Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizens OK to fly to France via Netherlands?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by irishguy28
It doesn't matter what route you take, i.e. direct non-stop; a single transfer; or as many transfers as you physically can force on to the ticket; the Schengen states are currently closed to US citizens travelling for non-essential purposes.

You will be turned away at whatever point you attempt to enter the Schengen zone, whether as your final destination (i.e. attempting to fly direct US-France) or whether as a transfer point (i.e. US-AMS-CDG; you will be turned away at AMS)

You may transfer at AMS only when you are en-route to other non-Schengen states, i.e. US-AMS-UK, as in these cases you do not need to enter Schengen.

You cannot "transfer" at AMS if that "transfer" involves entering the Schengen zone - and taking a flight to France or any other Schengen state involves entering the Schengen zone.

France only allowed non-essential entry to EU nationals (excluding Spain and the UK, which though no longer an EU member state is still in the Brexit transition period) earlier this week; it will take a little while more before 3rd country nationals will be allowed non-essential entry to France. It could take some considerable time yet before the US and EU relax their bans on each other's citizens, so keep that in mind.
Is this the same for CDG? Trying to get a non-shengen country, and the option is to either transit in AMS or CDG.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Is this the same for CDG? Trying to get a non-shengen country, and the option is to either transit in AMS or CDG.
going non-Schengen to non-Schengen, you can transit either in CDG or AMS, providing you are eligible to enter the country of your final destination.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Goldorak
going non-Schengen to non-Schengen, you can transit either in CDG or AMS, providing you are eligible to enter the country of your final destination.
Thank you! Just worried AF would make me transit terminals, but if they keep all their non-Schengen flights in one area that would be perfect. Edit: Will go through AMS, CDG requires negative PCR test, even for transiting US passengers.

Last edited by YoungSoloTraveler; Aug 30, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.