Wiki Posts
Search

Why the changing availability?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Why the changing availability?

Hi all
I am an Elite Platinum member and tried to book 2 seats on a LHR-BKK return flight this morning...after checking availability online, I called reservations to be told there was no more availability (there is, just not for award miles use!). I went back online, and sure enough could not get the flight again, but WAS able to book two lots of one way journeys. Again, I call to book, and get told there's no availability (again, there is, just not for award miles use!)
Short of booking online next time I get the offer (now there's only OPEN MILES options left which isn't preferable), does anyone have any tips on booking flights and ensuring availability?...I can be flexible with dates, but can't find a 14 day LHR to BKK return any time in late April / early May.
Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetimer / Air NZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by olioli
Hi all
I am an Elite Platinum member and tried to book 2 seats on a LHR-BKK return flight this morning...after checking availability online, I called reservations to be told there was no more availability (there is, just not for award miles use!). I went back online, and sure enough could not get the flight again, but WAS able to book two lots of one way journeys. Again, I call to book, and get told there's no availability (again, there is, just not for award miles use!)
Short of booking online next time I get the offer (now there's only OPEN MILES options left which isn't preferable), does anyone have any tips on booking flights and ensuring availability?...I can be flexible with dates, but can't find a 14 day LHR to BKK return any time in late April / early May.
Thanks
Try the tool again requesting one way flights. I've had success booking award tickets this way.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I noticed the same thing earlier. Strange, hey?
I guess for now I'm left hoping that someone cancels their seats, or they release more seats for Award Miles users!!!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:38 am

as a platinum member, you have acces to the "overbooking procedure" that allows you to have extra quota of awards on KLM flights
of course it will not be working on all flights but that can help sometimes...
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: klm pe
Originally Posted by mynameismud2
as a platinum member, you have acces to the "overbooking procedure" that allows you to have extra quota of awards on KLM flights
of course it will not be working on all flights but that can help sometimes...
welcome to FT olioli.

The trick is to keep phoning....there are some very helpful people but also some very non-cooperative cows working at the FB helpdesk. Also you have to inform them that you are a platinum, sometimes they can't think for themselves that they can open a special booking class, but the trick is to speak to some one and if don't help you properly, just hang up and try again..
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Wow guys! So this overbooking facility/extra booking class facility may prove useful...is this available on the website? Their web awards booking system seems pretty awful!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:30 pm

Wow guys! So this overbooking facility/extra booking class facility may prove useful...is this available on the website? Their web awards booking system seems pretty awful!

no, i think only FB or AF/KL agents (if they know the entry) can do this
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys
I called the European number and the lady in France didn't have a clue of what I was talking about. I called the US/Canada number and told the operator exactly what I needed (A KLM flight on the dates specified, to get access to the seats for platinum card holders, and for her to book me one of those seats specifically)...Lo and behold, the seats are booked, and the best bit is, 2 passengers LHR-BKK return only cost 80,000 Airmiles in total (that's 40,000 less than the best price the website quoted me today, the most expensive being 320,000)
Thanks for your prompting guys or I would have never have known about that.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:59 pm
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Hi guys
2 passengers LHR-BKK return only cost 80,000 Airmiles in total
You mean you got it for 40,000 return trip each person? As in 20,000 per person per one way???
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Yeah....that's not right, is it?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:06 pm
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Yeah....that's not right, is it?
It is listed as 80,000 return trip for one person.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

DOH! They've just rectified the mistake and deducted the other 80,000 miles! Nooooooooo!!!
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:49 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
DOH! They've just rectified the mistake and deducted the other 80,000 miles! Nooooooooo!!!
Well that is only fair...
However, my biggest issue with this is that you have to call in and, by chance, find a helpful agent to get access to these fare buckets.
That should be a standard procedure AND automated in the online system.
No bias, no favoritism, nor pleadiing should be necessary.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by jetfan
Well that is only fair...
However, my biggest issue with this is that you have to call in and, by chance, find a helpful agent to get access to these fare buckets.
That should be a standard procedure AND automated in the online system.
No bias, no favoritism, nor pleadiing should be necessary.
Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité !

The Blue Dream !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.