Wiki Posts
Search

Flying blue: misleading information ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:50 am

Programs: AF Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More
Angry

[QUOTE=Patrick59]Hi !

I am a Flying Blue Gold status member and I had the surprise a few weeks ago to notice that the information featured in the Flying blue documentation is misleading, not to say false...
Air France is indeed stressing out in its documentation that the minimum credit for European flights is 750 miles... But it turned out not to be true.... I indeed flew coach from Geneva to Paris a few weeks ago and I was credited with only 180 miles (!!!) for the flight to Paris and with 750 miles for the return flight..... Air France gave me a vague and very unclear explanation. They were quite embarassed when I stressed that their communication seemed to be misleading since European flights were in fact not all awarded with a minimum of 750 miles...... I have to say that I find that kind of behavior pretty disappointing.... Have some of you made the same experiences?
Please double-check your miles reports in the future... Air France seems to start playing weird games..... Be carefull...

Being (still!) a FB Gold member, I had a very similar experience, and when realizing now how the mileage accrual rules have changed with FB, I became pretty dismayed. In fact, I earned only 178 miles for a flight from Paris CDG to Newcastle NCL on June 19, and only 858 miles (instead of 3432) for a flight from Montreal YUL to Paris CDG on June 14.

Their new mileage accrual rules were not published in a very transparent manner, and the glossy brochure mailed out in April-May did not say anything of this decline in standard.

Altogether, these changes make Air France much less attractive for frequent flyers than it used to be, and my loyalty to the company will likely suffer significantly from this. I will clearly be much less inclined than I have been in recent years to pay higher fares for Air France than for other airlines (in particular, low-cost carriers), in order to earn miles under your Flying Blue program.

I sent them a letter of complaint and I am now waiting for their reply.

Has anybody had any replies to similar complaints?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:32 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I seriously doubt you will ever get a reply.

If you look at some other threads, you will find that a reply from FB (managed by AF) is a mission impossible !
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:36 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Highland Flyer
Altogether, these changes make Air France much less attractive for frequent flyers than it used to be, and my loyalty to the company will likely suffer significantly from this. I will clearly be much less inclined than I have been in recent years to pay higher fares for Air France than for other airlines (in particular, low-cost carriers), in order to earn miles
Actually, it depends on the route. The N fares which earn 25% mileage accrual are quite cheap.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:25 am

Programs: SK-EBD/*A Gold, BA Gold/OW Emerald, HH Gold, ChoiceHotels Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Plat,
Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus
Hello Patrick and welcome to FT and to the FB board.

You don't give all the details but I suspect your 2 segments were flown after the enforcement of the new FB rules. The difference between the 2 credits might be explained by different booking codes. I assume you didn't have a strange combination such as "discounted economy" (outbound segment) + "business class" or "Tempo Challenge" (inbound segment), so the only explanation I can suggest is that you had your 2 segments in Tempo (restricted Economy) and that the inbound segment (CDG-GVA) was in a booking code that allows only 25% of 750 miles i.e. 187 miles. I bet it was booked in "N".

I can find nowhere in the published information from FB - neither on the net nor written material - that certain classes earn less that the 'standard' 100%. Where do I find this info? Perhaps I'm just slow beyond the human average.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
I cannot easily link you to their page since it is using javascripts hard to copy and paste here. However, on AF's French website, you should find it under:

www.airfrance.fr

Voyageurs Fréquents > Flying Blue > Gagner des miles > Billets d'avion Air France, KLM et SkyTeam.

Sorry for quoting french pages but it has been reported several times that AF's non french websites might not be correctly updated...
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: SK-EBD/*A Gold, BA Gold/OW Emerald, HH Gold, ChoiceHotels Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Plat,
I cannot easily link you to their page since it is using javascripts hard to copy and paste here. However, on AF's French website, you should find it under:

www.airfrance.fr

Voyageurs Fréquents > Flying Blue > Gagner des miles > Billets d'avion Air France, KLM et SkyTeam.

