Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizens OK to fly to France via Netherlands?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Just to make clear for everyone in case some believe there is a loophole in the system and that it is possible to fly let’s say US-Portugal and then Portugal-France : France has reinstated total passport control on arrival for Schengen flights. So even if one managed to enter Schengen, he/she’s not in France yet.
To give you an example : tonight, I arrived in CDG 2F2 on a domestic flight The usual exit to baggage claim was closed and everyone was directed to the exit you use arriving in 2F1. I was sure about the reason for this : passport control was in place and due to the still relatively low traffic, they open only one exit. In our case showing BP of a domestic flight, the ADP agent let us go directly to bag claim without having to go in line for the control. This passport control on arrival from Schengen is in place since the beginning of travel restrictions and I am sure it will remain until all restrictions are lifted.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by brunos
Sorry, but I don't see what you mean. Any EU national can enter the Netherlands. Quarantine is another issue
Just like France is a complicated example, technically Bonaire in the Netherlands isn’t open to other EU nationals either.

So, rather pedantic to raise different parts of France (indeed French Polynesia is opening to Americans in July) but i guess valid
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Just to make clear for everyone in case some believe there is a loophole in the system and that it is possible to fly let’s say US-Portugal and then Portugal-France : France has reinstated total passport control on arrival for Schengen flights. So even if one managed to enter Schengen, he/she’s not in France yet.
To give you an example : tonight, I arrived in CDG 2F2 on a domestic flight The usual exit to baggage claim was closed and everyone was directed to the exit you use arriving in 2F1. I was sure about the reason for this : passport control was in place and due to the still relatively low traffic, they open only one exit. In our case showing BP of a domestic flight, the ADP agent let us go directly to bag claim without having to go in line for the control. This passport control on arrival from Schengen is in place since the beginning of travel restrictions and I am sure it will remain until all restrictions are lifted.
To be fair, this was partly in place before Covid. France had already legally suspended Schengen and they were sending selected flights (generally “Southern”/ “Eastern” countries) through to non-Schengen passport control. Not a surprise they’ve since intensified it.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
That definitely makes things complicated, if someone is already in a Schengen member state, would he then be denied entry if he only holds a non-EU passport?
As per Timatic there should be no issue there.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Already pointed out a few times
Old Jun 22, 2020, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ditto
That definitely makes things complicated, if someone is already in a Schengen member state, would he then be denied entry if he only holds a non-EU passport?
As per Timatic there should be no issue there.
There are plenty of inter-country Schengen border checks, at airports and on the roads. If you choose to fly/drive into a country where you are not permitted to enter (based on your passport/residency), you will either be turned away, deported, fined, or blocked from future entry (or a combination of those).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sch7458
Wait, you have a titre de séjour? If yes, that makes the situation completely different. You can enter France any time you want.
No, I haven't gotten my papers in order for 2020, and didn't for 2019. I could easily get it processed IF the embassy was open and processing but they are not. I am going to see if it's possible to do it on an expedited basis before departure but knowing France I am not hopeful.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
To be fair, this was partly in place before Covid. France had already legally suspended Schengen and they were sending selected flights (generally “Southern”/ “Eastern” countries) through to non-Schengen passport control. Not a surprise they’ve since intensified it.
Yes, correct. But before, you would not be turned away because you are a non-Schengen citizen. Now, it is possible.
And before it was just "sometimes", while now I believe there is 100% control for each flights.
EuropeanPete and tecate55 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Are you a government minister? If not, we don't really need your opinion since it's not worth anything. Still no release of who will be allowed July 1. It's possible Americans will be.
The whole point of FT is a bunch of neophytes giving their opinion. Did you not know this?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

So using Timatic, if I enter a US-UK flight with US passport, Timatic says ok.

If I enter UK-Spain/Netherlands/Germany with US passport, Timatic says OK.

If I do the above using the UK as a transit country, Timatic says no.

So, assuming airlines use Timatic to determine boarding eligibility, it seems as if I booked a ticket US-UK, and a separate ticket UK-Spain/Netherlands/Germany, as long as I passed through passport control in the UK, I could then depart the UK on a flight to Spain/Netherlands/Germany.

I believe the intent is to allow US citizens who are residing in the UK to be able to travel to the EU (why else would Timatic say OK?).

And the most recent EU guidance refers to place of residence vs.nationality as to who they're letting in (if you're an American residing in Thailand, it's my understanding you can travel to the EU)(how you would prove that and to whom I have no idea)(https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...ird-countries/)

I understand the UK has a self-isolation policy (https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avel-to-the-uk), but if I just spent a night at an airport hotel, that seems to be within the rules ("If you are travelling to the UK for less than 14 days, you will be expected to self-isolate for the length of your stay.")

