Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Two Skyteam Bookings, One Day. Am I heading for trouble?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)

Ok, I am trying to book a few days in the Russian Federation to see a friend. I thought, since it's a real pain to get visas and generally get a few days holiday time I may as well squeeze a St. Petersburg visit in there too.

Hopeful itin looks like this

LBA-AMS-SVO 13th Apr with KLM dep 0605 arr 1450 (booking 1)
SVO-LED 16th Apr with Aeroflot dep 12.50 arr 1420 (booking 2)
LED-SVO 18th Apr with Aeroflot dep 11.05 arr 12.45 (booking 2)
SVO-AMS-LBA 18th Apr with KLM dep 15.50 arr 21.15 (booking 1)

I can't book a Multi-city trip because it costs too much, so can't get the two returns on one ticket - am I asking for trouble here? Or do the new EU regulations come to my aid?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by OttoMH
I can't book a Multi-city trip because it costs too much, so can't get the two returns on one ticket - am I asking for trouble here? Or do the new EU regulations come to my aid?
Just be aware that if something goes wrong (delay, cancellation) on your LED-SVO flight (I assume all tickets are non-flexible), it will be your risk. The airline isn't obliged to help you out of the flights are on seperate tickets. It's your call whether you want to accept the risk.

Travel insurance may help in case things go wrong, but I would contact them to see if a misconnect is covered in this case.

BTW: EU regulations do not matter in this case IMHO.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Just checked with the insurers and the answer is a definitive no.

Hmm.. what a ball ache this it turning out to be!!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:29 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
I don't think your SU flight is likely to be late but to make sure you might as well cancel your booking 2 and take the overnight train between Moscow and StPete. Trains in Russia run to the minute (OK, I was on one that was two minutes late but well...), you save on your hotel bill and whenever your train arrives in Moscow, you've still a few hours to get to SVO for the KL flight. (Most overnight train arrive around 7-10 am). Granted, it's a minor PITA to have to get to SVO from the railway station as opposed to flying in from LED...
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:18 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Hmm.. what a ball ache this it turning out to be!!
I just don't get it. Why are people so pessimistic these days?! Why do you automaticall assume something WILL go wrong?! Relax. Chances are it will be OK and you have a 3 hour connecting time anyway so even if your flight is delayed by, say an hour, you should still be able to make your connection. BTW, since all flights are ST (even if on separate bookings), do ask SU if they can check you all the way through from LED. Alternatively, use KL's online check-in or just walk to the KL check in desks at LED and ask them to check you in for your SVO-AMS-LBA flight (I believe it will be easier if you have no checked luggage).
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomad1974
I just don't get it. Why are people so pessimistic these days?! Why do you automaticall assume something WILL go wrong?! Relax. Chances are it will be OK and you have a 3 hour connecting time anyway so even if your flight is delayed by, say an hour, you should still be able to make your connection. BTW, since all flights are ST (even if on separate bookings), do ask SU if they can check you all the way through from LED. Alternatively, use KL's online check-in or just walk to the KL check in desks at LED and ask them to check you in for your SVO-AMS-LBA flight (I believe it will be easier if you have no checked luggage).
I'm gonna call the KLM reservation centre and see what they can organise.

Hand-baggage only is now no-longer possible, unless you fancy locating some contact lens solution, toothpaste & deodourant on a Friday afternoon in Russia
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Hand-baggage only is now no-longer possible, unless you fancy locating some contact lens solution, toothpaste & deodourant on a Friday afternoon in Russia
Can't vouch for the contact lens solution as I don't use any but the rest is widely available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (And if we're talking about hand luggage on your LED-SVO flight - they couldn't care less about your contact lense solution and the toothpaste, you can take it all onboard)
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apoivre
Can't vouch for the contact lens solution as I don't use any but the rest is widely available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (And if we're talking about hand luggage on your LED-SVO flight - they couldn't care less about your contact lense solution and the toothpaste, you can take it all onboard)
Haha - yeah - I have seen pictures of squaddies cleaning their Kalashnikov's on the subway so I would imagine you can take a pound of semtex on the Tulov and nobody would bat an eyelid!

As a secondary point - weren't Tulov's WWII bombers? Or am i confused
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:44 am

Ehm, I travel with hand luggage all the time. You're allowed up to 10 items of 100ml each so just get some smaller bottles, make sure you have them in a transparent plastic bag and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by nomad1974
Ehm, I travel with hand luggage all the time. You're allowed up to 10 items of 100ml each so just get some smaller bottles, make sure you have them in a transparent plastic bag and you'll be fine.
There are no restrictions on (non-inflammable) liquids/gels on domestic Russian flights - unless they ban alcohol as they proposed to.

Haha - yeah - I have seen pictures of squaddies cleaning their Kalashnikov's on the subway
I'm afraid you're in for a very dissapointing visit
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Just checked in Amadeus, the KL fare can be combined with the SU fare - so it can easily be done on one single ticket, thus guaranteeing that the airline(s) have to protect you in the event of a misconnect.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by apoivre
There are no restrictions on (non-inflammable) liquids/gels on domestic Russian flights - unless they ban alcohol as they proposed to.
Yes, but I think he's worried about catching his SVO-AMS-LBA flight if the LED-SVO one is late so there are definitely liquid restrictions there.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by rcs85551
Just checked in Amadeus, the KL fare can be combined with the SU fare - so it can easily be done on one single ticket, thus guaranteeing that the airline(s) have to protect you in the event of a misconnect.
In my opinion that would depend on the fare purchased on both airlines.
As far as I know some rock-bottom fares are not combinable between airlines, it really depends on the conditions of each fare.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by jetfan
In my opinion that would depend on the fare purchased on both airlines.
As far as I know some rock-bottom fares are not combinable between airlines, it really depends on the conditions of each fare.
As said, I put it together in Amadeus and priced it accordingly. The fares are combinable. This has nothing to with one's opinion
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks rcs85551!

I finally got through to someone at KLM

They can put the KL and SU flights on the same booking with the Rock-bottom (Take-off) Fare.

341.80 all-in, which considering 236.80 LBA-AMS-SVO and E139.00 (~94) SVO-LED isn't soo bad.

6 Skyteam segments more towards status, but screwed on miles (damn those 25% fares )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.