Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL - Tahiti or Bora Bora

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 4:47 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Five nights in Auckland? Here is my suggestion.

Spend the first night in Auckland so you don't drive jetlagged. Stay near the waterfront (Westin, Hilton, Copthorne or Quay West if you fancy an apartment). Take a ferry across to Devonport in the afternoon, then come back and have an early dinner on the harbourfront.

On day 2, drive north to PAIHIA, and reserve a hotel there for two nights. Make sure you go to Waitangi to understand the history of Maori contact with the British. Take the car ferry over to Russell. Have a cruise in the Bay of Islands.

After your Bay of Islands trip, drive past Auckland to go to Rotorua to mix volcanic scenery with Maori culture. After 1 or 2 nights there, return to AKL for your flight to PPT.

By the way, about your Bora Bora hotel. If you want the biggest overwater suite with a luxury bathroom then do go to the Four Seasons or St Regis, but understand that you re on an offshore island and even going out to dinner requires a boat trip. I have a big soft spot for the older Intercontinental, the Moana Beach, which is on Bora Bora proper. It's a five metre hop across Matira Point from Chez Nono, and has the most turqouise blue water of anywhere in Bora Bora. It's magical, and you can walk 5 minutes to a couple of restaurants and a mini-supermarket so you don't have to limit yourself to hotel prices.

If you stay on an offshore motu like the Four Seasons and St Regis you should consider a half-board plan (MAP). If you stay at the Moana Beach don't do it - just go out to eat.

Lastly, if you want somewhere magnificent to stay with spectacular scenery but no crowds, drop Moorea and stay at Le Taha'a Private Island, from which you can see Bora Bora on the horizon. Wonderful property.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
This is maybe slightly OT, but might be relevant since the OP didn't mention if he was paying for the hotels with points or cash.

Is it possible to get any of the overwater bungalows at any of the resorts on Moorea or Bora Bora with any kind of points?

For example, I have looked at both IC's on Bora Bora, and the one on Moorea, and none would let me select anything but a suite on dry land with PC points. Maybe other chains do? Maybe if I called (once I have the point balance needed) vs. booked online?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, Hertz Five Star, A-club Gold
Unfortunately I have to pay for it...

Looking to book tickets. I can either book on the web Air Tahiti Nui AKL-MOZ via PPT. AKL-PPT is operated by NZ. If I call NZ they can only book to PPT and is slightly more expensive.

Will the booking via Air Tahihti Nui generate *A points as it is operated by NZ or do I have to book via NZ to get *A points?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you are booking TN codeshare on NZ operated flight then no miles/points for *A credit.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:30 am
DCF

If you want Star Alliance points, stick not only to booking with Air NZ but NZ-operated flight numbers (two digits rather than four).

Just book PPT-MOZ yourself online. Your luggage wouldn't be connected even on TN - you have to reclaim it at PPT and then walk a few hundred yards to check it back in.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Have now booked via Air NZ on the NZ40/41. Have also booked a hotel at Moorea as the flight schedule was the best and the connecting flight MOZ-BOB made the itinerary rather expensive. The FS at Bora Bora looked wonderful though, but I hope the Moorea OW will be OK as well.

There is plenty of flights from PPT to MOZ, how much time do I need to allow for the transfer? The choices outbound are:
1 hour or 2 hour.

On the return it is either 2 or 4 hours.

In your experince what is needed for the PPT transfer?

I noticed that my NZ40/41 ticket are in T-class, i.e. only 25% earnings. Is its possible to upgarde that booking class to full earning. I stupidly forgot to ask about the booking class when making the reservation.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by appfly
Have now booked via Air NZ on the NZ40/41. Have also booked a hotel at Moorea as the flight schedule was the best and the connecting flight MOZ-BOB made the itinerary rather expensive. The FS at Bora Bora looked wonderful though, but I hope the Moorea OW will be OK as well.

There is plenty of flights from PPT to MOZ, how much time do I need to allow for the transfer? The choices outbound are:
1 hour or 2 hour.

On the return it is either 2 or 4 hours.

In your experince what is needed for the PPT transfer?

I noticed that my NZ40/41 ticket are in T-class, i.e. only 25% earnings. Is its possible to upgarde that booking class to full earning. I stupidly forgot to ask about the booking class when making the reservation.
If you call back very quickly after booking, I think you have an excellent chance of them allowing you to move to a higher booking class without paying a rebooking fee. However, you may find that the price differential (to a full-earning class) is rather steep... Can't hurt to ask though.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:33 pm
DCF

I would go with the longer transit times, because it will take you a fair amount of time both inbound and outbound. The terminals are about 300 yards apart, but baggage reclaim can be SLOOOOOW.

And I agree with Mad Atta - ring back, explain that noone had told you the booking class and that you want a higher one and will happily pay the difference.

Which hotel have you booked on Moorea?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCF
I would go with the longer transit times, because it will take you a fair amount of time both inbound and outbound. The terminals are about 300 yards apart, but baggage reclaim can be SLOOOOOW.

And I agree with Mad Atta - ring back, explain that noone had told you the booking class and that you want a higher one and will happily pay the difference.

Which hotel have you booked on Moorea?
I booked the Sofitel, seems nice, good recommendations...

I will then book the 2 hour transit time, thanks for the information. ^
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:09 pm
DCF

The Sofitel Ia Ora is lovely, but make sure that you get an overwater bungalow or at the vey least a beach bungalow. a reputable website states:

19 overwater units were added to the 20 already here. Most overwater units face the lagoon rather than Tahiti, however, so try to get bungalow no. 117, 119, 120, 122, or 215 through 218.

Ashore, the best views are from three deluxe bungalows on the south end of the property; these are the most private units here, although the beach is much better on the north side.

Least expensive are the garden bungalows whose views are squeezed through the beachfront units
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCF
The Sofitel Ia Ora is lovely, but make sure that you get an overwater bungalow or at the vey least a beach bungalow. a reputable website states:

19 overwater units were added to the 20 already here. Most overwater units face the lagoon rather than Tahiti, however, so try to get bungalow no. 117, 119, 120, 122, or 215 through 218.

Ashore, the best views are from three deluxe bungalows on the south end of the property; these are the most private units here, although the beach is much better on the north side.

Least expensive are the garden bungalows whose views are squeezed through the beachfront units
I got a luxury overwater bungalow, but reading the above it seems that the three of the smaller deluxe has the most privacy... I will look into the the bungalos no.
Thanks for the information.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:23 am
Original Poster

We are on the NZ40/41 AKL-PPT and as I understand the aircraft is a 767-300 which features "Space+" Will be seated there automatically as *G or do I need to call Air NZ? I stated my *G # upon booking.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
If you know your AirNZ booking reference you may be able to retrieve itonlne and perhaps do some seat selection.

See here:If Space+ is not available to you as a *G , then it's time to contact AirNZ.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
If you know your AirNZ booking reference you may be able to retrieve itonlne and perhaps do some seat selection.

See here:If Space+ is not available to you as a *G , then it's time to contact AirNZ.
We were seated in Space+ outbound and inbound Outbound I changed the seating from row 14 as Seatguru stated that it was missing a window. We are now on 13 J&K just in front of the crew resting seats (again according to Seatguru). Are these seats OK? I don't want to end up in seats without recline or AVOD.

The best seats in the house were already taken of course...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are there any flights between Australia/NZ and MOZ? What about between RAR and MOZ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.