Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updates to Flying Blue 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by curiousexplorer
True, I wouldn't be too shocked if they increase the XP thresholds for all Elite status levels. It would be more surprising if they simply add benefits without increasing the "cost".
Not saying I'd be surprised, but depends on whether the benefits actually cost them anything. C+ seating for Gold/Silver only costs them if those same Golds and Silvers were paying for the seats before the change. I don't fly nearly as often as many here, but my recent short haul sectors would suggest that they don't - C+ is still available to pay for deep into check-in, but fills up with people who presumably check-in late and have to be seated somewhere. They're not all boarding in Zone 1/2, so aren't late-booking Plats. I suspect the fact that they're introducing this at all points to the seats rarely selling - no idea how different it might be on long haul though. EDIT: which is to say - might as well give them to Golds/Silvers rather than Exporers/Nobodies.

Free stopovers also strikes me as something that probably won't cost them that much, but I'm completely guessing there. Probably most useful for the Leftpondians throwing credit card transferred miles around than it is for actual FB fliers [I'm assuming the nerfing of domestic segments means there aren't many US based FB status members, all told].

Last edited by etiene; Nov 8, 2022 at 4:10 am
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by etiene
C+ seating for Gold/Silver only costs them if those same Golds and Silvers were paying for the seats before the change. I don't fly nearly as often as many here, but my recent short haul sectors would suggest that they don't - C+ is still available to pay for deep into check-in, but fills up with people who presumably check-in late and have to be seated somewhere. They're not all boarding in Zone 1/2, so aren't late-booking Plats. I suspect the fact that they're introducing this at all points to the seats rarely selling - no idea how different it might be on long haul though. EDIT: which is to say - might as well give them to Golds/Silvers rather than Exporers/Nobodies.
Definitely. I think I've answered a few FB surveys where I basically said that I have no interest in paying anything for those short-haul C+ seats as a Gold (as someone who books Business on long haul, but economy on short haul trips), but would appreciate the chance to book them for free close to check in as a 'perk'. The only value that they have to me is that they're slightly closer to front. I'd still take a window or aisle anywhere else on the plane over a C+ middle though, as others have said.

IME, the vast majority of short haul C+ seats go to non-status passengers who haven't chosen a seat in advance of check-in. This is just FB giving away what it can't sell, as you say.
etiene likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by SouthWesterner
IME, the vast majority of short haul C+ seats go to non-status passengers who haven't chosen a seat in advance of check-in. This is just FB giving away what it can't sell, as you say.
Correct when the flight is full. On my last few flights I was lucky to have a whole row for myself. If those seats can be selected for free by gold/silver, the chance of having a row for myself will be close to zero. In case of a B737 no problem, since middle seat probably still will be empty, but on an E190 I wouldn't be happy.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by westi2002
Correct when the flight is full. On my last few flights I was lucky to have a whole row for myself. If those seats can be selected for free by gold/silver, the chance of having a row for myself will be close to zero. In case of a B737 no problem, since middle seat probably still will be empty, but on an E190 I wouldn't be happy.
so when you are gold or silver - would you select a middle seat in the E+ zone rather than a window or aisle seat somewhere else on the plane?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:07 am

With the new stop-over policy it will for sure be a benefit to me!
As it has been for years, I have had to connect for my TATL commute from CPH. To be able utilise that, at times annoying connection for a visit is absolutely great. Add to that when it is paired with the new prices of TATL rewards in Y it could be a great opportunity for me to invite the whole Qubcoise part of the family for a Paris and Denmark vacation.

Good stuff!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

On the upgrade to the EC+ seats, I think that they should remove Silver from the equation. For Gold, I am ok with it - since very often in my experience, on a full flight, because for whatever reasons, for the connecting flights, especially Short-Mid haul flights - they get filled with very obvious non-FF.
Even now - at some outstation - if you ask nicely at the check-in counter (especially managed by 3rd parties) as a Gold, you do get assigned these EC+ seats.
So I do welcome this move.

Cheers!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:36 am

I do see a problem with last minute/short notice equipment change. It will be first come first serve for the good seats as Silver/Gold/Plat will all be eligible, potentially leaving Plat with the short end of the stick.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
On the upgrade to the EC+ seats, I think that they should remove Silver from the equation. For Gold, I am ok with it - since very often in my experience, on a full flight, because for whatever reasons, for the connecting flights, especially Short-Mid haul flights - they get filled with very obvious non-FF.
Even now - at some outstation - if you ask nicely at the check-in counter (especially managed by 3rd parties) as a Gold, you do get assigned these EC+ seats.
So I do welcome this move.

Cheers!
They presumably have a decent idea of the number of fliers in each group to better predict how this dynamic will play out than our guesses here. I think the staggered approach is reasonable [I expect to move to Gold around Easter time]. The question is always going to be guessing whether the plane will end up full as to whether to move up when C+ opens up. I doubt huge numbers of Golds/Silvers are going to choose C+ middles over the window/aisle they could have further back, but a seat-blocking algorithm could be employed to preserve space next to Plats [and Golds] - don't know if AFKL use one currently?

My wife's flight tonight on an Embraer has gone from ~9 C+ occupied at T-24 to 21/24 now - only one other empty seat on the plane. As a Gold she's still being asked for 8 to move into C+ though, despite them having given away 10+ seats - so the rationale is pretty clear.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
Does anybody have any guesses or insights into what these new Platinum benefits are likely to be? Ben sounded like they are taking seriously the need to make more of a distinction between Platinum and Gold?
curiousexplorer likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:27 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
These have not been announced, and since he wasn't able to give a precise timeframe either (Somewhere between a few months and a year) I'm guessing they themselves do not know all the details yet either.

Personally, especially in light of the other changes, I'd very much welcome a published (and automated) seat blocking policy. That'd be very valuable for Plat pax, and cost pretty much nothing for the airline.
Fabo.sk, lynxy and Wil973 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
Originally Posted by Xandrios
These have not been announced, and since he wasn't able to give a precise timeframe either (Somewhere between a few months and a year) I'm guessing they themselves do not know all the details yet either.

Personally, especially in light of the other changes, I'd very much welcome a published (and automated) seat blocking policy. That'd be very valuable for Plat pax, and cost pretty much nothing for the airline.
Yeah, that would be fantastic and certainly make me feel like Platinum was worthing continuing to maintain.

I would love if we would get some equivalent of Delta's Choice Benefits - maybe selecting between upgrade certificates, status gifting, travel voucher, extra lounge access etc.. I'm sure this is completely wishful thinking but that would really make it feel like a premium tier. Maybe I'm just describing Ultimate
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Being able to gift STE+ would make me very heavily consider pushing for Plat
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:35 am

I know I'm dreaming but a upgrade voucher for plats would be great.
Guess US credit card holders can live with a little less inventory
cdg_dxb likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Stil
I know I'm dreaming but a upgrade voucher for plats would be great.
Guess US credit card holders can live with a little less inventory
FT will need to upgrade their servers in order to host all the whining...!
fifty_two and Wil973 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by etiene
FT will need to upgrade their servers in order to host all the whining...!
That's what FT is about, grown men whining and the occasionally sound advice.

So welcome to the club, the entrance fee is escalating in first world problems from the safe and secluded space of 1A...!
(this post may contain a bit of friendly sarcasm)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.