Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue Air Europa Business problem

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: klm
Flying Blue Air Europa Business problem

Just a heads up as I was not aware of it.
Travel office booked a Business flight on Air Europa using my Flying Blue Platinum details.
Just found out today that a business class ticket is NOT eligible for XP or Miles.
I was the only person in Business on the flight .

Seems Flying Blue are not even consistent
Old Nov 4, 2020, 2:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by adutchuser
Just a heads up as I was not aware of it.
Seems Flying Blue are not even consistent
Hello

flying blue is more or less consistent , it is just that you do not know the rules

it is your responsibility to check such details before booking

https://www.flyingblue.pl/en/partner...a/presentation

Air Europa does not use flying blue anymore , they have their own program called Suma , so they are free to decide which bookings can get rewarded or not

Before validation of booking , you need to check the booking class

what is the booking class you see on the booking confirmation and on the boarding pass ?? is this flight a code share ?? what is the route ?? did you mixe economy and business ???

Travel office booked a flight
thats probably the reason why . Travel agencies (online or physical) usually have access to fares which are not available through direct bookings as Mr or Ms Smith going to airline's website . These fares and combinations usually means different rules therefore different booking classes

It often happen if you do an open-jaw , or if you mix airlines and/or classes

if the booking class is not one of these , then you wont earn anything
  • Business Cabin––J, C, D, I: 100%
Advice = next time , if you have access to the travel website of your company , or if you give orders to a travel agency , ask to get a booking confirmation before purchase , check the booking classes , if it doesnt match anything on the flying blue website , call them immediately and ask the agent to do the needful and find something which match your needs

Last edited by fifty_two; Nov 4, 2020 at 3:16 am
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: klm
You may be right
But in the Flying blue app Boarding pass and flight details it stated eligible.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
He's probably in O-class. That happened to me and I managed to change it ... at a cost. But there was only about 30-40 Euros difference to I-class as I remember. It reminds me of how Flying Blue was after their previous big change, back in mid-2000s. It became such a nightmare dealing with the classes, along with unwilling and uncomprehending phone agents, that I just took my business elsewhere.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

You may be right
Hello, there is no flying blue app , but you are probably using the KLM app , and the booking was visible there because Air Europa was using flying blue , before creating their own FFP (Suma) , so thats why there is still a good technical integration between these two airlines .

But if you book aeroflot or aeromexico , your booking will most probably not appear in the KLM or Airfrance app

Keep in mind that it is just an app , and is not always aware of all details and relationships between airlines and frequent flyer programs

on the website or app , if you check the booking details , you will see what you "might" receive (miles and xp) but it does not mean it will be granted

what is the booking class you see on the booking confirmation and on the boarding pass ?? is this flight a code share ?? what is the route ?? did you mixe economy and business ???

the boarding pass never state that a booking is eligible for xp and miles

So , as i said , it is your responsibility to check such details before and after booking , to avoid any problems , just few minutes of your time can save you from troubles , and in case something is not clear , you can always come here ask questions before/after purchase , we will be very happy to help

Last edited by fifty_two; Nov 4, 2020 at 5:09 am
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Sorry, I have just reread your OP and seen that you have already taken the flight. Otherwise, I would have said that it's worth spending the money to make the change and upgrade to the next fare bucket.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: FB Platinium, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
To have access to the booking class at Air Europa is sometimes a real pain point. The very last time I used them (1 year ago) I need to chat online with their customer support as neither the website during the booking nor any email received after booking shown me booking class.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You may be right
Neither the app nor the boarding pass shows you whether a flight is eligible for earning Flying Blue miles. They show you valid bookings and boarding passes - they state nothing regarding whether and if you will earn miles or XPs. Just because a booking/boarding pass shows up on the app, or just because you can generate a boarding pass using either the KLM or AF apps, does not mean you are guaranteed to earn miles or XPs.

(If the flight was booked with an AF or KL flight number, rather than as a UX flight number, it would earn miles and XPs)

Unfortunately, the days of being able to "rely" on a business class flight earning miles is no more. And not only in Flying Blue - it's a feature of many programmes now, particularly in Star Alliance!

To be sure of earning miles, and if you are not booking flights with AF or KL flight codes (which are always guaranteed to earn miles and XPs, regardless of who actually operates the flight), you need to know what fare basis each sector is booking into - which is not always easy to verify, depending on the manner you choose to book the ticket - and then check the earning table which for Flying Blue earnings on UX is here. Non-listed fare bases do not earn any miles.

That "O" business class fares on Air Europa don't earn on Flying Blue has been known for some time: Air Europa - O Class

"O" business class fares on Air Europa earn nothing in any Skyteam programme except for Air Europa's own "Suma" programme
Old Nov 6, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
With UX, unless things have changed, you must first book (and not purchase), then call CS.

They will be able to tell you what the booking class is. You can change it on the phone if you wish.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 10:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carnarvon
With UX, unless things have changed
it changed , now you can clearly find this information during the booking process

But keep in mind that OP booked through corporate travel agency , so he probably received the booking confirmations from travel agency's GDS with booking classes but was not aware of FB policies

Last edited by fifty_two; Nov 6, 2020 at 5:45 pm
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by fifty_two
it changed , now you can clearly find this information during the booking process (...)
Good news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.