Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777-300 ER mini-reviews

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
It was interesting to sit in the older style BP seats on the 772 AKL-SYD. They seemed lower and smaller (definitely seemed a smaller gap between the seat and the ottoman) and the inferior screen and IFE interface were definitely noticeable.
I didn't notice much difference in seat size, however the "inner" (B/J) 773 beds seem a bit shorter to me compared to the old 744 ones. However the window seats (A/K) seem to benefit from an extra few cm of length due to the curve of the cabin wall.

Also, the new ottoman is smaller than the old one and not really practical any more for "dining together". Tried it, but it was pretty uncomfortable for sitting.

But I agree that the new BP is, overall, a big improvement.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Reason077
I didn't notice much difference in seat size, however the "inner" (B/J) 773 beds seem a bit shorter to me compared to the old 744 ones. However the window seats (A/K) seem to benefit from an extra few cm of length due to the curve of the cabin wall.
That's interesting - on the 773 I was in a window seat, whereas on the 772 we had the "inner" seats (I've always been able to avoid them before). Perhaps some of the size perception was due to that.

Also, the new ottoman is smaller than the old one and not really practical any more for "dining together". Tried it, but it was pretty uncomfortable for sitting.
The larger ottoman on the old design may be part of the reason for the feeling of less space. Re the dining option, we did actually use for dining 'a deux' and it was OK (I was the one sitting on the ottoman, so I should know). I never tried it in the old one so I can't compare to that.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Interesting, I found the 773 seat longer than the old 744. I couldn't touch the end of the ottoman on 773. Both seats were on the 'A' side.

Loved the 773, hated the 744.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:24 pm

Service flows were not slow at all, but the load was so incredibly light (only about 30%) that the staff's workload was hardly typical. The overall look of everything, from cabin to menu to crockery etc was much more coordinated looking. The new plates were a huge improvement - much larger, so the main courses didn't look like they would overflow them. The food itself seemed to have a much fresher edge in taste and presentation - it seemed much more like good food you'd eat on the ground, not airline food. I would have said this was due to convection ovens, but I gather they were removed, so NZ must be doing something else differently.
Service flows have been reverted more or less to what is used on the 744/772 so that is understandable.

To be honest, I find the red wine and champagne glasses to be a bit funky. Prefer the more traditional glasses on other aircraft.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
To be honest, I find the red wine and champagne glasses to be a bit funky. Prefer the more traditional glasses on other aircraft.
Me too! They feel wrong for champagne; and I'm not sure about them for red wine: I tend to served get a massive pour which is not, in itself, a bad thing, but having the crew come back to check you're not p!ssed and say you've demolished three bottles of Syrah by yourself is disconcerting.

The glasses will also skate off the Premium Economy tray tables with ease - but then the table surfaces are like teflon.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:18 pm

The red wine glasses are designed to be self righting in the event they fall over, but if they fail to stay on the tray table, I guess that is of benefit to Business Premier only.
Originally Posted by ajnz
...but having the crew come back to check you're not p!ssed and say you've demolished three bottles of Syrah by yourself is disconcerting.
Welcome to my world!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by ajnz
...but having the crew come back to check you're not p!ssed and say you've demolished three bottles of Syrah by yourself is disconcerting.
We're not checking to see if you're pissed... we're checking for signs of life (and to determine if some kind or support group counselling may be required).
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
A real pity that the convection ovens will not be coming back.
So what happened to them ?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by AndDee
So what happened to them ?
From what I've been told, the induction ovens have been removed due to reliability problems.

A pity, as the concept was quite promising.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
So, in the absence of the convection ovens, is there anything different about the way the food is prepared on the 773s compared to the 772/744 (besides the plates it's served on)? Our food on the 773 LAX-AKL was markedly superior to subsequent flights AKL-SYD (772) and AKL-SFO (744).

I agree with whoever posted that the older style seats do somehow feel smaller than the new 773 ones. I had a comfortable night's sleep on last night's NZ8 but it just felt less roomy and a bit less comfortable - as if there were a few more edges and obstructions or something. The mattress pads do help but for me the 773 BP product is now the clear favourite, and the much improved cabin ambience beats out the nostalgic charms and quietness/privacy of the nose of the 744 (though I'll be sad to see that go, too). I even thought the 773 Y+ product looked preferable to upper deck 744 Y+... though I say that as someone who only sat in the seat for a few minutes, and didn't try to sleep in it.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:35 am

So, in the absence of the convection ovens, is there anything different about the way the food is prepared on the 773s compared to the 772/744 (besides the plates it's served on)? Our food on the 773 LAX-AKL was markedly superior to subsequent flights AKL-SYD (772) and AKL-SFO (744).
Just to clarify, they were induction ovens, not convection ovens.

Originally food would have been cooked from scratch, now it is reheated onboard and then plated.

The old product had meals reheated in casserole dishes, the new product has reheated food, however it is plated onboard for better presentation and quality (e.g. you don't have vegetables sitting in sauces for hours going soggy).
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Lying down in PE?

Some of the posts in this forum mention the ability to lie down across the two middle seats if one of the seats is unoccupied. Does anyone have any experience trying to lie down across the seats when flying with a partner? The NZ YouTube video shows that this is possible, but one never knows if these are real sized people in these promos.

Also, is there any way that two people traveling in the left and right seat pairs can have more space by sleeping on/against one another?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Having flown in a left window PE seat there is no way you could make use of the other seat for sleepng.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:35 pm
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Some of the posts in this forum mention the ability to lie down across the two middle seats if one of the seats is unoccupied. Does anyone have any experience trying to lie down across the seats when flying with a partner? The NZ YouTube video shows that this is possible, but one never knows if these are real sized people in these promos.

Also, is there any way that two people traveling in the left and right seat pairs can have more space by sleeping on/against one another?
It's possible on the inner seats, but don't expect it to be like a lie-flat bed. It's more a case of slouching over each other, rather than really lying down.

On the outer seats, no chance. The outer seats are angled in such a way as to keep each seat relatively private with a bit of a dividing wall, so there's really no option for making use of both.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Flew AKL-LAX last week in PE (26A, window seat) and have to say the privacy was fantastic, also I managed to get very comfortable and got a solid 7 hours sleep - all other aspects of the flight were also great (crew, food and wine)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.