Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

FB Amex 2nd Plat card status when main account holder is plat for life...

FB Amex 2nd Plat card status when main account holder is plat for life...

Old Oct 29, 19, 11:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jnb
Programs: FB plat
Posts: 61
FB Amex 2nd Plat card status when main account holder is plat for life...

greets. just received our platinum fb amex cards. At the same time I was credited 60Xp welcome bonus, which brings my total xp for the year to 749 so far.. I have been plat for the past 8 years, so I am pretty confident that unless rules change the rollover makes me Plat for life.
My partner (the second card on the account) was 2 xp from gold, saw her FB account credited promotionally up to 300 xp's, subsequently debited , and given a Platinum FB status valid till 2021.
My question is simple: will she retain that status once I am officially ( and not de facto) plat for life??

cheers
africanfrog is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: FB platinum
Posts: 152
If you are platinum for life and keep the Amex Platinum card as well, then you can still give Platinum status to your wife (please note that granted status through Amex does not qualify for the 10 years of platinum for life).
lynxy is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:59 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,951
Similar question if I may: I am currently Plat until April next year. If I get the FB Plat AMEX now will the expiration date of the person whom I gift Plat to be synchronized to my expiration date (i.e. they will drop to Gold once I do) or will they have a full year of Plat?
mfkne is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 3:16 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Posts: 4,637
Before FB moved to a rolling membership year, the Platinum FB status through the FB Amex co-card was granted through the end of March of each year (to coincide with the annual level check). I am also curious to see if now with the rolling membership year, the status is granted for 15 months or through March of the year (same as old system).

Does anyone have any experiences with this?
Gajan is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 4:35 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: FB platinum
Posts: 152
Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
I am also curious to see if now with the rolling membership year, the status is granted for 15 months or through March of the year (same as old system).

Does anyone have any experiences with this?
Yes, it is granted for 15 months once you qualify (source: my girlfriend's co-card expired in 11/19, and when it got renewed at the end of August, it says it expires in 11/20). But I don't have experience regarding a co-card holder that does not receive his/her card at the same time as the main card holder (I qualified for Platinum after being Gold, so both our cards were upgraded at the same time).

Fun fact, my girlfriend always receives her new card 2 months before me which seems very unfair (it happened both last year and this year too)
Gajan likes this.
lynxy is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 4:57 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by lynxy View Post
Yes, it is granted for 15 months once you qualify (source: my girlfriend's co-card expired in 11/19, and when it got renewed at the end of August, it says it expires in 11/20). But I don't have experience regarding a co-card holder that does not receive his/her card at the same time as the main card holder (I qualified for Platinum after being Gold, so both our cards were upgraded at the same time).

Fun fact, my girlfriend always receives her new card 2 months before me which seems very unfair (it happened both last year and this year too)
Last year I qualified for plat in october and got my card until 01/20.
I subscribed for amex to share the status with my mother and she ended up to get a card valid until 02/20 when she got upgraded in november. So it seems to be granted for 15months.

The thing I am wondering is what happens if I change the co-card from my mother to my wife ? I guess my wife will get upgraded to plat for 15 months. What about my mother : back to silver (status she would have with 150xp at the moment) or soft landing to gold ? When would it happen ? 02/20 or immediately when i change the co-card ?
Gajan likes this.
canadavid is offline  
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:43 am
  #7  
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Posts: 4,637
Originally Posted by canadavid View Post
Last year I qualified for plat in october and got my card until 01/20.
I subscribed for amex to share the status with my mother and she ended up to get a card valid until 02/20 when she got upgraded in november. So it seems to be granted for 15months.

The thing I am wondering is what happens if I change the co-card from my mother to my wife ? I guess my wife will get upgraded to plat for 15 months. What about my mother : back to silver (status she would have with 150xp at the moment) or soft landing to gold ? When would it happen ? 02/20 or immediately when i change the co-card ?
In principle and unless the rules have changed, she should benefit from the regular soft landing rules (I.e. drop down one level per time).
Gajan is offline  
Old Oct 30, 19, 4:31 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,951
And does anyone know if the expiration of the partner's platinum status is synchronized with the expiration of the main card holder's platinum status?
mfkne is offline  
Old Oct 30, 19, 6:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: TLS
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
In principle and unless the rules have changed, she should benefit from the regular soft landing rules (I.e. drop down one level per time).
I confirm the soft landing (posted here)

Fred
schlegfr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: