except NZ doesn't really know how to behave like a LCC. They only know the fee structure.

Look at their entry fares to DPS... a good LCC would have used the sales launch as a marketing promotion, with a few $300 fares thrown in to entice. Instead NZ prices themselves out of the market in an effort to work down the demand curve rather than influence it (JQ Biz cheaper than NZ Works deluxe!).

So I fail to see any reason to go out of my way to fly NZ except compulsion where they have monopolies.

Sayonara NZ... I'm switching to UA or US.

Last edited by kaimanawa; Feb 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Just curious ok. That means even the top elites don't have standby/confirmed upgrades anymore? So what is the dfference between a Jade member who bids compared to a GE member - and if the Jade member offers a higher bid?

Is this only for travel agents or all members in general?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Exit strategy anyone?
On second thought, yes... the value of switching APD upgrades to one up is twofold:

1) higher income for NZ if supply << demand and oneup nets average upgrade cost greater than old APD upgrade rates

2) information asymmetry. we don't know what average upgrade costs will be so they hope we'll overpay.

We can control (2), by publishing successful one-up bids. And information asymmetry must be the extra value NZ sees in oneup, because otherwise they'd simply increase the cost of APD upgrades.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Airpoints does not need to exist anymore.
The other day I had a thought about the AirNZ CCs ...
With the OneSmart card now. Generally AirNZ CCs like GlobalPlus etc. they pay you $1 per $100 spent or $1.50 at best.

Why not just get a non airline CC with a 1% real money cashback programme. And you are not limited to where you can spend that.

The annual fee is lesser.
Sure you don't get $250 SPs or Platinum Koru discounts......
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

I also note that you can't use Oneup to upgrade from Economy to Business. So if you want business cabin you will need to purchase at least premium economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.