Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Platinum Effect

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Overall I'd recommend Ben Lipsey or whoever is following these forums to stop doing those surprise pamperings when people get promoted a level. It's not a good idea at all because you create this expectation that something exceptional is happening, something that won't repeat itself, or at least not consistently. At least be honest about it and just instruct the FAs to congratulate us on the new level, so we know why it's happening.
Actually what could work here would be quite simple: instead of random pamperings, it could be easier to simply offer a "welcome gift" (certificate, special card, KLM house, or even some special nice creative tokens created for this purpose by the creative people from AFKL + J drinks/dessert or small bottle of champagne or chocolate) congratulating the member for reaching the milestone, clearly specifying the reason and indirectly sending the message that it's a one-off and the next one would be when you reach the next level. There could also be some standard ones depending on the level, which could change every 2-3 years.

For Ulti it would be nice to have a special edition KLM house which is only awarded to Ulti members. For Platinum that year's KLM house could do. And for Gold/Silver maybe some handmade stuff in partnership with an NGO or social business from one of the communities KLM is supporting with its nonprofit arm.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I feel we should be encouraging more pampering, and make it formal. Certainly 4 free upgrade vouchers on a milestone such as reaching PFL would be more than reasonable. It's a once in a lifetime milestone. Actions speak louder than words on a card.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by harpu4
MAD-AMS op up into biz - first time in 8 years as a plat...second time ever

flight was oversold
I had my fourth op-up to eurobiz on cityhopper yesterday. Not lifetime, but this calendar year. Not sure what is going on...
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dkeng
I had my fourth op-up to eurobiz on cityhopper yesterday. Not lifetime, but this calendar year. Not sure what is going on...
Evidently, flights being oversold a lot
dkeng and harpu4 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
Celebrating getting my 2nd anniversary of platinum now, with 2 more in the bank. 🥳

In the end I only got "ultra special recognition" on that one flight after being promoted. The rest was a mixed of bag, of mostly excellent service, but never anything really personalized, whether in J or in Y. Looks like I should fly Y long haul more often as most of you reported the extra attention there.

My favorite kind of cabin service is when they check frequently to top up my drinks, and my water, since I'm a very thirsty person! This is hit and miss with AFKL but when asking I have never been told no, not even in Y. This is a lot more important to me than getting a personalized greeting card or something. The highlight of these 2 years was when on CDG-TRN the CA left the whole bottle of champagne on the empty tray next to me, for 5 minutes... until they realized it was probably not a very safe thing. The lowlight was when everyone in the J cabin got PDB water but they skipped me... and I was really thirsty (I've written about it on this thread at some point).

Overall I'd recommend Ben Lipsey or whoever is following these forums to stop doing those surprise pamperings when people get promoted a level. It's not a good idea at all because you create this expectation that something exceptional is happening, something that won't repeat itself, or at least not consistently. At least be honest about it and just instruct the FAs to congratulate us on the new level, so we know why it's happening.

I have flown LH group a lot less in that period but somehow I always get greeted by name, and find them generally more attentive. I have no idea why this is happening given that many ppl in LH forums seem to complain... Maybe it's just a coincidence.

I'm doing my first long haul with One World in over a dozen years next month, so looking forward for yet another data point. Completely status-less so no seat selection until check-in.
I would say let’s be careful what you wish for. Not sure we should ever be asking them to do less!!

I know everyone has a different experience but I find I’m consistently offered small gestures on my flights, and it’s one of the few things that distinguishes platinum from gold. Could it be better? Yes. Would I miss it if it stopped? Certainly.
frec63_ft and HalconBCN like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:48 am

Evidently, flights being oversold a lot
Yes, indeed! But not sure hy that would be different for the last few months.