I'm definitely a neophyte in regards to how airlines determine whether or not to let you on a flight, so welcome any help. I understand there could be issues once arriving in an EU country with an American passport after having only spent a night in the UK, And I understand the intent of the EU rules is to not let in US citizens residing in the US, but just trying to figure out if the rule book (timatic) allows it, would an airline? Or do they have other information they rely on that supersedes Timatic?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jchock1

So, assuming airlines use Timatic to determine boarding eligibility, it seems as if I booked a ticket US-UK, and a separate ticket UK-Spain/Netherlands/Germany, as long as I passed through passport control in the UK, I could then depart the UK on a flight to Spain/Netherlands/Germany.

I believe the intent is to allow US citizens who are residing in the UK to be able to travel to the EU (why else would Timatic say OK?).

And the most recent EU guidance refers to place of residence vs.nationality as to who they're letting in (if you're an American residing in Thailand, it's my understanding you can travel to the EU)(how you would prove that and to whom I have no idea)(https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...ird-countries/)

I understand the UK has a self-isolation policy (https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avel-to-the-uk), but if I just spent a night at an airport hotel, that seems to be within the rules ("If you are travelling to the UK for less than 14 days, you will be expected to self-isolate for the length of your stay.")

I'm definitely a neophyte in regards to how airlines determine whether or not to let you on a flight, so welcome any help. I understand there could be issues once arriving in an EU country with an American passport after having only spent a night in the UK, And I understand the intent of the EU rules is to not let in US citizens residing in the US, but just trying to figure out if the rule book (timatic) allows it, would an airline? Or do they have other information they rely on that supersedes Timatic?
This won't work so don't attempt it. You'll get to the UK and they will ask whether the UK is your final destination. If yes, they will take all your details and subject you to the mandatory quarantine (with a 1000 quid penalty if you're not where you say you're going to be when they check on you). If you say you are traveling onward to an EU country on a separate ticket, they will deny you entry and send you home because you won't have the right to enter the EU. That's why Timatic says "no" when using the UK as a transit country. To travel UK-Spain/Netherlands/Germany with only a US passport you need to also have a European residence permit, and that's probably what Timatic is assuming. Tricking Timatic is not the same as tricking an immigration agent though.

I am attempting travel to the EU from the US next week on a UK passport, and even I'm slightly nervous about it due to the grey area created by these restrictions. But what you're suggesting isn't in the grey area, it's clearly not permitted.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by Billy Mumphrey; Jul 1, 2020 at 7:57 pm
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The flaw in all of this that passport or residency should not matter in any of this. The only thing that matters is which countries you have visited in the last 14 days. Unfortunately that's hard to check on.

Some countries have implemented a system like this, albeit with minimal verification. When entering Greece one has to fill a digital form 48h out which includes the question which countries you have visited. Based on your answers you will, or will not, get a COVID test upon arrival. So theoretically pax with a US passport not having been in the US for 14 days, should be able to enter Greece - possibly even without any testing taking place.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think that this is a case of not seeing the wood for the trees!

The issue is not one of whether or not you can convince an airline to allow you to board, or whether you can force Timatic to give you a green light if only you come up with a clever routing. You must know that, without an EU passport or residence permit, or nationality of one of the 15 green-listed countries, you MUST be turned away by immigration officers whenever and wherever you present yourself for admittance to the Schengen states. Any of the other exceptions that would allow you entry require a high standard of proof that you won't be able to provide (you have never alluded to any "essential" reason for travel, for instance).

To keep shadow-boxing around the issue of airlines, routing strategies and Timatic reports is to completely miss the only point that actually matters here. And that point is clear and irrefutable.

As a US passport holder, one who is normally resident in the US, and one who is currently in the US, you are not allowed to enter the Schengen states at the moment. It is immaterial how you get from the US to the EU - you will be refused at some point along the way, regardless of what any individual airline says and regardless of what your interactions with Timatic may have indicated. There are no loopholes to be exploited, and no way of manipulating Timatic to provide an acceptable answer, because when you attempt to enter the Schengen zone (assuming you managed to convince an airline into letting you get that far) you will be refused.

Please accept that, unless your travel is essential, which will require you to provide documentary evidence and which then may not be sufficient to actually convince the immigration officer - this is all new so there are no set/fixed guidelines as to what would be an acceptable standard of proof - you simply cannot enter any Schengen state now, or for the foreseeable future.

I would advise you to postpone your plans for this trip to the fall or even to next year.
mlin32 likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 2, 2020 at 2:05 am
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: FB Gold
At the OP : please, it's not hard. Unless you're a EU citizen or permanent resident, stay out of the EU for the time being. Don't game the system, come up with convoluted transit schemes via different countries, or look for legal loopholes. Just postpone the trip until late autumn or next year !
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:56 am
Suspended

The EU is closed toi US citizens who don't reside here, currently. No amount of convoluted entry mechanics will change that. You probably also don't have any travel or medical insurance when you are here. And if you are deported from the EU, your chances of getting in again are a bit tricky!
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.