Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

If I book a flight but don't board - do I still earn XP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If I book a flight but don't board - do I still earn XP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:07 am

Hi, thought it would make more sense to bump up an older related thread. My itinerary consists of 6 legs and I purposedly count on missing the last leg (early next day connection, no shady itinerary) and travel via different means of transportation at a later date to my final destination. How's it going to affect my 5 out of 6 already flown legs? Will I earn XP and miles? Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:09 am

it won't. you won't receive mies and xp for any flights not flown, but any flights flown will count as normal.
ilegalnyj likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ilegalnyj
How's it going to affect my 5 out of 6 already flown legs?
It won't. Given that your last leg is on the next day, apparently you have an overnight stop someplace ahead of this final flight, and should therefore be able to ask to have your bags short-checked to that location. Beware, however, that you may encounter some resistance with this request.

If you're not checking a bag, you have nothing to worry about though.

Originally Posted by ilegalnyj
Will I earn XP and miles? Thanks!
You will earn XPs and miles for the flown sectors only.
Xandrios and ilegalnyj like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It won't. Given that your last leg is on the next day, apparently you have an overnight stop someplace ahead of this final flight, and should therefore be able to ask to have your bags short-checked to that location. Beware, however, that you may encounter some resistance with this request.

If you're not checking a bag, you have nothing to worry about though.

You will earn XPs and miles for the flown sectors only.
Great to hear. Coincidently I plan on traveling light, no checked luggage, so that helps too.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 4:12 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you are checking in from an airport not served by AFKL (i.e. your first flight is a codeshare) also do not expect this to work. For example when checking in for my KL-coded COPA flight they were unable to do this for my ~16 hour layover in AMS. I did push it quite a bit but they were firm on that it's a technical limitation.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
If you are checking in from an airport not served by AFKL (i.e. your first flight is a codeshare) also do not expect this to work. For example when checking in for my KL-coded COPA flight they were unable to do this for my ~16 hour layover in AMS. I did push it quite a bit but they were firm on that it's a technical limitation.
In general, it can be very, very difficult to convince any airline to short-check a bag even when it's entirely warranted.

I flew SAS recently, from AMS to the US, on a ticket that was in premium economy on the outbound and business on the return as a *G. For the outbound, I had an overnight stop in Copenhagen before departing for the US the following day. I asked for my bag to be short-checked to Copenhagen. The system by default wanted to check it all the way through. Had I not had status and had instead been checking in at the Economy desk, I do not think the check-in agent would have gone to the bother of seeking assistance in overriding the system. It took a while, but eventually the luggage label showing only CPH was forthcoming.

And this was on the outbound, where I was hardly going to abandon my trip in CPH after paying for a PE/J ticket to the US!!!
Xandrios likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.