AKL - Tahiti or Bora Bora

Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, Hertz Five Star, A-club Gold
AKL - Tahiti or Bora Bora

Hi,
I am going to spend 4 weeks in NZ from late October to late November this year. I will be flying in to AKL from Sweden (29 hours) and stay 2-3 days in AKL before flying on to Cook islands, French polynesia or any other paradise island in the region for a week before returning to AKL and tour NZ.

The problem I have is that via ANZ website I can only find flights to Cook Islands (RAR) eventhough there are other airports listed like Papatee on Tahiti. But the serach resturns an error saying the airport is unknown. I have also search the forum and found flights to Papatee (NZ40/41). Are these flights not available online?

Which island should I go to, considering the flight options from AKL, great resort with excellent snorkelling right of the beach?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I haven't played around with the NZ website, but believe NZ40 flies 2x weekly, AKL-PPT.

TN flies the route 3x weekly.

But if you're looking for "great resort with excellent snorkling right on the beach" then you do not want to simply fly to PPT. The island of Tahiti is not what once envisions when thinking about French Polynesia. Certainly teh intercontinental on the island is a lovely resort, and has overwater bungalows, the what you really think of is Bora Bora -- which requires an extra flight on the domestic Air Tahiti (VT), PPT-BOB-PPT runs ~ US$380 roundtrip usually.

Moorea probably has better snorkling than Bora Bora, though is a bit less stunning in terms of scenery.

French Polynesia is also a pretty pricey destination, they're in the middle of the Pacific and most things have to be shipped in great distances.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:57 am

I had the same problem, PPT does not show up on the ANZ website. Not sure why. If you call them, they can book it for you. I will be flying ANZ 40/41 in six weeks.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
In regards to French Polynesia, the previous poster is absolutely correct. If you're going out of your way to visit "Tahiti", do NOT actually stay on the island of Tahiti. Moorea or Bora Bora is the way to go. Moorea is a cheaper alternative as there's a one hour ferry that will get you there from Papeete (rather than having to fly like you would were you to go to Bora Bora). We stayed at the Sheraton on Moorea (now a Hilton) and it was absolutely gorgeous. Stayed in an overwater bungalow and it's an experience we will never forget. You can also rent a car from the hotel to tour the island. It's an absolutely beautiful place. Although I've never personally visited Bora Bora, I've heard that the scenery is even beautiful than Moorea......however I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed staying in Moorea.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:31 am

Location: airports: SFO (lots) OAK (when possible); live: Concord, CA
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by appfly
Hi,
I am going to spend 4 weeks in NZ from late October to late November this year. I will be flying in to AKL from Sweden (29 hours) and stay 2-3 days in AKL before flying on to Cook islands, French polynesia or any other paradise island in the region for a week before returning to AKL and tour NZ.

The problem I have is that via ANZ website I can only find flights to Cook Islands (RAR) eventhough there are other airports listed like Papatee on Tahiti. But the serach resturns an error saying the airport is unknown. I have also search the forum and found flights to Papatee (NZ40/41). Are these flights not available online?

Which island should I go to, considering the flight options from AKL, great resort with excellent snorkelling right of the beach?
Not that you shouldn't consider French Polynesia but don't necessarily skip over "only [emphasis mine]... Cook Islands."

I just spent 2 spectacular weeks there in May. I stayed on the secondary island, Aitutaki (a 45-minute small plane ride from RAR) and it absolutely fulfills the requirements you listed, "paradise island" with "great resort with excellent snorkeling right off the beach."

Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The Air NZ website does list Papeete but under Tahiti. Similarly Nadi is listed under Fiji, Apia under Samoa, Nuku'alofa under Tonga, Port Vila under Vanuatu and Noumea as New Caledonia. Niue is listed as Niue and Norfolk Island as Norfolk Island.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The Air NZ website does list Papeete but under Tahiti. Similarly Nadi is listed under Fiji, Apia under Samoa, Nuku'alofa under Tonga, Port Vila under Vanuatu and Noumea as New Caledonia. Niue is listed as Niue and Norfolk Island as Norfolk Island.
and Rarotonga as Cook Islands The Cooks get my vote too as an all round paradise destination without the extreme costs of French Polynesia.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I have certainly looked att Cook Islands and Aitutaki as it was my first thought. I just didn't want to "lock on to" CI if there were far better choices. Have not found any "over-the-water-bungalowes" on the Cooks though. The premier resort is even pricier than the Sofitel on Moorea...

When it comes to Cook islands, it seems that Aitutaki is the best choice but since that requires another flight the total cost for AKL-RAR-AIT is on the level of reaching other desitinations. The RAR-AIT flight cost the same as AKL-RAR...

Kiwi and deconz,
I did notice the listings, but it didn't work to book online other than RAR.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by appfly
Kiwi and deconz,
I did notice the listings, but it didn't work to book online other than RAR.
I don't know why you couldn't book online. I've flown to every one of Air NZ's island destinations, all booked online at Air NZ website without any issues (except for booking accommodation at PPT as a package due to crossing the dateline).
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:48 pm

I just figured it out. My ANZ website is set to the US location. If I changed my location setting to NZ or the pacific islands, I can then see PPT. That is weird.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I have recently returned from FP and I can say that Tahiti is really a 3 day stop the most. At the IC do not waste your money on those overwater bungalows.
Go to Moorea there are many top notch options, be aware the IC there is undergoing redevelopment so the pool was closed and very noisey construction. I stayed at the Pearl Resort and would recommend it.
Due to recent local issues I have noticed many accomodation deals on the internet that include airfares to Bora Bora and Moorea so you can do both if you so wish. Or stay at Moorea, great snorkelling and stunning scenery.^
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Due to recent local issues I have noticed many accomodation deals on the internet that include airfares to Bora Bora and Moorea so you can do both if you so wish. Or stay at Moorea, great snorkelling and stunning scenery.^
What are the recent local issues about?

Last edited by bradcc; Aug 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by bradcc
What are the recent local issues about?
Early June there was a strike with the impact of closing the international airport for several days. Other impacts were on ferry services, food and petrol supplies. This lead to a reported 80% cancellation of July - August bookings, and FP was still suffering a downturn due to the GFC.
I have not been to the other South Pacific islands but we loved our time in FP and did not mind too much the extra week we were forced to stay there.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:48 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
As everyone is writing, PPT is really just an overnight stop en route to the outer islands of Bora Bora (BOB) and Moorea (MOZ).

The one problem you have is that if you try to do BOB and MOZ in cheap hotels you won't enjoy it. If you have a very tight budget and can't go to an outer island anywhere, just go to the Pacific Resort on Rarotonga which at least has turquoise water and powdery white sand.

My suggestion is as follows:

Combine Bora Bora and Moorea, and just overnight in Tahiti if you have to.

1. Take NZ40 on a Monday because that one arrives in Tahiti at 1600 on Sunday.

2. Book Air Tahiti (not Nui) PPT-MOZ on the 1800 flight that Sunday, so you spend your first three nights on Moorea, not Tahiti. Stay only at the Sofitel, the Hilton or the Intercontinental.

3. Book Air Tahiti MOZ-BOB on the Wednesday, and stay four nights on Bora Bora. Either Intercontinental, or the Hilton, or the St Regis or the Four Seasons. Consider the Sofitel Motu if they are too dear, or the Sofitel Marara or Pearl Beach if your budget is still blown. If you really can't even afford that, stay at Chez Nono on Matira Beach.

4. Book Air Tahiti VT261 BOB 1150 PPT 1330 on Sunday, connecting to:

5. NZ41 to Auckland departing PPT at 1715.

This way you don't have to stay in Tahiti at all. You get 3 nights on Moorea and 4 on Bora Bora, and that is the absolute best 2-centre island holiday in the world.

The cheapest decent two-centre Moorea/Bora Bora combination would be Les Tipaniers on Moorea and Chez Nono on Bora Bora, but then you will have no safe etc.

