Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Virgin Silver/Elite not able to reserve seats in Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite

Hi, looking for guidance on this.

I booked HKG to UK flights via AMS and return via PAR in premium economy for my fam inc a 2 month old baby.

I loaded my virgin number in, and have been able to book only some seats, outbound in KLM for me and my partner (who holds status too) but not my 2 year old daughter and 3 seats from AMS to PAR

I can't book seats on other connections and on the return from Paris to HKG

I was told Skyteam elite only allows booking seats in Economy (and not premium economy) , but even this benefit isn't working consistently. KLM Whatsapp CSsaid contact Virgin, Airfrance HK CS said contact flyingblue. There was no real understanding of the specific benefit. Both saying Airfrance had a different policy to KLM.

I really want to reserve bulkheads for the bassinet.

Any ideas how i can resolve this?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I don't think status has anything to do with it, as I'm not aware of any PE fares on AFKL that don't have free seat selection (this isn't BA)

If I had to guess, you're hitting some constraint on placing your 2yo (e.g. it may require a window/middle seat next to an adult on the reservation). How full are the cabins on your flights?

It's also not impossible that the bassinet seats are blocked from selection until gate assignment (I believe there are some airlines that do that in order to minimize needing to move people out of bulkhead seats).
af fp and irishguy28 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:37 pm

If I were in your situation I would try and book the best possible seats, e.g. the second row or 2 rows aisle +window, so you are in a good position to negotiate at check in or onboard when the front row is released.

I agree you do not even need status to book seats in PE so I would ask the Virgin elite line to pick up the phone and call AF and KLM, or ask for a supervisor. If VS really cannot pull that off, call AF and KL yourself since the chat services are not working, be polite, and again ask for a supervisor if not helped. Both airlines help lines should be able to help for both flights. Oh and it may help to bring up the seat maps on all websites, KL, VS, AF or even DL. Sometimes you get lucky there too.

Finally, maybe put an alert for those seats on Expertflyer in case they would be released a few days before check in.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

I booked the ticket via Airfrance HK call centre.

Actually, there is a new PE fare with no seat reservation, which is what they booked me into.

As said, on KLM leg an agent booked me two seats (but not my 2 year old). Airfrance said status does not allow seat reservations for PE. What's driving me crazy is i was able to book 3 seats for free on an Airfrance connecting flight.

As you can sew below, its trying to charge me 156 for 3 seats.

Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party
Hi, looking for guidance on this.
You have likely confused the people you spoke with at the airlines, as you have here, by referring to status and not clearly indicating what you want.

As I understand it, your issue is: you want to secure the bulkhead seats and have a bassinet for your 2-month old.

If I have corectly understood you, then this is all you have to say.

Bassinet seats are blocked for parties with an infant and cannot be selected by anyone - regardless of status - until such time as the airline has not had any specific request from a party with an infant to have a bassinet seat.

You need to contact Air France HK (as that is where you bought the ticket), quote your PNR, and tell them that as you have a 2 month old infant (for whom a ticket was issued - correct?) that you want to reserve a bassinet for the infant.

Please read the page on the Air France HK website about infants and children. Then click on the link in that page to request a bassinet.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 22, 2023 at 2:56 am
Old Mar 22, 2023, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that's useful...KLM allowed this, but Airfrance denied this.

Actually, i understand that Skyteam elite gives me ability to rebook seats for free. So i wanted to book seats on the other European flights too. But it appears skyteam elite does not give free seat booking.
​​​​​​
Old Mar 22, 2023, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, i understand that Skyteam elite gives me ability to rebook seats for free.​​​​​​
That is not correct. There is no "Free Seating" perk for status holders in Skyteam meaning that you are guaranteed your choice of ALL seats without payment; instead you are only given a "Priority Seating" perk which can be interpreted in different ways by the various airlines (i.e. a reduction in the fee when choosing seats on an airline that requires payment for certain seats).

Some airlines that have a particularly close relationship - such as Delta and Virgin already had - may go much further than the alliance requirements and completely waive seating fees for (some) status members of each others' programmes, but let me assure you that neither Delta nor Virgin similarly waive seating fees for Elite Plus members of all other Skyteam FFPs.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks. It's sneaky wording. But i guess now i know. Shame its not clearly outlined on Skyteam and like you say open to interpretation.

That said, I managed to get some seats booked for free anyway on KLM premium economy from HKG and one leg from AMS to PAR. Free seat booking is a nice perk on Virgin and BA/Cathay, but its very weird on AF/KLM
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but its very weird on AF/KLM
You can always select a seat for free on AFKL too. You don't *have* to pay...you can just wait until check-in.

However, that is not really an option for you, given that you want a bassinet.

I would really recommend that you ring Air France and obtain the seats that you want now. Requests for bassinets should be made ASAP after booking (and you should really have asked for this on the call to AF HK when booking the ticket). If you wait until check-in opens when you can select from the remaining seats for free, the likelihood is that somebody else will already have selected the bulkhead seats, if they haven't already been given to another party travelling with an infant. And no, waiting until you are onboard and requesting then to be moved so you can have a bassinet is not a strategy that I would think likely to work; particularly if those seats have already been selected; even more so if those passengers paid extra to select those seats.

I can't advise whether in these circumstances - having an infant and therefore a genuine reason to request the bulkhead seats (to use a bassinet) - that means you can be seated there for free, but my expectation is that you will have to pay, given the fare you have (Premium Standard). However, the seating fee will likely still be less than if you had bought a "Premium Flex" ticket which would correspondingly likely have raised the prices for additional sectors and not just for this particular AF flight.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:54 am
Original Poster

It appears staff can reserve bulkheads for free. That said, staff appear as confused about the policy as me.

I get the fare class, but its a pretty rubbish 15% discount benefit on seat reservations. Doesn't make you feel like loyalty is rewarded.

Last edited by anonymous_third_party; Mar 22, 2023 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What i don't get is what is my 'preferred seating' benefit on Air France?
As a Flying Club Silver member, on VS you still have to pay to select preferred seats in Economy Classic and Premium Economy. As a rough rule of thumb, you should not expect other airlines in the alliance to offer a more generous seat selection/payment policy than your own airline does in your own FFP.

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...hip-tiers.html

Based on the table on this page, VS does not extend any seating privileges to Skyteam Elite and Elite Plus fliers from other Skyteam FFPs.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:22 am
Original Poster

I'm just used to oneworld, with benefits being fairly consistent from my limited experience.

Thank you for the details though, it's really helpful as gonna be using KLM more now.

I got my bulkhead for free on both flights anyway.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just used to oneworld, with benefits being fairly consistent from my limited experience.
Don't forget that oneworld is the alliance where charging to select premium economy and even business class seats is the norm (here's looking at you, BA) - even for some of its own status members up until certain deadlines before departure.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
As a flying blue elite you get free seat selection in AF PE. Without status youll need to fork over about 50 bucks to select a PE seat prior to check in.

Its not clear to me if being an elite from another skyteam programme would also allow free selection. Judging by the issue that the OP is seeing Im guessing not..
littlefish likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
As a flying blue elite you get free seat selection in AF PE. Without status youll need to fork over about 50 bucks to select a PE seat prior to check in.

Its not clear to me if being an elite from another skyteam programme would also allow free selection. Judging by the issue that the OP is seeing Im guessing not..
Yep. You don't. The only benefit is additional luggage allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.