Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpoints Upgrades Gone!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Does anyone know how to contact NZ Herald? I haven't seen this in the media and all Kiwis deserve to know how NZ management has ruined an airline.
http://dynamic.nzherald.co.nz/feedba...?user=newsdesk
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by SMcLean
It's funny you mention Airpoints partners. My husband and I were just discussing something similar last night.
I earn some $A and SP on my BNZ credit card.

With $A for sale for cash, we'll be going back to using ASB and collecting cash back.
I've just written a quick email to them explaining how I feel the changes implemented by AirNZ undermine the business model of the Global Plus card, and that it is causing me to look at alternative (most probably non BNZ) cards.

I'd encourage anyone who shares a similar view to also write to them.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Last night I canceled a refundable longhaul J itin and rebooked in Y - already confirmed in BP on standby u/g on the way up to LAX and don't care if I get it on the return or not. I'll still fly NZ when it suits me, but the loyalty is gone.

Now that I don't care about keeping status, will just pick and choose who has the best deal for each individual trip.

As others have mentioned, I used to rely on getting u/g when traveling with family for leisure trips, but that seems to have come to an end.

I'm in agreement with ajnz - will look forward to the UA/CO flights IAH-AKL as a hopeful replacement.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Does anyone know how to contact NZ Herald? I haven't seen this in the media and all Kiwis deserve to know how NZ management has ruined an airline.
Careful, I can see the headline now.

"Spoilt High status Air NZ flyers losing their travel perks."
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
This is really unfortunate. The loss of confirmed upgrades is such a negative step. It's also not clear to me how complementary upgrades sit in the mix.

I'm GE, and I buy (well, my employer does) my BP tickets for MEL-LAX/SFO. Every now and then, my partner joins me and all those airpoints earnt from those many work flights covers her confirmed upgrade from PE to BP. (has to be confirmed, I'm not having me in BP and her in PE, or vice-versa) This doesn't look possible now. It's a small cost to AirNZ (my reward) for the many $'000 they have earnt from my travels. And its not as if I'm taking away a revenue earner by taking up a seat for my partner using the confirmed upgrade. If the flight is full, there's no seat for her.
Its not clear how my spend on AirNZ is rewarded now. GE (or G) doesn't seem to matter, despite the fact the $ spend is high for GE because of the requirement to fly NZ metal.
If G status is all that I need for lounge access and quicker check in, that's easy using another *alliance carrier when I do my regular Europe trips. I don't need AirNZ for that.
I have other options across the Pacific, but have been loyal to AirNZ because they have great crew on board and great BP seats. Next trip to the US is end April, so I better start looking at what else is out there.
I certainly don't need AirNZ for TT flights, given those changes.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Originally Posted by serfty
Careful, I can see the headline now.

"Spoilt High status Air NZ flyers losing their travel perks."
Me too... Air NZ is a major advertiser with the Herald, and the business desk cuts them a lot of slack.

I like the direct action of Occupy KC, but if it's positive change we're after, we'd get better results with Occupy Qantas Club, showing NZ management that those once-loyal FFers aren't afraid to get up and shift business!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Good news! I have just been informed a decision to not change current GE benefits is forthcoming. Can't verify the source yet. Watch this space. Looks like this thread is working.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by fullthrust
We should consider an Occupy KC
Love it but we shloud buy Fully Flexible tickets so we can "occupy" water and feed us sending tweets and live skype on their wireless bandwith, then at the end of the day leave and get a refund or flight for the next "occupy" and do it all over again!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
Good news! I have just been informed a decision to not change current GE benefits is forthcoming. Can't verify the source yet. Watch this space. Looks like this thread is working.
wow ... so someone actually IS listening!?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by MikeAKL
"Yesterday we announced the introduction of our new offer based upgrade system, OneUp, which has been trialled in the North American, United Kingdom and Australian markets for almost a year now. OneUp lets our customers make an offer to upgrade themselves into an otherwise empty premium seat and the customer determines what theyre prepared to pay for it, with the exception of our Gold Elites who get first preference and can buy a standby upgrade for a fixed price in recognition of their high value status. OneUp is a win-win for both Air New Zealand and our customers. We decide whether or not to accept a customers offer and obviously we gain some revenue that we wouldnt otherwise have earned - customers get a chance at an upgrade that they might not otherwise have been able to afford. If youre not familiar with the programme click here for more background."
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
I'd rather NZ killed this programme completely and start again than doing patch work to settle down angry customers....
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
I would like to see this change extended to *G as well. I worked it out, assuming earning *G on normal fares it costs at least $10K NZ to earn (I'm in Australia, no SCs from any credit card!). That might not seem like much, but at the same time it's better for the airline than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Air NZ cannot and do not compete on price TT, so if they want to retain the likes of me they need to offer me SOMETHING for my loyalty.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by MikeAKL
and so they should IMHO....

Keeping this for GE should only be the interim solution
If they really put their thinking caps on, they should do some damage control to their GEs as soon as they can..... words does travel......

Although I am brand new to GE and is working hard to have 1 year banked by my anniversary this year.... I have always been anticipating the promised changes/improvements to GE what people have been talking about for a year now? Is that thought departed with the out-going Simon?

and also, we need to have the "chart for GE" pretty soon... it will still be disastrous for them if they do not get that chart right! why does AirNZ always put their HVC to the edge would be a good weekend homework for some.......
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
Originally Posted by mmonster
I have always been anticipating the promised changes/improvements to GE what people have been talking about for a year now? Is that thought departed with the out-going Simon?
This was, in fact, the main reason for me to continue to credit to NZ to achieve GE status. But when Bruce Parton (writing in this forum) basically said that he knew nothing about it, I lost all hope ...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Yep, here it is:

Gold Elite Airpoints Standby Upgrades
From 30 May 2012 Gold Elite members will still be able to request Standby Upgrades with Airpoints Dollars at the current Airpoints Dollars values.
Standby Upgrades will only be available to upgrade one class, from Economy to Premium Economy or Premium Economy to Business Premier. If the applicable flight only offers Economy class and Business class your upgrade will move you from Economy into Business class.
To see how many Airpoints Dollars are required for Standby Upgrades check here.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/frequ...andby-upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.