A way to do it in comfort would be to book the cheapest room at the Hilton Moorea and Hilton Bora Bora.

If I wanted the most romantic option, I would combine a Tahiti-view bungalow at the Sofitel Moorea with a horizon overwater bungalow at the cheaper of the two Bora Bora Intercontinentals, the Moana Beach.

If I wanted unabashed luxury, I'd combine the overwater bungalow at Intercontinental Moorea with the same at Four Seasons Bora Bora.

One word of warning. Moorea has sensational mountains, but the lagoon colours on Bora Bora are the most spectacular sight of all. You will regret it if you visit Bora Bora first - you MUST do Moorea first. Plus there are no flights left that evening to BOB after NZ40 arrives from AKL, whereas there are still two more Moorea flights.

Hope that helps.........

Last edited by DCF; Aug 3, 2010 at 5:56 am
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by DCF
As everyone is writing, PPT is really just an overnight stop en route to the outer islands of Bora Bora (BOB) and Moorea (MOZ).

The one problem you have is that if you try to do BOB and MOZ in cheap hotels you won't enjoy it. If you have a very tight budget and can't go to an outer island anywhere, just go to the Pacific Resort on Rarotonga which at least has turquoise water and powdery white sand.

My suggestion is as follows:

Combine Bora Bora and Moorea, and just overnight in Tahiti if you have to.

1. Take NZ40 on a Monday because that one arrives in Tahiti at 1600 on Sunday.

2. Book Air Tahiti (not Nui) PPT-MOZ on the 1800 flight that Sunday, so you spend your first three nights on Moorea, not Tahiti. Stay only at the Sofitel, the Hilton or the Intercontinental.

3. Book Air Tahiti MOZ-BOB on the Wednesday, and stay four nights on Bora Bora. Either Intercontinental, or the Hilton, or the St Regis or the Four Seasons. Consider the Sofitel Motu if they are too dear, or the Sofitel Marara or Pearl Beach if your budget is still blown. If you really can't even afford that, stay at Chez Nono on Matira Beach.

4. Book Air Tahiti VT261 BOB 1150 PPT 1330 on Sunday, connecting to:

5. NZ41 to Auckland departing PPT at 1715.

This way you don't have to stay in Tahiti at all. You get 3 nights on Moorea and 4 on Bora Bora, and that is the absolute best 2-centre island holiday in the world.

The cheapest decent two-centre Moorea/Bora Bora combination would be Les Tipaniers on Moorea and Chez Nono on Bora Bora, but then you will have no safe etc.

A way to do it in comfort would be to book the cheapest room at the Hilton Moorea and Hilton Bora Bora.

If I wanted the most romantic option, I would combine a Tahiti-view bungalow at the Sofitel Moorea with a horizon overwater bungalow at the cheaper of the two Bora Bora Intercontinentals, the Moana Beach.

If I wanted unabashed luxury, I'd combine the overwater bungalow at Intercontinental Moorea with the same at Four Seasons Bora Bora.

One word of warning. Moorea has sensational mountains, but the lagoon colours on Bora Bora are the most spectacular sight of all. You will regret it if you visit Bora Bora first - you MUST do Moorea first. Plus there are no flights left that evening to BOB after NZ40 arrives from AKL, whereas there are still two more Moorea flights.

Hope that helps.........
Thanks a lot, that is great information. I really want to avoid a unnecessary night in Tahiti, looking for the fastest possible connection to Moorea or Bora Bora. I have been looking at the Sofitel and Four Seasons, they seem very nice

I think it will work with our schedule too, we just spend a few more days in Auckland before continuing on to the Islands. Any pointers on how to spend 5 days in AKL the best. I can happily rent a car and drive outside AKL and stay in a nice B&B a day or two.

As for the booking on ANZ website, I get all the airport options, but always receive an error message. However using a external flight booking site, then it finds flights with ANZ and Air Tahiti to these locations...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.