Wiki Posts
Search

Tips on upgrading to business class for AF

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Tips on upgrading to business class for AF

Hello All,

I had some questions regarding upgrading my economy to business class. I have done some research on this website however still wanted some clarifications.

I am flying with 3 others from JFK - CDG - DXB at the end of this year via AF and we have currently economy tickets. I would like to see if I can upgrade one or two legs of the trip to business class as the family and I have never flown business before. I have been checking the AF website and the upgrade to business class option comes up, however each time I click it, the website glitches and the web page crashes. I just wanted to get your input into the feasibility and possible costs of an upgrade.
When do seats open up for an upgrade? Is the website being glitchy just because it's too early for me to upgrade? Do upgrades prices change as the flight date nears?
What is the average cost/leg for an upgrade in points/cash. I do not have status with AF. I was planning to open the Flying Blue credit card which gives 50K points and also have AMEX MR points. If I apply now, I can certainly meet the minimum spend in time to get the bonus miles. If it take lots of miles both the wife and I can open up cards.
Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Hi

no need to create a new thread for that , there is one dedicated for this topic

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

long story short = prices are dynamic (depends on a lot of factors and we dont know all of them) and rates increased over the years , so credit cards might help but dont count on it if you travel with family .

AF can make you offers during online checkin or at luggage drop off or you can go to counters and ask or even in the plane before take off , you can pay with miles and/or cash

the rest can be discussed in the thread i mentionned

Last edited by fifty_two; Aug 5, 2021 at 8:40 am
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Hi

no need to create a new thread for that , there is one dedicated for this topic

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

long story short = prices are dynamic (depends on a lot of factors and we dont know all of them) and rates increased over the years , so credit cards might help but dont count on it if you travel with family .

AF can make you offers during online checkin or at luggage drop off or you can go to counters and ask or even in the plane before take off , you can pay with miles and/or cash

the rest can be discussed in the thread i mentionned
Thank you for the reply. I had missed that thread upon my research. Will review it.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by monu58
Thank you for the reply. I had missed that thread upon my research. Will review it.
and if you want to upgrade with miles , please check also here = New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017
monu58 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Basically, you can upgrade with FB miles in advance if there is inventory in the appropriate upgrade class (O). If it is possible, you should see this option in your booking on AF website. The site is full of glitches at the moment, so do not hesitate to call FB to do it. But of course, you need FB miles in the bank and a significant amount likely. Upgrade with miles from Y to J is usually poor value for money.
The other possibility will be a paid upgrade (cash) at OLCI or at the airport on the day of departure. Impossible to give you a price as it is dynamic as said by fifty-two. Note that paid upgrade at OLCI will have to be processed (and paid) separately for JFK-CDG and CDG-DXB (I mean you may upgrade one or the 2 legs if availability, 2 legs will cost more than one.)
I can tell you already that upgrading 4 people will cost a lot.
monu58 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:17 am

I have done paid upgrades from P to J many, many times on AF. Either during checkin or at the airport. Prices are pretty much unpredictable. It’s been as low as 300 euros for a FR-US flight and as high as 600-700 for the same routes. Nowadays I m lucky enough to book in J directly but I always appreciated AF’s openness to paid upgrades.
monu58 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips all.
I will continue checking and reading. I will post on the OLCI thread once I know what I have been offered.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by FabCW
I have done paid upgrades from P to J many, many times on AF.
Really ?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Really ?
I'm sure if you offered anything to AF they'd happily oblige with that "upgrade"
johan rebel and Carel1 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Really ?
Originally Posted by Solevita
I'm sure if you offered anything to AF they'd happily oblige with that "upgrade"
I figure the gentleman means PE, but the idea of coming to a check in desk and saying you want to pay to not fly in La Premiere is interesting indeed.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I figure the gentleman means PE, but the idea of coming to a check in desk and saying you want to pay to not fly in La Premiere is interesting indeed.
No, I think he meant J to P. There is no paid upgrade W to P.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
No, I think he meant J to P. There is no paid upgrade W to P.
W to P no, but W(PE) to J yes.

Do note also the price range (300-700) which is too low for a P upgrade, and the fact he notes that nowadays he books in J directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.