Search

Can a friend use my FB number?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Can a friend use my FB number?

Hi,

a friend of mine will fly Air France and don't want to take a FB card.

Can he then give my FB number at the check in ?
Will the miles be post to my account?
Is it strongly vorbidden?

thank you
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Yes. Strongly forbidden. The card is personal, and if they find out (I don't know how good their anti-fraud protection is) you will most likely find that your Flying Blue account is terminated.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:27 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by larsll
Yes. Strongly forbidden. The card is personal, and if they find out (I don't know how good their anti-fraud protection is) you will most likely find that your Flying Blue account is terminated.
It isn't very hard for them. Computer will not accept any card which doesn't match FB number and name on boarding pass.

Plus if you read on the rear of the card it says something like "This card is strictly personal."
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by GVA
It isn't very hard for them. Computer will not accept any card which doesn't match FB number and name on boarding pass.
Actually, I have at least 2 personal experiences in which AF computers failed to match my FF# and my name :
- My FF# number printed on a relative's boarding pass (and not on mine) during a family trip (same last name, but first name totally different of course). Miles posted though, and not posted for the relative.
- My FF# number printed on my boarding pass despite I had inverted my first name and my last name during the reservation process (instead of Mr BOD ORY, I typed Mr ORY BOD). Names were also inverted on the boarding pass. Miles posted.

In both cases, I did not entered my FF# during the reservation process (at TA office for the first example, on lastminute.com for the second one), but the # has been manually entered in the system at check-in by the AF agent (both in CDG).

I have a third AF experience, not personal this time. At CDG check-in, colleague has forgotten his FF card (and number). Check-in lady searched in her computer for the number, wrote it down on a paper, and failed while retyping the number on the system . She then gave us the paper. On the B/P, colleague name was not matching her FF# and a lucky AF Frequent Flyer must have seen his account credited for a CDG-SGN flight! Unfortunately for the colleague, she discovered this while on the plane. Again, the number was not entered during the booking process, but only at check-in.

Maybe the bug has been fixed now.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: FB, UA, TG, SU
Why? is FB card too heavy to carry.

:At least, he can try.

:Most probably not.

:don't know whether it is "strongly" forbidden, but can imagine
it is forbidden.

The only way you can get his or her miles is when both you and your friend have the same last name, and have the same initial in your first names.
And the same sex. @:-)

Originally Posted by ThCo
Hi,

thank you
Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Star Alliance Silver
ok, thx

he don't want to take a FB card because he will fly on AF probably once in his entire life...
the useful program in VIE is miles&more
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Gold, BA Blue
Last month I flew SFO-IAH-BRO on CO. My friend was flying LGW-IAH-BRO also on CO (we both got the same IAH-BRO flight). My other friend had booked all the tickets and sorted out all the FF etc. It turns out that my FB FF number was entered into my friends’ flight for LGW-BRO, at the airport he told me he got priory baggage/boarding etc. and his boarding card had SkyTeam Elite Plus on it. Looking at my account when I got back, I did receive his miles for LGW-IAH but not for IAH-BRO due to I was on that flight with the same FF number.
It does work on CO but as the above posters said FB might terminate your account so not worth the risk.

Dom.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
I got my miles credited automatically when flying AF with different last name than in my account, but I try to never do this. It is a common Scandinavian phenomenon to have some Øs turn into either O or OE. Also a friend of mine flew with the wrong gender on the ticket, no problem.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Originally Posted by DomScarff
Last month I flew SFO-IAH-BRO on CO. My friend was flying LGW-IAH-BRO also on CO (we both got the same IAH-BRO flight). My other friend had booked all the tickets and sorted out all the FF etc. It turns out that my FB FF number was entered into my friends’ flight for LGW-BRO, at the airport he told me he got priory baggage/boarding etc. and his boarding card had SkyTeam Elite Plus on it. Looking at my account when I got back, I did receive his miles for LGW-IAH but not for IAH-BRO due to I was on that flight with the same FF number.
It does work on CO but as the above posters said FB might terminate your account so not worth the risk.

Dom.
Wow does this mean you managed to do SFO-IAH AND LGW-IAH as well as IAH-BRO on the SAME day? And computer saw no errors?
Old Apr 15, 2006, 7:40 am

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Gold, BA Blue
Originally Posted by sjefenole
Wow does this mean you managed to do SFO-IAH AND LGW-IAH as well as IAH-BRO on the SAME day? And computer saw no errors?
I yea it must of done, looking at my FB statement I would of been on 2 planes at once. As I boarded the SFO flight my friend was somewhere over the Atlantic! I'm quite surprised that they don't have a simple surname check of the FF card holder and the person that is flying. I think if you gave your FF number out to loads of people then they probably on to you pretty quickly.

Dom.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sjefenole
Actually there isn't much point in designing a computer system in such a way that it will pick up these seldomly occuring anomolies (being on 2 flights at the same time) - the money spent on doing that will probably be more than the money saved by not awarding these miles....

Now, as DomScarff suggested, one thing that the computer system should check is if the name of the pax matches the name on the FF account - in order to reduce the amount of false positives it is probably best to only match the surname. An error in this is much more likely to happen, e.g. if the check-in staff makes a mistake when manually entering the number.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:40 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Slightly OT, but a friend of mine (who was Ivory at the time) used my PE FF# to gain access to NW's preferred seating zone at the time of his booking.

Needless to say his ploy worked and I was not a happy bunny (his rear-end got a quite large number of corrections after the occurrence).

I however alerted AF of the occurrence - beware of people trying this now as you shall (...) get an nicey audit with all of its consequences :-D

UTA
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:16 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
Slightly OT, but a friend of mine (who was Ivory at the time) used my PE FF# to gain access to NW's preferred seating zone at the time of his booking.

Needless to say his ploy worked and I was not a happy bunny (his rear-end got a quite large number of corrections after the occurrence).

I however alerted AF of the occurrence - beware of people trying this now as you shall (...) get an nicey audit with all of its consequences :-D

UTA
What a nice way to treat your friends.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh

UTA
Why would you feel the need to do this maybe one day you would be happy to benefit from the same glitch.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:12 pm

My friend also kinldly gave my number so that I could get his miles on my account. Sometimes, it worked well, sometimes it did not work.
So, why not at least try.

Originally Posted by ThCo
Hi,

thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.