Search

Buy tickets online from NWA.com ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Buy tickets online from NWA.com ??

Help,

Is there any way it is possible to buy a ticket from the US NWA site (I am based in the UK) ?

I want to fly from BHX to BKK on 8th Sep return on 24th Sep. The ticket on KLM.com costs £502 on a V class (25% miles), but exactly the same ticket is available at NWA.com for £469 on a Q class ticket (full miles).

When I try to book the ticket on NWA, it won't accept my postcode and directs me to select my country. When I do this it just opens up the KLM.com site and charges me £30 more with 75% less points

Is there any clever way around this ? The only thing that I can think of is that next time I go to the States I take the cash and get someone to book it for me with their credit card. Are there any pitfalls doing this ? Are they likely to ask to see the credit card used to purchase the tickets at check in ?

Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Doug
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
You can't buy tickets on NW's site if you live in a country "serviced" by KLM.

Just go to any high street travel agent and they'll be happy to sell you the NW ticket.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:26 am

Programs: AA Exp
You could also use the credit card of an American friend.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:10 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
see PM
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:34 am

Go to somewhere like Expedia and enter NW as your preferred carrier - that's what's worked for me in the past.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Try Canadian site. London, Ontario :P Your postal code should match fairly well.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:38 am
KRS

Originally Posted by sjefenole
Try Canadian site. London, Ontario :P Your postal code should match fairly well.
I've done this a few times as well (both with UK and Norwegian issues cards) for KLM flights. Works like a charm; I guess there is no validation on the postcode. The savings can be significant (i.e. CAD200 vs. EUR220)
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Tickets Booked

Thanks folks, I've just booked the tickets via the Canadian option on the NWA website. This was exactly the 'clever way around' that I was looking for.

In retrospect, it all seems very obvious.

Doug
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:44 am

KLM reservations is another way around

Originally Posted by Doug_1970
When I try to book the ticket on NWA, it won't accept my postcode and directs me to select my country. When I do this it just opens up the KLM.com site and charges me £30 more with 75% less points
Buying a ticket from the NorthWest website in February 2006 I faced the same problem. I wanted to book a return from JFK - AMS at NorthWest.com. I have an 2nd address in NYC but I hold an Amex card that is issued in Europe. I could not complete the booking. NorthWest.com wouldn’t accept my non-US Amex card.

I called KLM reservations in Amsterdam. The KLM agent was aware of the problem and booked me the JFK to AMS return. I got exactly the NorthWest.com price. Moreover she waived the usual extra fee for not booking via the website.

Originally Posted by KRS
I've done this a few times as well (both with UK and Norwegian issues cards) for KLM flights. Works like a charm; I guess there is no validation on the postcode
The clever way around this is booking via the Canadian option at the NWA website. Can anyone confirm what KRS mentions, i.e. that the Canadian option at the NWA website works with non-US credit cards?
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:43 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
NWA inventory is generally cheaper than KLM for the same flights as noted above. Note, that expedia.com uses nwa's inventory thus giving pretty much the same prices as nwa.com (still way cheaper than klm.com).

Regarding the nwa.com accepting foreign credit cards, it does accept them. Just you need to make the address match (system only looks at first line of address and varifies that city matches post code entry [but not billing]).
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I have bought tickets from NWA.com previously but my last booking with the same card was rejected. Don't know why but when I called them they told me I can't use foreign cards..
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:20 am
KRS

Originally Posted by Gnopps
I have bought tickets from NWA.com previously but my last booking with the same card was rejected. Don't know why but when I called them they told me I can't use foreign cards..
At what stage was it rejected? During or after the booking process?

I booked a couple of flights (KL) on the Canadian NWA site yesterday but still have not received an email confirmation, nor can I access the itinerary on virtuallythere.com (I assume sabre is the correct booking engine?) However I can access the reservation on nwa.com. The reservation shows the confirmation number, but "none" for the e-ticket number. I guess this means the ticket has not been issued yet?

How long can it take for the ticket to be issued? (or my card to be rejected)
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:45 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by KRS

I booked a couple of flights (KL) on the Canadian NWA site yesterday but still have not received an email confirmation, nor can I access the itinerary on virtuallythere.com (I assume sabre is the correct booking engine?) However I can access the reservation on nwa.com. The reservation shows the confirmation number, but "none" for the e-ticket number. I guess this means the ticket has not been issued yet?

That was what happened to me. I had a reservation but the ticket was never issued. Some weeks later the reservation was cancelled automatically.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KRS

During day time hours (Mo-Fr) it takes 1/2 hr max. to issue an ETKT; over the weekend it can take until next Monday.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:09 am

I tried to book a flight on NMA.com last year and had the same problem, I called and spoke to a helpful agent who suggested a work around, don't remember exactly what now, but it didn't work, so I ended up going the Expedia route. Maybe the Canadian NWA site may be worth a try next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.