Sorry for quoting french pages but it has been reported several times that AF's non french websites might not be correctly updated...

Thanks for your reply. Quite extraordinary - there is no mention of this on the KLM site. Oh well - thanks anyway.

On the up side - at least one earns qualifying segments towards next level.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: FB, HH, EB & Choice
I checked the US and Norwegian sites. Both are updated, and the info is under Flying Blahblah ... Earning miles ... finally the link "Earn Miles with Air France, KLM and SkyTeam airlines".

Jerene
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by travellers4fun
On the up side - at least one earns qualifying segments towards next level.
Are you sure of that? I haven't flown much in N, and have limited success with getting the reduced miles that are due. After a lot of nagging, I believe they finally registered a flight AMS-LUX as follows:

05/15/2005 SPECIAL CLUB BONUS MILES 125

No level miles, no flight segment, just 125 awards miles it looks like.

Jerene
(Stingy Blue? .....rdly Blue? - Any suitable F-word? - I got it! ... Effing Blue)

Last edited by Jerene; Aug 4, 2005 at 10:36 am Reason: pressed the submit button before writing anything
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Jerene
Are you sure of that? I haven't flown much in N, and have limited success with getting the reduced miles that are due.
All my N (intra europe) segments this year have been qualifying. Then it was before FB enforcement date. Now FB says that only AF domestic flights don't count as qualifying.

I believe they finally registered a flight AMS-LUX as follows:

<...>

No level miles, no flight segment, just 125 awards miles it looks like.
Don't you have a 2nd column on your miles list saying which flights are qualifying and which are not?
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: AF Flying Blue Platinum, IC Platinum Ambassador, HH Gold
Are you sure of that? I haven't flown much in N, and have limited success with getting the reduced miles that are due.
I flew CDG - PRG in N two weeks ago and received my 25% of 750 miles status miles + one qualiflying flight.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:04 am

All my N (intra europe) segments this year have been qualifying. Then it was before FB enforcement date. Now FB says that only AF domestic flights don't count as qualifying.
I guess that clears it up - I guess I should keep on nagging FB for the four N segments in May that have not been credited for anything, neither miles nor segments.

The way things are I won't waste more money on stamps until the six month limit is drawing near, and I hope they'll finally have their act together by then.

Don't you have a 2nd column on your miles list saying which flights are qualifying and which are not?
Oh yes.

So, then, the 125 miles are a mystery.

Jerene
(words I don't like: "Ivry-sur-Seine" and "cedex")
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:10 am

(Stingy Blue? .....rdly Blue? - Any suitable F-word? - I got it! ... Effing Blue)
I think 'Flying Blues' is touche' (AF's Danish website even calls it that). Flying Black&Blue also seems appropriate.

Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:14 am

(Warning: totally OT)

(words I don't like: "Ivry-sur-Seine" and "cedex")
CEDEX: Courrier d'Entreprise à Distribution Exceptionnelle.

It means that your letter is very important and that Postman Pat is going to take much care of it. La Poste says it adds credibility to the addressee's address. Did Flying Blue need any additional credibility anyway?
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by hegira
I think 'Flying Blues' is touche' (AF's Danish website even calls it that).
I was intrigued enough to check the Danish website. Alas - no. That would really have been interesting.

Flying Blues should be Danish for Flying Blue's, i.e. no apostrophe (') to mark the genitive -s. The use of this character is a more useful in English, which has a plural -s. The Danish plural is ... definitely off topic.

Jerene
(I'm a linguist. don't get me started )
Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:13 pm

I was intrigued enough to check the Danish website. Alas - no. That would really have been interesting.

Flying Blues should be Danish for Flying Blue's, i.e. no apostrophe (') to mark the genitive -s. The use of this character is a more useful in English, which has a plural -s. The Danish plural is ... definitely off topic.

Jerene
(I'm a linguist. don't get me started )
check this page - flying blues appears about mid-way down the page. freudian slip ??? mauvaise langue ?

http://www.airfrance.dk/double6/DK/i...3?OpenDocument

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.