Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Moving from Delta to Flying Blue -- using AMEX points!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta; American Express

Have couple questions. Been booking for over 25 years business class seats using AMEX points with Delta. Now that Delta has doubled or tripled miles required to book seats, looking at options. Can I join Flying Blue now and transfer points from AMEX to Flying Blue and immediately book my seats. Is the transfer 1:1? Can miles in Flying Blue account be used by either KLM or AF? Therefore, if I am trying to get nonstop from IAH to AMS, I should call KLM or if I want nonstop between Paris and Houston, call AF. Thanks for help.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Texas_Duck
Have couple questions. Been booking for over 25 years business class seats using AMEX points with Delta. Now that Delta has doubled or tripled miles required to book seats, looking at options. Can I join Flying Blue now and transfer points from AMEX to Flying Blue and immediately book my seats. Is the transfer 1:1? Can miles in Flying Blue account be used by either KLM or AF? Therefore, if I am trying to get nonstop from IAH to AMS, I should call KLM or if I want nonstop between Paris and Houston, call AF. Thanks for help.
Normally the transfer is instant, BUT in your case it would likely be red-flagged immediately by Flying Blue because you have not flown with them- there are numerous cases of this ! People have a new or zero-balance FB account, and decide to transfer MR miles solely for an award ticket........the miles are then cancelled/frozen. So don't try this.

To answer your other question, FB miles can be used on AF/KLM or some other Skyteam carriers too, but for AF/KLM the award pricing is dynamic so it can vary based on demand.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mlin32
Normally the transfer is instant, BUT in your case it would likely be red-flagged immediately by Flying Blue because you have not flown with them- there are numerous cases of this ! People have a new or zero-balance FB account, and decide to transfer MR miles solely for an award ticket........the miles are then cancelled/frozen. So don't try this.

To answer your other question, FB miles can be used on AF/KLM or some other Skyteam carriers too, but for AF/KLM the award pricing is dynamic so it can vary based on demand.
You can do it, but do it over the phone the very first time you redeem miles, and preferably redeem them in your own name.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
You might want to read through this thread before you make a move...

Air France/FB says my 317,000+ MR transfer is FRAUD! Help!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
To answer your questions:
1. transfer 1:1: you have to check with your credit card website.
2.Yes FB miles can be used on either AF, KL any ST partner and some other airlines.
3.You need to call FB (Flying Blue) tp book an award, not the airline itself,

Now the issue of transferring cc miles on a newly created FB account. The transaction will be flagged and they will have you go through hoops.
We have some horror stories on FT, but I sometimes feel that the OP gives a biased version of the story.
Booking a ticket for someone else is a no no.
But if you book the ticket for yourself with miles transferred from your own AMEX, I think that you will end up successful. However it might take a bit of time before they issue the ticket and will perform some verification. Personally, I know of two examples (not reported on FT) that went through either quickly or after a couple of weeks. The good thing is that they usually let you do the booking (so you can grab available seats) and then investigate.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
To answer your questions:
1. transfer 1:1: you have to check with your credit card website.
2.Yes FB miles can be used on either AF, KL any ST partner and some other airlines.
3.You need to call FB (Flying Blue) tp book an award, not the airline itself,

Now the issue of transferring cc miles on a newly created FB account. The transaction will be flagged and they will have you go through hoops.
We have some horror stories on FT, but I sometimes feel that the OP gives a biased version of the story.
Booking a ticket for someone else is a no no.
But if you book the ticket for yourself with miles transferred from your own AMEX, I think that you will end up successful. However it might take a bit of time before they issue the ticket and will perform some verification. Personally, I know of two examples (not reported on FT) that went through either quickly or after a couple of weeks. The good thing is that they usually let you do the booking (so you can grab available seats) and then investigate.
I think this is a very fair assessment of what can happen and very good advices for future posters who will be in the same situation.
paris1000 and SDQBound like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Texas_Duck
As above it would be far better if you had a history with the AF/KLM Flying Blue ffp. Fly some DL flights or FB parnter and credit to FB

Amex have other partners
Amex MR Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?

Some ffp's have better award availability for their own members and less for partners . Or saver vs anytime (very many ff miles)
FF miles are not all equal to earn or burn, but credit cards can transfer at the same rate.
A guide to ff miles needed on some ffp's as link. With the trend to dynamic awards this will come harder to predict.
--> www.awardhacker.com
--> www.wheretocredit.com/dl
--> www.wheretocredit.com/klm
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Any thoughts on whether a FB account that has been nicely 'aged' but has no actual flight history is considered to be a fraud risk? A little over a year back when FB made it possible to keep miles earned by partner activity from expiring by earning additional partner miles, I created my account and have been dumping redemptions from e-Rewards and another survey program into the account as well as Amex points when there's a good bonus offer in play.

Prolly won't redeem anything from there until the account is 2+ years old, and it works out better for me to credit SkyTeam flights to Delta, so I'd like to not credit actual flights to FB unless it seems like I have to in order to avoid drawing a fraud flag.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:13 pm

Quite a bit of fear mongering in these posts. I have transferred and booked tickets immediately using Amex>FB as well as my wife. Two different and brand new accounts without issue. No program is ever perfect but stick with these rules and you will be fine: names on both accounts match, book tickets in your name only, and keep the route simple. Always call and confirm your tickets when issued as well.
paris1000 and brunos like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.