I think BRS will be seeing more 190s rather than the 175s from the summer timetable, so my luck could be about to turn.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by dkeng
I think BRS will be seeing more 190s rather than the 175s from the summer timetable, so my luck could be about to turn.
Well so much for that theory. Upgraded again today. This one quite peculiar - saw it in the app already several hours before takeoff (before I even boarded the first segment, upgrade was on the second). And I saw several open seats in economy once onboard.

Obviously not complaining about all these Wanderboxes I get to consume (even in part sometimes), but can't help but wonder what this "special attention" other people seem to be getting feels like - perhaps I need to fly more long haul or more AF for that.
MichielR and curiousexplorer like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 6:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Interesting experience just now. Received a proactive/cold call from AF asking if I would want to upgrade tomorrows KL ATH flight with miles. Was told it’s an offer for Platinum members at 14K. Decided to decline as the flight seems to have a fairly light load and at T-24 still 2 rows of comfort are fully available for selection.

During olci the same upgrade was offered at 250 euros.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
Flight 16th. march AMS-CDG in Business on AF. Nothing. Only another passenger was being greeted personal.
Later on CDG-BOG in Business. Nothing. Not even asked first for meal, which I on all long haul flights with AF ever had.
04.th April CTG-AMS in Business. Again absolutely nothing. Not even addressed by name. Ok, on KL I never had any special treatment.

Looks like that since Ultimate is a new status, special treatment of Platinums has gone.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:04 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by JorgeGomez

Looks like that since Ultimate is a new status, special treatment of Platinums has gone.
Exactly my thoughts & experience over the last 12-15 months. I believe the positive experiences reported in this thread are outliers/exceptions.
saraoutou and Billyfergus like this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
VIE-CDG-FCO and FCO-CDG-PRG this week in J, nothing special, no recognition, very ordinary flights. Missed connection at CDG and had to stay overnight, booked myself Sheraton and it was paid back to me within moments I claimed it however fight for EU compensation will go on.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:40 am

The platinum line came through for me big time today. An interesting adventure this morning flying BRS-BRS due to a slats problem only realised in flight. Unresolvable on the ground in the short term so flight canceled. Options were very scarce for same day travel but the nice PSL agent told me she got me the last seat on the plane for the next departure. I didn't realise until afterwards that the last seat was in row 1 - on both segments.

Will be a 10 hour delay in the end for me, but I get there today. Very impressive service recovery - less good for Swissport at BRS, who really don't deal with this sort of thing well at all.
MichielR, the810, AnaTFN and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Hilton Diamond, Sixt Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by 747jetter
VIE-CDG-FCO and FCO-CDG-PRG this week in J, nothing special, no recognition, very ordinary flights. Missed connection at CDG and had to stay overnight, booked myself Sheraton and it was paid back to me within moments I claimed it however fight for EU compensation will go on.
I don’t think there is much more service you can get as Platinum above the service that should normally be provided at J/C level anyway. Does a call-out of your name really make a difference/be that necessary when already getting the food, drink and front of the plane seat that comes with J? Even SkyPriority boarding is higher in J (zone 1) versus platinum boarding which is zone 2. And on intra-EU flights usually zone 1 and 2 are combined into same lane/zone.

Platinum status is really only meaningfully different when not flying J/C (looking purely from a service point of view).
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:59 pm
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DuyT
I don’t think there is much more service you can get as Platinum above the service that should normally be provided at J/C level anyway.

Platinum status is really only meaningfully different when not flying J/C (looking purely from a service point of view).
Agreed, but a huge part of elite status is the guarantee (hope, actually) of getting superior treatment when it comes to IRROPS, which can be very frustrating. The 3 US legacy carriers seem to treat their high-end elites (elite level 3 and above) much better when it comes to IRROPS, generally speaking. Of course, there are tons of issues when it comes to other aspects of their FFPs, but that's the topic of another conversation.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:03 pm
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JorgeGomez

Well, hopefully Ultimates are starting to get better proper treatment and recognition, otherwise, what's the point of officially making Ulti into it's own special tier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.