Search

Plat for life

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Plat for life

Morning,

Please be gentle with me as im sure this will have been asked before,

From memory i qualified as a Plat member November 2013 and my counter is currently showing 7yrs and 560xp, when i hit the 600xp will that make me a virtual Plat for life? and do i have to wait for the years to pass so to speak?

thanks
Paul
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You have to wait for the years to pass. I'm in a similar situation: 5 yrs and 2100xps - and I still have to wait ;-)
Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tonic27
Morning,

Please be gentle with me as im sure this will have been asked before,

From memory i qualified as a Plat member November 2013 and my counter is currently showing 7yrs and 560xp, when i hit the 600xp will that make me a virtual Plat for life? and do i have to wait for the years to pass so to speak?

thanks
Paul
You cannot become platinum for life before November 2023 at the earliest.

Based on what you have written, you will fall 1 year (300 XP) short of Platinum for life. The 600XP you are aiming for will only get you to Years 8 & 9 of Platinum. You need to get to, and complete, Year 10 as well.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andy82
You have to wait for the years to pass. I'm in a similar situation: 5 yrs and 2100xps - and I still have to wait ;-)
It's a shame they don't recognize when a person has enough to make the grade.

By my calculations am I correct in saying I will be a virtual plat when I hit the 600xp ??
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You cannot become platinum for life before November 2023 at the earliest.

Based on what you have written, you will fall 1 year (300 XP) short of Platinum for life. The 600XP you are aiming for will only get you to Years 8 & 9 of Platinum. You need to get to, and complete, Year 10 as well.
Please excuse my ignorance non this but I was of the understanding the year in which a person qualified was counted as year 1 ? But I'm open to being corrected.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please excuse my ignorance non this but I was of the understanding the year in which a person qualified was counted as year 1 ? But I'm open to being corrected.
Based on what you wrote, your "Year 1" started in November 2013; hence your first year was Nov2013-Nov2014.
Assuming you haven't dropped down from Platinum at any time - the 10 years must be consecutive - you would now be in "Year 7", Nov19-Nov20.
Let's assume you get your current 560XP up to 600XP this year. That 600XP will be reduced to 300XP in November, when you qualify for "Year 8" which runs from Nov20-Nov21
That 300XP will then further qualify you for "Year 9" in November of next year, and your "Year 9" runs from Nov21-Nov22. As things stand, you would then go into your "Year 9" with no rollover XPs.

As such, you fail to qualify for a 10th consecutive year of Platinum and fail to make Platinum for Life under this strategy, as you only have enough XPs (well, you are even still 40XP short) to obtain 9 years of consecutive platinum.

You are still one year/300XP short of qualifying for Platinum for Life.
hhdl likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From memory i qualified as a Plat member November 2013
Note that back then the qualification years were aligned to the calendar year. It was only in April 2018, under the "new" FB rules, that the qualification year started immediately upon going up a level.

As such, if you first crossed the threshold for Platinum in November 2013, you would have had an instant upgrade to Platinum, but your first year of Platinum would only have commenced on 1 January 2014. Your membership year should still be aligned to the calendar year.

What, exactly, does your profile say?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
I've recently called KLM with a similar question and I can second irishguy28 's information.

It's a shame they don't recognize when a person has enough to make the grade.
Well, they actually recognize when you make the grade, but keep in mind that the 'grade' is 10 consecutive years of platinum, not a certain amount of XPs. At this moment, a deduction of 300 XP on your qualification date grants you 1 of those 10 years and it happens once per year, but you cannot just assume that having 3000 XP right now means you'll have the next 10 years of platinum or plat4life. Anything could change at Flying Blue, including qualification criteria. If you have some leftover XPs all these are, are leftover XPs, no future vouchers for any status renewal..
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:02 am
Original Poster

thanks for the clarification, i have a few trips to Tanzania to do this year, (just returned on sunday) so i "should" have plenty of time to make the extra xp required

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.