Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Will AF/KL actively cancel double / overlapping bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AF/KL actively cancel double / overlapping bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jkatzen16
Hi - perhaps this is best to post in the general forum, but I'm in almost the exact same predicament you were in and I'm curious of your outcome. I am booked LAX -> AMS -> LYS on an award ticket via KLM, but the event I'm attending has changed and I now need to get to Porto that evening instead. KLM is the only airline that flies direct AMS -> OPO. So, I'd essentially be double booked on KLM: (1) original award ticket AMS -> LYS, and (2) potentially new cash ticket AMS -> OPO. I know airlines don't love the no-show on the final leg of a booking, and I called in to see if they could change it, but it would require building a new award itinerary from scratch (not an option). I'm not checking a bag, so that's one less thing to worry about if I just double book and take the flight from AMS to OPO. Any thoughts appreciated.
I'm not whom you asked the question to, but I have recent experience regarding double booking on the same flight for the same passenger. The FB# was even added to the booking, seats selected, everything. Neither of the bookings was cancelled and stayed normal until I finally decided to cancel one of them. I even spoke to staff at the PSL to actively cancel the original booking (made with points), and they themselves told me that it is not advisable to do so since converting to a one-way reward was far too expensive at that point. Instead they said it was best to keep the revenue return, and reward return, both active. When asked about pro-active cancellation, they said that they do have automatic systems to check for this but those usually only kick in during the first few weeks. If in the first weeks a ticket doesn't get cancelled, then it is unlikely that it will.

So officially, it shouldn't be done. There are systems to detect it but apparently not aggressive. It is highly likely that you will be ok, but it is also possible that one of the bookings ends up being cancelled.

EDIT: Earlier in the year I was on a DEL-CDG-HAM (revenue) flight and needed to change it to DEL-CDG-NUE. There was only one seat available on the CDG-NUE flight, and within what I was ok paying miles for as well. Online change wasn't working, so I bought the ticket in miles to at least hold the seat. Then called the PSL, and was advised to just leave it as is, with DEL-CDG-HAM (revenue) and CDG-NUE (redemption) - while in CDG taking the CDG-NUE flight instead of CDG-HAM. The PSL agent didn't want to cancel my CDG-NUE redemption booking because he was afraid that with just one seat, if he cancelled my flight it might have taken time for inventory to become available again and someone else might have snagged it while we waited. So I flew this way, and all was ok. That said, this is not something I would abuse since it really is not permitted on most fares and I did it in a highly exceptional circumstance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.